Favorite Veggie Recipes

Options
What are your favorite vegetable recipes that you and your family enjoy? Right now, mine is halved, roasted acorn squash, stuffed with a mixture of sauteed vegetables and lean ground beef or tempeh, seasoned with cumin, chili, and garlic. Or for a simple dinner I like to halve the amount of potatoes I'd use in the mash and replace them with turnips. One of my resolutions for 2010 is to learn to cook at least one new vegetable every month. This month, it's brussels sprouts. Next month, it's parsnips. I don't have the whole year out so I'll try anything that sounds interesting!

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I like to mix cut up broccili, all colored peppers, zuchinni, and carrots, then coat them in pam cooking spray, then mix in garlic powder and pepper... spread out on a cookie sheet that has foil on it and bake at 425 for about 20 minutes! ... I should add squash, thanks!

~Leash :heart:
  • lahard0
    lahard0 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe but please be advised, may involve excess sodium:

I make mashed cauliflower. It tastes very similar to mashed potatoes but is obviously still cauliflower. There are many ways to make this but here is my fav:

Boil a head or two of cauliflower in chicken broth (use enough to cover it) until the cauliflower is soft enought to mash. Drain the chicken broth- mash up, season if desired, and eat. Some of the variations of this recipe will call for you to steam the cauliflower but later you may add milk or butter. Making it this way, the chicken broth gives it all the flavor it needs so at most a dash of garlic or pepper should be all you need. I love it and it's been a great hit with friends!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe but please be advised, may involve excess sodium:

I make mashed cauliflower. It tastes very similar to mashed potatoes but is obviously still cauliflower. There are many ways to make this but here is my fav:

Boil a head or two of cauliflower in chicken broth (use enough to cover it) until the cauliflower is soft enought to mash. Drain the chicken broth- mash up, season if desired, and eat. Some of the variations of this recipe will call for you to steam the cauliflower but later you may add milk or butter. Making it this way, the chicken broth gives it all the flavor it needs so at most a dash of garlic or pepper should be all you need. I love it and it's been a great hit with friends!

This actually sounds really yummy...I love cauliflower...might sprinkle it with a little paprika for color and flavor
  • Mandillynn
    Options
    I love cauliflower!! I'm going to try it mashed! Thanks lahard0!!
  • raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I really LOVE brussels sprouts, halved and roasted till they are slightly browned on the sides. You can spray them with Olive Oil Pam and put them in the oven for 40 min or until you are happy with them.

I personally think they are amazing tasting totally naked, but they'd probably also be great with salt/pepper, lemon pepper seasoning, etc.

I find that brussels are really filling and low cal- this is totally the way to make these- its so simple and it comes out so tasty!!
  • snowangel1975
    Options
    I've never thought about mashing cauliflower....I'm going to give it a try
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Thanks, lahard0, I love cauliflower!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    mmmm....brussel sprouts.....these are my new favorite:

brussel sprouts
    olive oil (1-2 tsps)
    sliced/slivered almonds
    minced garlic
    red pepper flakes

Quarter or halve (depending on the size) brussel sprouts
    Combine brussel sprouts with rest of ingredients, roast brussel sprouts at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until your likeing, stiring them up once or twice. They get nutty and crispy and DELICIOUS!!!!
  • lahard0
    lahard0 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I forgot about that...yes, you can dash some paprika for color on the top...also, a great way to add more flavor and still keep cals low is to add some parmasean cheese (just a bit) while you are masing. Yummy!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I make a black bean and veggie dish. It's not very pretty, but it's delish.

Chop 1 onion (I like big chunks, but you can dice how you want)
    Chop 1 red pepper
    Chop 1 green pepper
    Add 4 oz sliced mushrooms

I cook these in a pan sprayed with Pam until tender.

Add half a bag of spinach and cook til wilted.
    Cut a tomato (or 2-- I love them) into largish chunks-about 1 inch and throw them in the pan as well.

Dump in a large can of rinsed and drained black beans and mix everything together. I use chili powder to season as it's heating.

It makes 3 to 4 servings. I dish it into bowls, sprinkle cheddar cheese on it, and cut 1/4 of an avocado on each bowl as garnish. Yummity

By the way, this can be adjusted with whatever veggies you have on hand or what you like. I've also thrown in leftover corn that I found in my fridge. Be creative!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I really LOVE brussels sprouts.

I've never had a brussle sprout. :noway: I want to try one but I've never had the oppurtunity. :ohwell:
  • nisijam5
    Options
    mmmm....brussel sprouts.....these are my new favorite:

brussel sprouts
    olive oil (1-2 tsps)
    sliced/slivered almonds
    minced garlic
    red pepper flakes

Quarter or halve (depending on the size) brussel sprouts
    Combine brussel sprouts with rest of ingredients, roast brussel sprouts at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until your likeing, stiring them up once or twice. They get nutty and crispy and DELICIOUS!!!!

Sara, this sounds good too!!! 2 new things for me to try!!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    My first recipe I tried was really simple, from 101 Cookbooks. Basically, halved brussels sprouts tossed with olive oil and browned in a pan, then sprinkled with parmesan cheese. YUM. Kind of heavy, but my mom really hates them so I had to make them appealing.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Someone from work brought a fresh veggie pizza...it was pretty good

Basic pizza crust (you could use toasted pita bread, flat bread
    Ranch dressing
    Large variety of chopped veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, tomato, cucumber, etc.)

It would be good for a party
  • Solandra
    Options
    I'm going to try the Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe tonight!