So tough not seeing results...

Options
Hi everyone-

Need some motivation :(
I am on a very strict 1300 cal (sometimes 1200) no junk food diet and burn about 400 calories jogging & walking my dog, 5-6 nights a week. Now, given, It has only been 5 days, but I have actually GAINED 6 pounds. It's so frustrating when I work so hard and am so disciplined but see opposite results. Has anyone experienced similar results? How do you keep yourself on track to make it through in the long run?

Replies

• missanglang
    missanglang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    same here and it is frustrating but i'm not going to stop. i cannot see a move in the scale that i want. the inches are not coming off as quick as i would like but...it's only been a few weeks. i've been eating at or slightly under my calories for almost a month. working out consistantly for 2-3 weeks. but last week when i went to my regular. dr. checkup my heartrate was better than it had been, blood pressure better than it's been in years and no sugar in my urine when i'd been having sugar problems for over a year. so i keep going because i have to believe that i'm banking this huge weightloss but i have to keep going to see it happen. i have been unhealthy for 16 years now, i'm not going to see the results i want in 2 weeks. but i will in 2 months. and next year i am going to look and feel amazing.
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone-

I am on a very strict 1300 cal (sometimes 1200) no junk food diet and burn about 400 calories jogging & walking my dog, 5-6 nights a week. Now, given, It has only been 5 days, but I have actually GAINED 6 pounds. It's so frustrating when I work so hard and am so disciplined but see opposite results. Has anyone experienced similar results? How do you keep yourself on track to make it through in the long run?

Did you make all those changes at once?
  • cournae
    cournae Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone-

I'm not really sure what you mean by that... I've been counting calories for about 6 months but in the past week have cut back from about 1800/day with almost no exercise to now 1200/day and a lot more rigorous exercise and discipline about what foods I eat (cut out all alcohol and junk)
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    They say your weight can fluctuate by up to 5lbs a day. My weight has been up and down all week, then today it was back down to where i hoped it would be. Even then i weighed myself 1 hour later (just to test) and was +2lbs!!! I take more notice of my measurements and what i can see in the mirror. Have you done measurements?
  • fanipack
    fanipack Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi everyone-

DO NOT GIVE UP !!

I'm down 60 lbs since October 2011 and have been hovering around 170-175 for the past 3-4 months but have lost 2 inches in my waist. I contribute this to strength training and eating at slight caloric deficit.

It's absolutely frustrating to have a strict diet + regular exercise and NOT see the scale move. Do not give up because I promise you with time a dedication it will come off. Just focus on eating at a caloric deficit and regular exercise.

How's your water intake and sleep ?
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone-

I'm not really sure what you mean by that... I've been counting calories for about 6 months but in the past week have cut back from about 1800/day with almost no exercise to now 1200/day and a lot more rigorous exercise and discipline about what foods I eat (cut out all alcohol and junk)

It just seems to me like a lot of huge changes all at once. That works for some people, but for me, small changes work better. I think I would have gotten very frustrated if I had done all the things you're doing all at once. That helped ease the frustration factor for me.
  • cournae
    cournae Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone-

DO NOT GIVE UP !!

I'm down 60 lbs since October 2011 and have been hovering around 170-175 for the past 3-4 months but have lost 2 inches in my waist. I contribute this to strength training and eating at slight caloric deficit.

It's absolutely frustrating to have a strict diet + regular exercise and NOT see the scale move. Do not give up because I promise you with time a dedication it will come off. Just focus on eating at a caloric deficit and regular exercise.

60-70 ounces of water/ day and I sleep AT LEAST 7 hours (If not - it's not fun to be around me in the morning lol)

I'm going to just stay on track and attribute it to water weight at this point. I'm going to get out the tape measure tonight to see if I see results anywhere else besides the scale. It could also be because I don't have much to lose to begin with- only 20 pounds, so it might be coming off a little slower & steady

time to just relax a bit and have a beer or 2 while watching the packers game tonight. (saved some extra calories for this!) :)
  • ccole4
    ccole4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone-

EAT MORE! ur bodys not getting enough fuel..i was eating 1200 netting less or about 1200..riding bikes EVERY DAY and only lost 4 pounds in 5 weeks. upped my calories to 1630 ive already lost 2 pds this week
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    simple, eat more and be patient. :drinker:
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    I also think you need more. Your caloric intake seems low to me. .
  • littlejobo120
    littlejobo120 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you're doing that much exercise you NEED to eat more.

I wrote a reply to a post the other day on this thread that you might find useful. Hope it helps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/692123-feedback-on-my-diary-please-please-please

Good luck!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    simple, eat more and be patient. :drinker:

^^^THIS. Not sure why you changed what you were eating so drastically. Add in more exercise OR reduce calories. Not both at the same time. 1800 with as much work as your doing might not be enough. Bump it up to 1900 maybe and see what happens.
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. As soon as I started eating more, the weight started coming off. I know its hard to think "eat more to lose more" but it works when you are exercising so much and eating so few calories. I only stick to 1200 calories when I do NO exercise. And patience is definitely key here, as everyone is saying. You will go through spurts and lulls, thats just how your body will work. And everyones body is different, you will go through a lot of trial and error to find that right combination of exercise/intake. Keep it up!
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    They're right... eat more. Also, change up your workout routines sometimes. Your body gets used to doing things, and it slacks by using that memory to relax. You should shock it every week by doing something different. :) Good luck, and don't give up! I haven't!
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I feel your frustration and pain. My weight loss is very slow..despite mostly eating right and exercise. For me, when I get down about it I think about how far I've come.. 2 years ago, I couldn't walk around the block..now, I am running 3-4 miles 3 times a week.. I can run for an hour without stopping.. I've lost clothes sizes..

You don't have a lot to lose so be patient..and don't give up..at the very least you are gaining physical fitness and that in itself is huge..the benefits of eating right and being fit outweigh the scale..(now, If only I could take my own advice..lol)

Add me if you'd like.

Good luck,
    Dawn
  • ccole4
    ccole4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I feel your frustration and pain. My weight loss is very slow..despite mostly eating right and exercise. For me, when I get down about it I think about how far I've come.. 2 years ago, I couldn't walk around the block..now, I am running 3-4 miles 3 times a week.. I can run for an hour without stopping.. I've lost clothes sizes..

You don't have a lot to lose so be patient..and don't give up..at the very least you are gaining physical fitness and that in itself is huge..the benefits of eating right and being fit outweigh the scale..(now, If only I could take my own advice..lol)

Add me if you'd like.

Good luck,
    Dawn
    WOW congrats to you awesome accomplishments keep it up girl!!
  • ashlafer
    ashlafer Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    do you log when you walk your dog? unless it's actually a challenge for you to walk your dog (which is understandable), I wouldn't log it...that is, unless you walked your dog for two hours.

I used to count walking to and from my college classes as exercise, and then I'd eat through those calories...it was my sneaky way of adding 40-100 calories every day. It was my way of cheating the system to "give" me more calories.

Obviously your dog needs to be walked! :D But, unless it's getting your heart rate up (which, after 3 months, I doubt), I wouldn't count it as exercise in MFP.

I think the problem may be that you're not challenging yourself in terms of exercise (strength and cardio training). I usually do well in weight maintenance/loss when I have a good mix of both strength and cardio in my week. I don't count things like cooking, walking, standindg(eyeroll), or mowing the lawn, since these are just part of day-to-day life and aren't physically challenging (for me).

Talk to a nutritionist (specifically, somebody who is a registered dietician) about your dietary and exercise needs. MFP is home to many different weight loss journeys, experiments, strategies...you may be better off establishing your basic needs (with a professional) and then going from there. :) Best of luck! :)
  • ananiordonez
    ananiordonez Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It´s so inspiring your story! so keep going!!! :))
  • ananiordonez
    ananiordonez Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone-

DO NOT GIVE UP !!

60-70 ounces of water/ day and I sleep AT LEAST 7 hours (If not - it's not fun to be around me in the morning lol)

I'm going to just stay on track and attribute it to water weight at this point. I'm going to get out the tape measure tonight to see if I see results anywhere else besides the scale. It could also be because I don't have much to lose to begin with- only 20 pounds, so it might be coming off a little slower & steady

time to just relax a bit and have a beer or 2 while watching the packers game tonight. (saved some extra calories for this!) :)

Sometimes when you working out hard, your building muscle and muscle weight more than fat, but It helps you to burn more calories even standing by, so no matter what the numbers are telling you right now all what you´re doing is working in your favor...
  • HolyPeas
    HolyPeas Posts: 71
    Options
    six pounds is quite a dramatic gain if you have really been as strict as you say. I would never accuse anyone of lying, but I wonder if you are missing calories somewhere.

I also wonder... are you weighing on the same scale? Is it old? are you at the top of it's capacity so maybe you are a smidge to heavy to get an accurate reading? (like a 330 pound person weighing on a scale that is designed for NO MORE than 350, that person may not get an accurate reading as a lighter person on the same scale)

Maybe your first weight was deceptively low because you were dehydrated? Maybe you are constipated so the weight is high for that reason..... there are a lot of factors that could effect this.