Is working out near maximum heart rate safe?

Options
A lot of the time while doing cardio, my heart rate is within the 80-90% of it's maximum. I always back off if I feel like I'm pushing too hard, but most of the time I feel fine and like I can keep going. Is this dangerous, or am I fine to keep going?

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I would ignore the heart rate ranges. If you feel fine then you really weren't that high...at least in the percentages. If you get to where your body can't handle something it will take care of it's self by shutting YOU down temporaily in order to protect itself...ie pass out, light headedness etc.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When you say 80 to 90% are you using 220-your age as the MaxHR? If so (and you feel ok) you're one of the people that the formula understates your MaxHR.

I usually go by perceived exertion. If you're gasping for air you're pushing too hard.

You didn't mention what type of cardio you're doing. If you're running the majority of your runs should be at a pace at which you can hold a conversation.

If you do have any concerns it's always a good idea to speak with your doctor, if needed you can take a stress test to establish what your MaxHR really is.
  • jshort152
    Options
    85% should be perfectly fine unless you have heart related or respiratory problems.

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am the same - for high intensity cardio classes I spend most of the time in the 160s and 170s, frequently coming within 5 beats of my maximum. But it is a theoretical maximum, I think everyone is different. Listen to your body, if you are struggling, take it down a notch. Bad signs are breathlessness (you should be able to speak), chest discomfort/pain, palpitations, dizziness/light-headedness - see your doctor if this happens.
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I had a stress test done to measure my real MHR and it is *no where near* the numbers on those charts. When I work out with the chart numbers (220 - my age) I am not even breaking a sweat. I have to push much harder. It has nothing to do with my fitness - it is just a genetic fact.

If you can afford it, it might be worth it to you to have a personal trainer or a doctor do a test with you on a treadmill.
  • filming_ghosts
    Options
    The types of cardio I do range, but normally it's running or jump roping. I can generally hold a conversation, but I get a little winded when pushing myself. Nothing that I'm literally gasping for air though. :)

You guys are awesome, thanks for the help!