Questions about protein shakes.

1.) Should i drink them? -I'v been doing insanity on a daily basis, or gym (elliptical and weights)

2.) Is Whey better than Soy?

3.) Has anyone used BodyXFortress Super advanced whey protein? -I bought it to day but haven't used it yet...

4.) When should you drink them? Before work outs...After...?

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    1) If you feel you need more protein in your diet, sure! I drink them because I'm vegetarian so it's hard for me to get as much protein as I want. If you're trying to build muscle you should go for 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass per day. If you're having trouble reaching that, they're great!

2) Not really sure on this one. I use whey and I've heard some negative things about soy, but I don't want to give you misinformation.

3) Body Fortress Super Advanced is what I use. I love the chocolate peanut butter blended with some almond milk and maybe a little peanut butter or banana. Or the vanilla blended with almond milk and some cocoa powder... or fruit! Very versatile :) Don't try it with just water though. Yuck!

4) If you're serious about building muscle, the best time to drink them is immediately after your workout. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    1) If you feel you need more protein in your diet, sure! I drink them because I'm vegetarian so it's hard for me to get as much protein as I want. If you're trying to build muscle you should go for 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass per day. If you're having trouble reaching that, they're great!

2) Not really sure on this one. I use whey and I've heard some negative things about soy, but I don't want to give you misinformation.

3) Body Fortress Super Advanced is what I use. I love the chocolate peanut butter blended with some almond milk and maybe a little peanut butter or banana. Or the vanilla blended with almond milk and some cocoa powder... or fruit! Very versatile :) Don't try it with just water though. Yuck!

4) If you're serious about building muscle, the best time to drink them is immediately after your workout. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

very informative!!
  • Kal_n_130
    Kal_n_130 Posts: 119 Member
    Thanks:) i think i get a good amount of protein in my diet, because im shooting for low carb, but i hear a lot of people really pushing the protein shakes for faster recovery and stuff. My boyfriend use to be into lifting a lot, and tells me i dont need it because if im not "hard core" working out it will just turn to fat... I have a lot of flubber to lose so idk if i should wait to try building muscle or if it will all just come off and turn to muscle.
  • fanipack
    fanipack Posts: 28
    Protein shakes is not a weight loss miracle drug. It's simply a Macro Nutrient in a shake form.

1. If you're not hitting your protein macros then you can most definitely drink protein shakes to fulfill your protein needs.

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_Digestibility_Corrected_Amino_Acid_Score ... Take that with a grain of salt.

3. Have never really used this product , read the nutrition facts to see if it fits your macros. I've found that a lot of protein powders are loaded with excess sugar and fats. So make sure it fits your macros !

4. There's studies that show that protein shakes shortly after a workout show slight/minimal effects towards muscle growth. I personally drink them as a treat after an intense workout.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Any easy way to get more protein. Experts will say intake more protein at a certain time before and after a workout. I typically have one at breakfast and one after supper just because that's when it's convenient for me. Protein is essential for building muscle. I didn't know this until recently and I have added more muscle and faster than I ever have before and protein shakes are alot easier than choking down cans of tuna. I use unsweetened almond milk, fresh fruit and ice in a blender and I love my shakes. I use my leftover morning coffee to make ice cubes sometimes for my shake, less the fruit, and add unsweetened cocoa. PB2 peanut butter powder is another good ingredient with bananas for a butter finger taste.

I am a protein smoothie junkie!!
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    I am a vegetarian as well and I rely on protein shakes alot.. I drink them at any time of the day but I have at least one a day.. my fav is EAS carb control..
  • Kal_n_130
    Kal_n_130 Posts: 119 Member
    I like the EAS ones too shawna- especially the carb content!
  • I drink the Shake This protein shakes that my gym offer usually after my work out. It helps my muscles recover very quickly. Wish I knew the answer to everything else...lol...but I am just sharing what I do. Sometimes I get the high protein ones which can be a meal replacement or I'll get the low calorie with a fat burner. Depends on how many calories I have left by the time I get to the gym.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Extra protein 30-45 mins after heavy lifting can help repair muscle tissue. If allergies are not an issue, whey is better than soy.
  • I take protein shakes between meals because I dont have time and am not willing to bring and eat a ton of food... just an easier way... I take Whey, I've been told its better than soy but I dont have any info on it. As for when to take it... well like I said, you can take it between meals. But if its related to workouts, then you must take it after. You must have protein within 30 mins of finishing your workout for your muscles to repair properly :)
  • hockeymom95
    hockeymom95 Posts: 157 Member
    I just started running (again) and this time I have been drinking a protein shake after running and I am rarely sore the next day, and usually never sore when I am scheduled to run again.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Thanks:) i think i get a good amount of protein in my diet, because im shooting for low carb, but i hear a lot of people really pushing the protein shakes for faster recovery and stuff. My boyfriend use to be into lifting a lot, and tells me i dont need it because if im not "hard core" working out it will just turn to fat... I have a lot of flubber to lose so idk if i should wait to try building muscle or if it will all just come off and turn to muscle.

I don't do heavy lifting or super intense exercise but I used to workout around 6 days a week doing stuff like 30 Day Shred and Insanity and I found that drinking a protein shake after my workout helped me recover a lot faster. I used to stay sore for days after a good workout, but not when I drank my shake.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    I use them on days when I haven't eaten a lot of protein from other sources, but mostly I like them to give more flavor and texture to smoothies. Tastes like a rich treat, but still within my calories. Win-win.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Protein shakes are a good source of protein if you need more. Do you need them? Only if you have trouble reaching whatever your protein goals are. Do they make things easier? Sure, I find them to be a pretty convenient way to reach my fairly protein goals.
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    1.) Should i drink them? -I'v been doing insanity on a daily basis, or gym (elliptical and weights)

2.) Is Whey better than Soy?

3.) Has anyone used BodyXFortress Super advanced whey protein? -I bought it to day but haven't used it yet...

If you lift weights and need help meeting your daily protein goal then yeah!

I use whey.. dymatize elite.. love it

after a workout is a great time.if you do before, make sure that its long enough before (about an hour) some people feel icky if they workout on a full stomach.
    . or if you have a long , busy foodservice shift like i do where youre interacting with customers and cant be talking to them with mouthfuls of food and dont get your lunch till late
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    They're a way to supplement your protein intake if you're not getting enough from whole foods. If you need the supplementation, they'll be beneficial.
    That's the one I've been using for several months. I like the flavor (especially the chocolate peanut butter) and the nutrition profile is good.
    There are a lot of different ideas floating around about this. I had heard (and always believed) that drinking them immediately after a workout was the optimal time, but I recently read a study saying that there's no special "time window" for your protein intake that makes any significant difference. I still drink mine right after a workout, but now mostly just because I'm used to doing it that way.