WHY DO PEOPLE EAT BACK THEIR EXERCISE CALS?!

Replies

• zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Bump
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    im gunna go have a beer....well wait its a quarter mile walk to the bar so ima have 1.4 beers...feedin the machine
  • Cherryblosm3
    Cherryblosm3 Posts: 106 Member
    im gunna go have a beer....well wait its a quarter mile walk to the bar so ima have 1.4 beers...feedin the machine

lol I get it now. Thanks Brown.

Ill just drink back my exercise cals. This forum is getting better than i expected!
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Obese people feel better knowing they can eat more after they workout and as long as they're still in a caloric deficit it works but it just makes people feel better about eating more for the most part.

Oh please...I burned an extra 1500 cals yesterday and a further 1400 today. If I didn't eat back my calories (or some of them) I'd be exhausted. I really need to concentrate whilst working, I cannot afford to be hungry/tired.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Why do people give a crap what other people do?

There is a deficit built into your calorie intake if you are sent to any of the losing settings - if people want to eat their workout calories back and lose at a slower rate, that really isn't your concern.

If people didn`t give a crap about what other people do then they would not post a question?

So they make it other people`s concern when they ask for information or advice :-)

OP was being a bit judgmental and also acting like everyone is here to lose weight at the fastest rate possible and everyone doing it differently is somehow wrong. She "cares" in the wrong way.

She wasn't really asking advice - she was making assumptions and ranting without taking the time to really consider a 1.5-2 weekly weight loss isn't sustainable for most people, especially if they don't have a lot of weight to drop. OP also doesn't seem to understand that exercise isn't done solely to lose weight. Just like it isn't done solely to be able to eat more, or look better naked, or any one single thing.

Thats what I was thinking? lol Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Well why don't you tell us what you were thinking?
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    As a former olympic decathlete, Doctor of Nutrition and PT, winner of the prestigious Conrad Elvehjem Award for Public Service in Nutrition, Professor at Yale, Worlds Strongest Man, and pulitzer prize winning author of "You're Fat and I'm Not so $uck It", I can say with confident aplomb and candor that I'm...Never gonna give you up, never gone let you down, never gonna run around and desert you.

mmmmmm dessert (good thing I exercised first)
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Because it works. And what everyone else said: MFP puts you in a deficit. There's no need to create a bigger one.

Believe it or not, at the deficit you're operating at, you may not see the weight loss you want. Slow and steady is the best way to go that is usually the most effect. Too few calories a day and weight loss typically stalls.

Try what you want, but if you'd like to keep the weight off post-wedding AND honeymoon, I strongly suggest you go the more conservative life-style approach route that many of us follow. After all, staying fit and sexy once you're married is a LOT more important than being skinny for one day i.e. your wedding day.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    its very simple mermaid....the only thing i track is how much food i eat......period.....i workout hard and if im still hungry some days ill eat a little more....if im not i wont....im not going to eat just to fuel my "machine"...eat 1900 cals a day now and work butt off 5 days a week in gym...why waste more time than needed tracking estimated numbers

Are you still trying to lose, or is that your maintenance number? Because if you're maintaining at 1900... that's pretty darn low for a young, healthy guy. :frown:

I'm a fairly short 40 year old woman and I eat more than 1900 most days. Yay for a good metabolism! :drinker:
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member

There is a deficit built into your calorie intake if you are sent to any of the losing settings - if people want to eat their workout calories back and lose at a slower rate, that really isn't your concern.

It is a concern if she wants to know the reason that people do it to further her own progress. Same as if I asked why in the world people would want to 'clean eat' or be a vegetarian... We ask questions to better understand things. I didn't read even ONE time the OP asking people to STOP eating their exercise calories. Maybe I missed it??? :huh:
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    I usually don't eat my calories back, but that's if I exercise at night. If I exercise in the morning or afternoon, I'm going to starve myself all day. O.o

I look at it this way: What I burn off equates "I can have that glass of milk that helps me sleep at night" if I'm well-under my calorie goal.

I didn't eat my calories back when I first started, and I didn't lose anything. When I ate back a little bit, eight pounds fell off easily within a week. If you listen to your body, it will tell you what it needs.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Obese people feel better knowing they can eat more after they workout and as long as they're still in a caloric deficit it works but it just makes people feel better about eating more for the most part.

a 19 year old "personal trainer" who doesn't know a darn thing about being "obese". Yeah. Sure.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    its very simple mermaid....the only thing i track is how much food i eat......period.....i workout hard and if im still hungry some days ill eat a little more....if im not i wont....im not going to eat just to fuel my "machine"...eat 1900 cals a day now and work butt off 5 days a week in gym...why waste more time than needed tracking estimated numbers

Are you still trying to lose, or is that your maintenance number? Because if you're maintaining at 1900... that's pretty darn low for a young, healthy guy. :frown:

I'm a fairly short 40 year old woman and I eat more than 1900 most days. Yay for a good metabolism! :drinker:

still got about 10 more.......i will bump up when get where i want
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress

It is a concern if she wants to know the reason that people do it to further her own progress. Same as if I asked why in the world people would want to 'clean eat' or be a vegetarian... We ask questions to better understand things. I didn't read even ONE time the OP asking people to STOP eating their exercise calories. Maybe I missed it??? :huh:

This particular point is one often argued about in the forums and divisive. There is no right or wrong answer so long as you are netting a healthy number of calories in a day. The concern expressed by OP is why would people possibly want to lose weight slower, which includes the assumption that people are working out to lose weight, which is misguided at best.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member

If people didn`t give a crap about what other people do then they would not post a question?

So they make it other people`s concern when they ask for information or advice :-)

OP was being a bit judgmental and also acting like everyone is here to lose weight at the fastest rate possible and everyone doing it differently is somehow wrong. She "cares" in the wrong way.

She wasn't really asking advice - she was making assumptions and ranting without taking the time to really consider a 1.5-2 weekly weight loss isn't sustainable for most people, especially if they don't have a lot of weight to drop. OP also doesn't seem to understand that exercise isn't done solely to lose weight. Just like it isn't done solely to be able to eat more, or look better naked, or any one single thing.

I don't know about you....but I work out solely to look AWESOME naked. :devil:
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976

Thats what I was thinking? lol Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Well why don't you tell us what you were thinking?

maybe anh we got a little towards there in the end lol! but am sure the OP will tell us what they are thinking....won`t ya hun?
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    To fuel my body with the appropriate amount of calories and macros to keep things functioning properly so I don't make myself sick from under-eating.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress

I don't know about you....but I work out solely to look AWESOME naked. :devil:

I do it to be able to lick extra melted chocolate off of my hus.... nevermind. :devil:
  • wow - i'm so glad i checked in with this board. it all makes more sense now. i totally didn't get the "earning back calories" thing. now I'll eat that Skinny Cow ice cream guilt free! Life is too short not to have ice cream once in a while. i guess it's all about choices.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    You look great...just curious - how tall are you?

Im 5'5, 187 lbs.
    Im supposed to be 140lbs MAX (according to my doctor)
    I'm 6ft and you weigh more than me? Sorry, but judging by your profile pic I call BS.

Ill post a pic of the scale just for you :)
    No seriously where are you carrying it? I'm not talking a little more than me, it's 19 lbs.

Wow. As a 5'2'' woman who also weighs 168, I wonder if you're a total stick at 6'?
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    wow - i'm so glad i checked in with this board. it all makes more sense now. i totally didn't get the "earning back calories" thing. now I'll eat that Skinny Cow ice cream guilt free! Life is too short not to have ice cream once in a while. i guess it's all about choices.

Please don't litter the thread with this nonsense. Someone might actually think you are being serious! :noway:

DO NOT EAT ****TY CALORIES PEOPLE! IF YOU ARE EATING BACK EXERCISE CALORIES, IT SHOULD BE HEALTHY FOOD!