Heart Rate- Burn

Options
Supposedly for my age group (35) 80% of my heart rate while doing cardiovascular is like 154. I don't even break a sweat at that pace. I feel a great workout when i hit between 180-182. Is that bad???? Anyone know about this?

Replies

• oregongal77
    Options
    My heart rate gets up tp 180-190 too, Im 35 too. That is when I feel the burn and start to sweat. Any advice would be good!
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    What are you using to measure your heart rate?
  • oregongal77
    Options
    I use the heart rate monitors on the equipment, and also will check it with my BP machine as soon as Im done.
  • recriger
    Options
    Ok, cool. The HRM was what I was wondering about. I've stopped using the monitors on equipment myself. I can switch machines at the gym and they can differ (at my gym) by up to 20 beats.

I currently run 3 miles, 4 times a week. I start sweating (clamy skin) at around 133 bpm. In the 150's I am wiping my eyes and by the time I get to 172 bpm I am burning and gasping. This is with a steady pace of 10 minute miles. No sprinting to get the rate up quickly.

Are you keeping your heart rate in he 170's for an extended period? I mean 20 minutes or more? I can get my heart rate up to 160 rather quickly and not start sweating, but I can't keep it there for long while remaining dry.

For a 35 year old who has a resting heart rate of around 70-80, 187 is the Max heart rate. If you were to keep that up for an extended period you wouldn't be able to breathe unless you were an elite athlete, and they don' t keep it there for very long at all. It's too much for the heart.

Here is a good website that breaks down all the zones and has a calculator for the different rates. Consider all these as being useful calculations for sessions of 20 minutes or longer, no bursts.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm
  • Maricela526
    Maricela526 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The 180+ heart range is only reached when I'm doing my interval training and I'm at a full on sprint (for me its between 8 or 9mph) for a full minute. So for example I love to workout on the treadmil/run. I start off with a 5minute warm up/brisk walk. Once I hit the 5 minute mark, I increase my speed to 5mph and run for about 5 minutes or until I feel i'm getting into the grove. I increase my speed between 5.3-5.5mph and run at a steady pace for 15minutes for a total of about a little over a mile. After my run, I will walk for a few minutes and than start my interval training. This is how it goes. I start off running at 8mph for 1 minute and walk for 2 minutes, run again 8mph for 1 minute and walk 2 minutes. when I'm feeling a little confident, I will do the 9mph for 1 minute and I feel like I'm DYING but push it for the full minute. I think at that point my heart reaches the 180+ mark. I do this for about 20 minutes. My cardio workouts are for 40minutes a day and 20 mins strength for a total of 1hr.

FYI: Tomorrow will be my 1 month anniversary that I started working out. I workout 5 days per week. I run between 17-19 miles a week (total).. I'm buidling my way up slowly but surely.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm hearing I need to monitor my heart level and have no idea where I need to be at, what is more accurate, etc. I will def check out that website.
  • oregongal77
    Options
    Great information, thank you so much.
    Sounds like I should get a heart rate monitor.
    Do you wear it the entire time while working out?
    Do you have any recomendations?

You both are way more advanced then me, Im just starting out.
    Thanks for the inspiration!
  • recriger
    Options
    Oregongal-- I wear a Polar PF7 (fairly sure it's the 7). It has a chest strap, but I don't even feel that while working out. I wear it throughout all of my cardio work without a problem. I believe it was something like $70 and not the top of the line. I couldn't justify more money for features that I wouldn't use. This one lets you set your max heart rate and lets you set a range that will give an alarm when you reach the rate you want to sustain. It can track several other types of information but I rarely use it for anything beyond basic heart rate and calorie count. You can track a series of activities as well and it will track them seperately. Very useful device.

I used to wear it for weight lifting before finding out that it was unreliable when used that way. There was an explaination several months ago that I can't remember in full, but the basic issue is that the heart rate increase from weights has a different cause than with cardio. When you run you cause a general increase in the need for oxygen in the muscles. The heart rate increases to pump this additional oxygen. That is what increases the calorie burn. Weights increase your heart rate through an increase of pressure in the chest cavity due to strain. That does not activate the same internal systems so the linear count on an HRM is not acurate. This is NOT the explaination you would recieve from a trained professional. This is just the parts of the article that I remember.
  • recriger
    Options
    The 180+ heart range is only reached when I'm doing my interval training and I'm at a full on sprint (for me its between 8 or 9mph) for a full minute. So for example I love to workout on the treadmil/run. I start off with a 5minute warm up/brisk walk. Once I hit the 5 minute mark, I increase my speed to 5mph and run for about 5 minutes or until I feel i'm getting into the grove. I increase my speed between 5.3-5.5mph and run at a steady pace for 15minutes for a total of about a little over a mile. After my run, I will walk for a few minutes and than start my interval training. This is how it goes. I start off running at 8mph for 1 minute and walk for 2 minutes, run again 8mph for 1 minute and walk 2 minutes. when I'm feeling a little confident, I will do the 9mph for 1 minute and I feel like I'm DYING but push it for the full minute. I think at that point my heart reaches the 180+ mark. I do this for about 20 minutes. My cardio workouts are for 40minutes a day and 20 mins strength for a total of 1hr.

FYI: Tomorrow will be my 1 month anniversary that I started working out. I workout 5 days per week. I run between 17-19 miles a week (total).. I'm buidling my way up slowly but surely.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm hearing I need to monitor my heart level and have no idea where I need to be at, what is more accurate, etc. I will def check out that website.

You make me rather envious. I wish I was currently capable of HIIT training. I have just recently left the machines and started running on the roads. Very humbling experience, I can't use the term "Running" or "Jogging" when describing my exercise. I have to use terms more along the lines of "Speed waddling". Over the last 2 month I have strained probably everything possible in my knees. I was even down for 2 weeks after straining my MCL's..yup...both of them. So until I lose a few more pounds and work the strength of my knees up I have to control my over-eager self and go slow. Luckily I get up at 4:30am to jog, so there are no witnesses!

Your program sounds great, Have fun!
  • oregongal77
    Options
    Thanks for the info! i will look into it.