Any suggestions for afternoon sugar craving?

Options
Hi Everyone!
So I am at day 3 and am identifying some of my pitfalls. My lunch is around 415 calories and I eat a late dinner. Around 3:00, I am CRAVING sugar and not the healthy snack (banana, fiberone bar, etc) I brought with me. What snacks to you eat to kick the sugar craving?

Thanks,
kathy

Replies

• DTFaaron
    Options
    Try a nice ripe fiji apple. They are super sweet and juicy. That might work. Or you can try jello with low fat whipped topping. You gotta put the topping on though lol
  • weddedbliss
    weddedbliss Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Orbit peppermint gum and water 5 calories.. =~)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's in the area, they have 1 calorie dark chocolate bites. They are an explosion of chocolate that takes you by surprise and you can eat only one.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Strawberries or grapes...sweet, low cal, no fat.
  • ljbeebs
    Options
    I find a hot cup of tea with stevia extract works to curb those sweet cravings.

Also, I've been reading up a bit on hormone response, and it's telling me that a meal that is too high in carbs vs protein can cause food cravings. I've only been experimenting for a couple of days now, but so far it seems to be true for me. Try upping your protein while simultaniously lowering your carbs just slightly.
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Those chocolate bites from Trader Joe's sound good! Is that true, 1 calorie? I'll have to look for them.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I just ate this:
    1/2 cup canned pumpkin
    tsp maple syrup
    TBS brown sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon

heat for 1-1 1/2 minutes
    sprinkle with a few raisins and a tiny bit of granola

Yummy! (If you have brown sugar made w/splenda and sugarfree syrup...all the better) It is pretty lo-cal and high in fiber and nutrition. Plus, it seems when I eat a heated snack I feel more full.

Other idea:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    What about cereal with banana? It helps me out in the evenings. You could also try a caramel rice cake with a bit of natural peanut butter and half of a banana- it's actually quite decadent, and about 200 calories.
  • stephhaynes
    Options
    try protein, any kind of protein drink, bars or snacks works great when you get that hunger that you just need something, along with water.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    how about a 60 calorie jello pudding cup.

I also look those 100 calories snacks. I love these :tongue:
  • mia66
    mia66 Posts: 425
    Options
    sounds interesting, I might give this a try. Thanks.
    Mia
    EAT LESS MOVE MORE:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • kkat631
    kkat631 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great suggestions! You guys always come through. I will check out the chocolates that 1 calorie....any other nutrition facts on them? Also, I NEVER thought to put a banana on my pb rice cakes! Good Call!Thanks everyone!
  • rivera7778
    Options
    Stick with fruit. You get your sweet and some fiber to boot.
  • angelnik03
    Options
    Not everything is great, but it all works to get me through my sugar cravings:

-4 Nilla Wafers (70 cal & super sweet!)

-Kiwi

-Super sweet gum (i looooove 5!) and water

- Yellow apple

Good luck!
  • 100lblady
    Options
    Dr. Oz had Black Bean Brownies on his show on Monday (I think). I made them today with a couple of alterations (egg beaters, different syrup and walnut pieces) and they were a healthier way to satisfy my chocolate sweet tooth for under 100 calories per serving. I did not use the icing, I just sprinkled a little powdered sugar on them. My kids weren't impressed, but my hubby and I thought it was an acceptable alternative. Either way, good luck!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I bought sugar free oreos today and surprisingly they are 100 calories for every 2 cookies.
    I think that's a halfway decent sugar crave snack.
  • Brianj1963
    Options
    Green tea is the best way I found to eliminate that urge.