Need low calorie sauce for Salmon please?

Options
IamOnMywayNow
IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
I am looking for a low cal sauce to put on top of my Salmon. But nothing sweet because I dont like sweet sauces :) Thanks

Replies

• DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    shallot, capers, white wine, butter
    Yummy!!!!!
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice, why spoil a nice piece of slamon?
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    oops, salmon.
  • innerjourney63
    innerjourney63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dill sauce is a classic salmon sauce: half lowfat sour cream, half nonfat plain yogurt to stretch it, mix with minced fresh dill herb
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I've topped it with a Greek vinaigrette before broiling - lots of flavor, low cals. Or just plain with a little sprinkle of salt and pepper. I use random things that I have on hand - usually salad dressings or marinades. It's always good! :smile:
  • innerjourney63
    innerjourney63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree, it needs very little if it isn't over cooked. I broil mine and take it out while its a tad undercooked in the center. It'll finish cooking out of the oven if you leave it set still for a few minutes.

I really love some Chef Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic (from the dry herb section) sprinkled on top before I cook it. Really compliments the flavor without overpowering or changing it.
  • triplestepping
    triplestepping Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Are you choosing wild salmon? If you're getting fresh wild salmon, there's almost no reason to put a sauce on it. Farmed salmon tastes far worse by comparison; always go for the wild caught, if possible. Also, don't overcook it. [Edited to agree with those posting above me] Tender perfectly cooked salmon has a wonderful texture, and the flavours are more enjoyable. Overcooked salmon is mealy and dry—then I can see why covering it some kind of sauce would improve it.

I usually steam mine in foil on the BBQ with some fresh lemon juice and freshly cracked black pepper (or pink peppercorns).

Other options for salmon:

Steaming it with cedar strips or baking it on a cedar plank. This might be a Pacific Northwest thing to do, but it's heavenly.

Dill, fresh or dried, usually with the lemon (although the lemon is nice on its own).

Maple syrup (altho not technically low cal, a very little goes a long way in terms of flavour; you want subtle flavouring, not masking. You could brush on a very thin layer before cooking)

Low-sodium soy sauce (again a VERY little goes a long way; brush it on lightly)

Ginger (steam some pieces of fresh ginger with the fish)

Thai sweet chili sauce (again brush on v. lightly, as it contains some sugar)

You could combine the chili sauce with ginger and/or soy, the ginger with soy, the soy with maple, the maple with cedar, the cedar with lemon and/or dill.

Good luck!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I prefer it best with a little olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh black pepper, cooked on the grill till it gets a nice sear. (I cook it on heavy duty foil so it doesn't stick to the grill)

It's also great marinated in any kind of soy/ginger or citrus.

You can also poach it in stock with loads of fresh herbs and a little wine.
  • semperfly
    semperfly Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    sauce
    roast 2 poblano peppers, 2 red peppers, seed them cut them in slices. put them in a food processor with a handful of cilantro, some garlic, start the food processor, add a little bit of EVVO. once done, stir in some light mayo until it is smooth and creamy (about 2 tablespoons)
    (the sauce is much better if it sits in the fridge overnight)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'd blob some tomato salsa on there.
  • Starla_86
    Options
    I absolutely love mine with a tablespoon of thick Greek yogurt and then sprinkled with some spices of your choice...it's so tasty.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I make a healthy version of a hollandaise sauce in a minute in the microwave. Great over salmon or to dress a nice salad with the leftover salmon or shrimp. I pour about a 1/2 cup of egg beaters into a cup and add about 2 tbls of lemon juice, herb d'provence, and mrs dash. Microwave about a minute stirring every 15 seconds. Add more lemon juice, orange juice, or water to thin to desired consistancy. Yummy!
  • ginib
    ginib Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Grill mine on a cedar plank, soaked for a couple of hours in water. Sprinkle with a herb type of seasoning. Top with homemade pesto sauce.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    White sauce~milk. cornstarch (mixed with water), butter & lemon pepper seasoning or spice/herbs of your choice..simpe & easy!
  • IamOnMywayNow
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great ideas!!
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love hoisin sauce (chinese food section) on salmon; sides are Wild rice pilaf, asparagus and broccoli.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    My wife made it the other day -

Honey Dijon Mustard liberally over the top
    Sprinkle toasted bread crumbs over the top
    Dill I believe was added
    Bake
    Enjoy
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar reduction, with some orange zest in it.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    Options
    I have a bottle of balsamic vinegar but i have no idea how to make a reduction......school me please:)