Help my coffee addiction!

Options
I have noticed over the last 30 days or so when I have logged i tend to drink a lot of my calories through my coffee. I use about 3 TBSP creamer and that is it, but that makes each cup roughly 100 cal or so. I want to still be able to drink coffee however, I need other alternatives as black coffee does NOT work for me, and the only "fat free" creamer is french vanilla, which I don't like. Help!

Replies

• spaz4me2
    spaz4me2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have found it not worth the battle...I love my whole cup of coffee with 4 tbsp of half & half, 2 times a day ;-D
  • imafatloser
    Options
    Good coffee is a treat to me, it's the one thing I don't want to give up completely. I find by using use low fat milk and liquid stevia drops I can sweeten my coffee up a bit and enjoy it just as much as I always have.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I drink it black now, and I switched to Lite Coffee which has half the caffeine. That's about as far as I'm willing to compromise.
  • smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you go folger or maxwell house regular roast and only 1 table spoon of coffee per 2 cups you will find it is the only way to drink it black most people make it to stronge or a strong roast. And that is why many need the creamers and sugars. :drinker:
  • lizzie1030
    Options
    I actually learned to drink my coffee black. I have a Keurig and I drink the flavored coffees. I also put almond milk in my iced coffee. I love coffee and coffee drinks - a good iced mocha is usually my special treat. But, for the most part, I can drink my coffee black. It's amazing that I was able to get used to it, and now I prefer my hot coffee black.

For the creamer, don't use fat free (it's too watery) use a lower sugar or sugar free or try vanilla almond milk - no sugar with a little fat for creaminess.
  • Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I use 1% milk, splenda and cinnamon. The only calories is in however much milk you use.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Don't get the fat free creamers, they are full of sugar! Stick to the real thing or consider switching to milk instead. I use 2% and sometimes add in a little cinnamon for extra flavor.
  • JPenny12
    JPenny12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would suggest gradually weaning yourself from creamer down to milk. If you use half and half now. Start by using 1 1/2 tablespoons creamer and 1 1/2 tablespoons milk. Then continually increase the milk until you change to all milk. If you like flavoured creamer then switch to flavoured coffee and do the same thing with the milk/cream.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    coffee with coconut milk, cinnamon & nutmeg... tasty :) I bet almond would be good also, like one person suggested here.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I want to still be able to drink coffee however, I need other alternatives as black coffee does NOT work for me, and the only "fat free" creamer is french vanilla, which I don't like. Help!
    If you don't like fat free creamers, and can't drink coffee without creamers, your choice is simple.

1. Waste good food calories on coffee with creamer.
    2. Stop drinking coffee.

Your call.

It was a road to Damascus moment for me when I finally realised that I can't have what I want and still be healthy.

What I did when I was needing to lose weight was to just suck it up and stop consuming crap that was bad for me. These days I drink unsweetened tea.

Perhaps you'll come to a different conclusion about where your priorities lie. Your body. Your decision.

Make the decision, own it.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yes, there aren't a lot of choices there. I used to drink my coffee with creamer, until I started watching the fat in my diet. I was getting more fat from coffee creamer than anything else, so I stopped using it. It really only took me a couple days to get used to drinking it black again.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I am trying to cut back, a little at a time, on how much creamer i use in my coffee. I can not drink it black. If it doesn't taste good i don't waste my calories. I have found that i do like the chi latte too. Hey it's a great thing that you are trying to find a solution so you can keep enjoying your coffee.
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just reduce the amount to creamer you use. Also, try flavored creamer...not fat free or sugar free...I like International Delights Hazelnut creamer. It's sweet enough (to me) that I can just use a tbsp and a half....no sugar or sugar substitute and my coffee tastes delicious and is only 58 calories.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    I shop where I can grind the coffee beans fresh. I prefer flavored Cinnamon Hazelnut, 1/3 cup of 1% milk or original Silk Almond Milk and 1 tsp. sugar is a perfect taste to me. The little extra milk I find more filling than creamer and it's a lot fewer calories. Almond Milk is like 20 cals, and regular is already sweet. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Also a French Press brings out more coffee flavor and the better the flavor the less I crave other foods.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    there are different flavors of sugar free creamer. I like caramel macchiato
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    black coffee is only 2 calories but try a flavored...otherwise tell yourself that's all u get if u want coffee is black. the craving will pass.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I use Fat Free Half & Half and Stevia liquid. The Fat Free Half & Half is not as watery as milk and makes it fairly creamy.
  • osteral
    osteral Posts: 41
    Options
    Changing from liquid to powdered creamer will save you calories (not sure about the sugar ratio). I slowly weaned myself down to just a spoonful of powdered creamer in my coffee as long as it is the coffee I make at home. I think it helped to make the change very gradually so that I adjusted to the taste over time and not all at once.
  • StephJB1221
    Options
    I'm a huge coffee addict!! I switched to shakeology instead and if I really crave the taste I eat my mocha chip frozen yogurt mmmmmm
  • mekutataki
    Options
    Everyone has decent solutions. I do use flavored creamer now, and I guess i will actually start measuring and try to wean myself to an actual serving (only 35 cal/tbsp). Because I use it as my sweetener and creamer, it will be difficult, but I am sure it's doable. It'll just take me some time, thanks everyone!