Parenting advice...

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Where's Bobby Clerici when you need solid parenting advice?

Thanks. Now I wet my own pants.

:drinker:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Where's Bobby Clerici when you need solid parenting advice?

Shhh.... we must never mention He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named!

It brings him back every time!
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    My son did the same thing when he was 5. He didnt want to stop playing even for a minute because he might miss something. I had to bring him to the bathroom to try to go every hour until he decided he could "listen to his body" and go before he had an accident. He is 6 now and still holds it until he just cant stand it anymore and pee dances off to the bathroom.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    My son is the same age. I'd take him to the doctor to rule out anything medical, and start making him just go to the bathroom no matter what every 1.5-2 hours, just like they do at school. If that didn't get his attention, I'd get some pull ups, and make him wear them on days that he wets his pants. The threat of that alone would 'probably' stop it for mine.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    My son is the same age. I'd take him to the doctor to rule out anything medical, and start making him just go to the bathroom no matter what every 1.5-2 hours, just like they do at school. If that didn't get his attention, I'd get some pull ups, and make him wear them on days that he wets his pants. The threat of that alone would 'probably' stop it for mine.

Ooooh! I would have a damn hard time not blatantly laughing as he put them on *LOL*
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Ooooh! I would have a damn hard time not blatantly laughing as he put them on *LOL*

Yup! He very much likes being a big boy so he would hate it. My youngest wouldn't care though, so I'll have to figure out something different for when he hits this 'phase'
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Does he wet himself while he's at school? He CAN control his bladder, so it's a matter of will for boys (as others mention, it's because they're busy and don't want to go). I'd probably go with incentives like, "If you don't have an accident for a week, you can buy XYZ". My boys all respond well to incentives!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Does he wet himself while he's at school? He CAN control his bladder, so it's a matter of will for boys (as others mention, it's because they're busy and don't want to go). I'd probably go with incentives like, "If you don't have an accident for a week, you can buy XYZ". My boys all respond well to incentives!

It's summer and he goes to camp, but that I know of he hasn't? 50/50 custody, so I will check with my ex to make sure, though. If I mention the word "Ninjago" the problem will likely be immediately magically solved!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    If I mention the word "Ninjago" the problem will likely be immediately magically solved!
    Yup. You'll learn all kinds of ways to make things magically stop happening! Always stay one step ahead of the kids!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I've had to babysit kids like that and the parents always say to tell them that it's time to go to the bathroom and that they need to try.
  • smith6ar
    Options
    Have you tried yelling at him? If yes, are you yelling loud enough?
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I might get flamed here. But I would make my kids stop what they were doing and go to the bathroom at least once every couple of hours. Even if they didn't have to go.

This....my last partners son started doing this when he was 10. All of the sudden out of the blue he was peeing and pooping his pants for no reason. We had him checked out and it simply came down to him wanting to play more than taking a break from activities to do his business. So we started making it mandatory that all kids go to the bathroom when we asked if they needed to pee.

after a while he got the hint.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My son is 8 years old and I still tell him when to stop what he's doing and go to the bathroom. He may argue with me but always ends up going... then asking me how I know when he needs to go.
  • laura4smith
    laura4smith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1. Visit to the doctor.
    2. Don't ask him if he needs to go to the bathroom. TELL him it's time to go to the bathroom. And then make him go.

I have three boys, ages 16, 13 and 5. They all get distracted with video games, etc. But I had one in pre-k that would prefer to sit in his own *kitten* then get up and use the restroom. He also wet his bed until a couple of years after kinder. He is now 16 and outgrew it all. :-) My 5 year old won't move away from video games enough to visit the restroom; we have had a handful of accidents.

I did exactly what the quote above suggested. With my first boy, I visited the doctor. Then got in a routine of making him visit the restroom, at times, kicking and screaming. :-)

Good luck.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    2. Don't ask him if he needs to go to the bathroom. TELL him it's time to go to the bathroom. And then make him go.

I agree with the above. Tell him it's time to go and make him sit/stand there for 5 minutes.

It could be the major change. I wouldn't take him to the dr. yet though unless there are other behaviors that are flagging your spidey sense or unless the above doesn't work.
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    1. Visit to the doctor.

exactly what she said
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    BOBBY CLERICI'S ACCOUNT HAS BEEN DEACTIVATED. THANK GOD.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    1. Visit to the doctor.

1. We did. It's definitely not his kidney/bladder.
    2. Agreed. Sadly I wasn't there, but he has never ever had to be told to go before, so this is all kind of catching me off guard... as to why he's suddenly having accidents when he hasn't in years. I don't want to make it a bigger deal than I should and have a "conversation" if it isn't warranted and just a normal kid thing. But on the other hand, I don't want to miss a problem?

This is probably bothering me more than him *LOL*

It isn't so much that he doesn't know that he needs to go. It's just that he thinks he can handle it, and then all the sudden, the urge becomes overwhelming. He hasn't learned his body's limitations yet.

hrmmm.... didn't think of it like that.

Yes to all of this!

Boys are notorious for NOT wanting to stop what they are doing and go potty. AT that age you should be able to tell him every 2 hours, hey GO POTTY!! Make sure he goes and you should be good.

Boys just gotta play and they don't think about going potty until it is soo very too late and by then, they just can't hold it long enough. And if they do make it to the potty, standing there trying to get their pants down doing the "potty dance" well, they just go!!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    BOBBY CLERICI'S ACCOUNT HAS BEEN DEACTIVATED. THANK GOD.

LOL HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sp?) I enjoy reading posts about kids because I have none so I'll have some knowledge when I do but this made my day LOl!
  • ItsDawnMarie
    ItsDawnMarie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would go with the stop everything and try thing too.