30 Day Shred

Options
So i'm ordering this DVD today. Anyone have recommendations or have done it? How do you know which level to start on? How do you know when to move to the next level? Do you do this 30 days in a row? Sorry for all the questions but I want to be prepared :)

Replies

• jniece55
    jniece55 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    One more question :) What is the difference between 30 day shred and 30 day ripped? Should you do 30 day shred and then move on to 30 day ripped??
  • jniece55
    Options
    bump
  • ashleew1117
    Options
    You start at Level one, trust me this is going to kick your *kitten*.
    You move to level two after you feel that level one is becoming to easy for you, but most do ten days of each level.
    & you need to have hand weights, i use at least 5 lbs.

I haven't done the other one, and i've only been doing this one for 4 days, today.
    Goodluck if you have any further questions feel free, and you can add me if you like (:
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes, You do each level for 10 days each..
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    30 Day Shred is designed for you to spend 10 days (2 weeks) at each level. You definitely want to start with the first level and work your way up. Ripped in 30 is pretty similar to 30 Day Shred. I don't think that it would make any difference which one you do first. They are both great work outs. Have fun!!
  • webdaughter
    webdaughter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would for sure start with level 1 for a few days at least. You may be able to do it eaisly but may find that you are more sore then you thought you would be! JM works you!!! It is actually designed to do every other day so just ease into it. It is obviously ment to do 10 days on each level but if you find a level to be less than challenging bump up after 5-7 days. Good luck!!!
  • _KatieKat
    _KatieKat Posts: 224
    Options
    I did this...day one yesterday and yes its tough!!!! I got thru half of it and was laying on the floor , hahahha start with level one for sure!!! I am so sore I have to take a rest day before I do it again. Im a runner and work out in the gym and it still kicked my butt!!!!!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I am doing Ripped in 30 now and did 30 Day Shred last month, I would definitely Shred first. You do not do it every day - I did it for 6 days and rested on the 7th. I did level one 7/1-10, level 2 7/11-20, and level 3 7/21-7/30. The handweights I used varied - 2lbs on the hard ones to start with, 3lbs for moderate ones - by the end I was able to do them all with 5lbs.
  • RavenNevermore15
    RavenNevermore15 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I really like 30 Day Shred. It was a great introduction to strength training/cardio workout for me. Like the other comments said, each level for ten days. I started with Level One and thought my butt got kicked the first day...but it DID get easier! Level Three is still rough and I've done a few rounds of P90X and am now on Chalean Extreme.

Take measurements and check in with yourself every 10 days. You'll be pretty happy with the numbers, I know I was!! Good luck girl!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have both 30DS and Ripped in 30. I see that many people do 30DS 30 days straight. I do NOT recommend that with ANY excercise program. FIRST, your body NEEDS rest. Assuming you are in "weight loss" mode, I would say exercise a 5-6 days a week... depends on what your body is telling you. Listen to it. :) You might want to rest on Wed and Sun for example. You can do something "light" on those days, if you'd like.. a walk or yoga... just don't punish your body. SECOND you are more prone to "repetitive" or "overuse" type injuries (shin splints for example) if you do the same workout day after day. Again, you are your own best judge of your body.

You always start with Level 1 and work your way up. For 30DS, generally the idea is to do Level 1 for 10 days (not necessarily 10 days without a break), then move to Level 2 for 10x, then Level 3 for 10x. If you move up a level and you just can't hang, then move back down a level until you're ready. Yes, it's called 30DS, but you should do it to the schedule that is right for your fitness level and progress.

After I had completed it once, I "played" with it for fun. For example, I did Level 3 on Mondays, Level 2 on Wednesday, and Level 1 on Friday. I worked in other routines another two days of the week.

As for 30DS vs Ripped in 30, Ripped in 30 has 4 Levels. You do 1 level for a week at a time, so basically it's 4 weeks. In this DVD she does specifically note to NOT work out 7 days/wk. :) I think maybe people didn't "get that" in the 30DS spiel. Level 1 of Ripped in 30 is probably between Level 1 and 2 of 30DS in difficulty... maybe closer to Level 2. So, by the time you get to Level 4, it will kick you a** even if you've done 30DS!

Hope that helps! Best of luck with it!!
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm working on the 30DS.

It's 3 different levels & you're supposed to do each level for 10 days. Whether or not you complete the program in 30 consecutive days is completely up to you. Personally, I do a "2 days on, 1 day off" schedule because my body needs that rest day to recover after working it so hard!

Start with Level One. Do it for the recommended 10 days & see how you feel after that. If you can do all the exercises (either modified or unmodified) without stopping, I'd say you're probably ready to move on to the next level. :)
  • jniece55
    Options
    Oh I def. will be starting on level 1 then lol thanks for the advice!! So it seems some did it every day for 30 days and some didn't. What does it say to do? Every day or no?
  • jniece55
    Options
    Thank you! We must have been posting at same time. That makes sense on the days.
  • darlilama
    Options
    In the 30DS DVD Jillian doesn't really specify, so I think that's what messed some people up. She just says do a level until you're ready to move on. And the intro is FOREVER long and you CAN"T skip it! After you'ved listened to it once, just pop the DVD in and then gather up your stuff until it gets to the point where you select the Level to do. :)

I would suggest to work in at least two rest days to start and do what your body tells you.
  • darlilama
    Options
    LOL Still typing all at the same time!

BTW ... like the other poster, I've done P90X and am now doing ChaLean Extreme. I tend to prefer them because the routines vary more day-to-day, but I would not necessarily say they are much more difficult. :) They will all kick your a** for sure!
  • jniece55
    Options
    Too Funny! I am ordering them online and am 8 dollars away from free shipping, anyone have recommendations on what to add? DVDs or workout stuff? It's on amazon so it's pretty broad
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I bought 6 Week 6 pack too, another Jillian one. Haven't done it yet though, still working on RI30 and the couch to 5k :)
  • jniece55
    Options
    What if I mixed up 30 day shred and 30 day ripped (with rest days) but did them both intermittently?
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Too Funny! I am ordering them online and am 8 dollars away from free shipping, anyone have recommendations on what to add? DVDs or workout stuff? It's on amazon so it's pretty broad

I went from 30 DS to No More Trouble Zones, I like that one all though it isn't broken down into levels of intensity, but you do get a great burn from it.
  • Ashers83
    Ashers83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love it!! I'm on level 2 day 4. You should start on level 1 and you will need hand weights and a yoga mat (especially if you have hard wood or tile floors). Most people spend 10 days on each level and there are 3 levels so that totals 30 days. Some people do it 30 days in a row, some people take weekends off, it all depends on how you want to do it. Some people only use the workout as a supplement to some other kind of training so it takes them much longer than 30 days. JM also says on the DVD that if at 10 days you aren't ready to go to the next level, you don't have to.

Do what works best for you. I have done it every day exept for 5 days when I was away for a bachelorette wknd :)

Good luck and stick with it!!!