Overwhelmed

Options
I am so overwhelmed with losing weight. How do I deal with this burden?

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    That's what the forum is for... support. Whatever issue you are having, there are people here that can help, and provide support and motivation. What is it that is overwhelming you?
  • browa02
    browa02 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am in te same boat. Felling very stressed out. I would love some advice too!
  • geral4479WECHANGED
    Options
    Everything. Making small changes, meal plans, exercise, trying to relax, counting calories, and counting carbs. Even the littlest things are a burden. I am a type A personality who is struggling.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple to start with. Calories in vs. calories out. Maintain a caloric deficit and you'll be fine. Once you have that part down start looking at quality of what you're eating. After that start working on macro-nutrients (carbs/fats/protein) and their percentages. Then move on to dealing with exercise calories and "eating them back".

One thing at a time. But when it comes to pure weight loss all that matters is being in a calorie deficit, so start there.
  • Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone... I feel your pain. Change can be trying, even when the change is desired.
    It might be helpful to break down the thing(s) that are overwhelming you the most into their smallest parts and then take them on one by one. For example, I moved a few weeks ago. And when I thought about having to pack and move my entire house I would become paralyzed by the thought of it and was unable to take action. However, when I thought about just packing one room at a time (and sometimes I could only think about one drawer at a time) it became a bit easier to move forward.
    So break it down. Take one peice at a time. As you master one or two steps on your journey all future steps will become easier and the pieces will begin to fit together without as much effort.
    Seek out support regularly to vent your fears and frustration; and to gain encouragment and kudos.
    Best wishes!
  • dukslayer4051
    dukslayer4051 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    if you are anything like me, i have always been a lil on the heavy side but one day i woke up and was just plain fat. i spent the first 10 yrs out of the military getting bigger and bigger. i started my weight loss i was 344lbs, now im down to 254 and i still have about 35 lbs to go. these last 35 have been hard to lose and i work out really heard to lose a pound at a time. i keep telling myself that i spent the last 10 yrs getting fat, im not going to be skinny overnight, !!!but it will happen!!! one pound at a time. watch your nutrition and add exercise. sounds easy but it is so hard to stick to what needs to be done at times. if you fall off the wagon, get back up and start again tomorrow fresh, its a new day! the biggest thing is this....NEVER GIVE UP! its a decision and its work, there is no magic pill. you can do it though, i know you can!

also check out this website it has been verrrrrrry helpful to me.

www.Fat2fitradio.com
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Just try to make small changes. Try to stay within your calories to start with. Exercise does not have to be something dramatic, just start with walking a little ways every day. When I started, I weighed over 300 pounds, and I could not walk very far. I am still very overweight, but I walk 3 to 4 miles a day now,easily and it has only been 5 months. I am actually thinking about doing a 5k in a month or too. The little changes start to add up, andt hen you realize you have come a long way. 6 months ago if you had told me I would be getting up at 4:30 every morning to walk, give up soda, and eat nothing but fruits and veggies, I would have hurt myself laughing. But changes can be made. You just have to do them at a pace that you can manage. Don't try to change everything all at once if it is too much for you.
    It is better to make changes slowly and give yourself time to adjust than to do it all at once and then give up because you are frustrated. Hang in there, YOU can DO THIS!!!
  • jshort152
    Options
    Go look in a mirror and tell yourself to quit. See if you can do it..
  • ColtyHan
    ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. Some find it easier to take it day by day and not get overwhelmed by the big # of pounds they want to lose. I find it easier to look ahead at my goals and know that this process is going to take at least a year. When I get frustrated about how long it is taking, I just remind myself that it is supposed to take a long time. Some people get stressed out by the scale, and just look at the process as getting healthier. They don't weigh in, and just go by measurements. You need to find what works for you. The only thing that is guaranteed not to work is giving up. As long as you don't do that, you will figure it out.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Learn. Read everything you can, obsessively. Information is truly power.

Spend a good amount of time going through these message boards, and ask questions (like you did here). This is a great community, and very supportive. I've been exercising since I was 12 years old, and now (many many many years later), I've actually started learning about what I'm doing. I would say I've learned more in the past 3 months about fitness, nutrition, and exercise than I had in the previous 30 years - not an overstatement.

One of the great things about MFP is that you'll see a lot of different ideas about topics, which you don't get from books (although books are great too, and certainly have their place). Someone will post a thread about a certain topic, and 50 people will chime in about their experiences, or what they've learned through their own research. You get to read all that, learn a lot, and then make your own decision about what you think will be right for you. Join groups that focus on the ideas that resonate with you, and get supportive people on your friends list.

So, just being on here, and reading the message boards, you're on your way. Be patient, and keep reading and learning. Try things, monitor your progress, and try other things. You can do it!!
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple to start with. Calories in vs. calories out. Maintain a caloric deficit and you'll be fine. Once you have that part down start looking at quality of what you're eating. After that start working on macro-nutrients (carbs/fats/protein) and their percentages. Then move on to dealing with exercise calories and "eating them back".

One thing at a time. But when it comes to pure weight loss all that matters is being in a calorie deficit, so start there.

^^^ I totally agree. Don't try to do too much at once. Every improvement helps and when you have a part down solid, move to the next thing. I think that helped me make this a lifestyle and not a "diet".

Also, please remember that if you don't have a "perfect" day, the world isn't over and it doesn't negate all the good choices you've made. Go immediately back to making those good choices.

Good luck.