Replies

• deanotoot
    deanotoot Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I prefer walking but thats just my opinion:smile:
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Our family alternates between the two. I like them both!
  • pearlsbythesea
    pearlsbythesea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My vote is for biking. Since my knee is bad I do a mix of power walking and mild biking around the block. I'm pretty tame when it comes to exercise, but I burn way more calories when I work out on my bike vs. walking. The only downside is riding a bike on the street and listening to music is dangerous (and in Rhode Island, it's illegal.) For that reason, I prefer a walk/jog so I can use music to motivate me. Obviously this isn't an issue on a stationary bike, but stationary bikes can be boring, too. Variety is the spice of life. Do both!
  • rmn1972
    rmn1972 Posts: 20
    Options
    Because I have bad knees (4 surgeries on the right, one on the left!), I am sticking to bike riding until I get more weight off.
  • kellibenage
    Options
    I just recently started biking and although it was hard to get started, I am really enjoying it. Plus according to my bodymedia I burn a lot more calories biking!
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    For me bike riding! Love it! Love it!:happy:
  • emmamiso5
    Options
    Either; just make sure you sweat.
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Biking.

But I'm biased. :happy:
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Either; just make sure you sweat.

^this :)
  • flajocar
    flajocar Posts: 37
    Options
    I prefer biking. at a slow steady pace riding your fat burn will be far greater than the same amount of walking. On a typical 30 minute ride i will avg 400 calories. compared to maybe 150 walking for 30 minutes. i ride and hour every day and avg 1000 calories!
  • ticho9
    ticho9 Posts: 25
    Options
    So the question is about which is better; and the indirect question is which do I enjoy more... I believe all exercise has its benefits when done well, safely and continuously. I'll say that you burn more calories, and get a higher general workout with biking, but according to research, about 25 min of sustained exercise (say walking at a minimum of 60-70% of your heart rate) will burn as many calories as biking for 45, 60 or more minutes at a lower heart rate...

In my case, where I live is not very suitable to biking... lack of paths, lots of traffic, uneven roads, etc... So, walking around the neighborhood is better for me and more enjoyable...
  • ticho9
    Options
    Exactly!
  • ticho9
    Options
    I prefer biking. at a slow steady pace riding your fat burn will be far greater than the same amount of walking. On a typical 30 minute ride i will avg 400 calories. compared to maybe 150 walking for 30 minutes. i ride and hour every day and avg 1000 calories!

Exactly!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I definitely get a better, more intense workout if I ride by bike, but I walk a lot too. I carry a 5lb dumbbell in each hand to make it a little more intense.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Walking, even very fast, doesn't get my HR up high enough for me to feel like I'm accomplishing anything (over 120). On my bike I can easily burn 10 calories per minute.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I prefer walking. We have a beautiful trail here that I just love. But I can burn twice as many calories on my stationary bike. If I had a lot of extra time I would walk in the mornings and bike in the evenings, but that never happens!
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I walk only to get somewhere, I prefer riding my bike for exercise.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    For transportation, I prefer walking because I get less sweaty and I want to look nice when I get to work. At the gym, I prefer the stationary bikes because I love anything that involves sitting down. Also, I burn a lot more calories on the bike. While sitting down.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I usually run for exercise, but you all are making me want to get my bike out...
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    We have so many bike paths around here, including one 2 blocks from my house. So it's bicycle for me.