Single Working Mom-- in need of some ideas and friends!

Options
I am a single mom who has a full-time job also. I have the hardest time trying to find time to exercise. I work the whole day that my kid is at school and when she comes home, I am busy cooking, cleaning, playing etc. It also doesn't help that my job requires me to sit in front of a computer and be on the phone all day or drive for hours on end. (I love my job its just not conducive for weight loss) My office is in my house so I have no commute that I could ride a bike or walk to. And school is too far away for my 5 year old to walk to.

Am I the only one out there that has this issue? Or does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do?

I love walking/jogging but its been too hot for me and the kid to go during the day and I can't go after she's in bed...obviously. I try to do wall sits while I am folding clothes or the rare few minutes I have to watch tv and incorporate exercise in ways like that. But am hoping someone has some more ideas.

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Wake up early
  • AshleysAwesomeness
    Options
    Wake up early

There is no waking up earlier than my 5 yr old. Plus if I woke up any earlier I would get maybe 4 hours asleep... and that makes me extremely grouchy which is not a good mood for a social worker.
  • bharriscar
    bharriscar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Can you change your desk around to where you at least stand up during the day? BTW, cute dog, wired hair dachshund?
  • sting5
    sting5 Posts: 408
    Options
    You could try to exercise in the house...maybe a dvd and your daughter can join you!
  • AshleysAwesomeness
    Options
    Can you change your desk around to where you at least stand up during the day? BTW, cute dog, wired hair dachshund?

Not really, in between phone calls I do get up and stretch or make random trips to other rooms for no reason just to move... but thats more because if I sit too long my knees get stiff.

And yes, she was a foster dog of mine, my mom ended up stealing her from me. Best dog ever
  • juliebean101
    juliebean101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How about finding some exercises that incorporate your daughter. Like leg lifts with her laying on you feet flying. something that blends play and a workout. it will be together time she will remember all her life!
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: When you are playing with your daughter do you run around and bend?? Do you walk around the house while you are working at home?? Get a WII or a XBox and put some dance or exercising on it ..Your daughter would probally love to do it with you.. Make it fun and enjoy the time with your daughter.. You said you can't go for a walk since it's hot and you have to wait till your daughter goes to sleep. By a video for walking..Leslie Sansone Walk at home is a great one has 5 different miles on it.. There are others out there but Leslie is my fav.
    You will do well ..Have a Good evening:love:
    Feel free to add me if you wish.Woud love to be with you on your journey ..
  • jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You could do workout videos..plus your daughter can join you. My sister likes to do sweating to the oldies and her 3 yr old loves to do the video with her (she gets them at the library).

If you work out of your home, can you do a workout video or go for a quick walk on your lunch break?

Walk in the evening when it cools down a bit.

Its all about making exercise a priority and scheduling time for it.
  • theglencoegirl
    theglencoegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    there was a post on here a few weeks ago --it talked about how easy it is to say we don't have "time" for it--instead she suggested we say we don't make it a "priority" it was very helpful for me to "make time" for my exercise
    thinking that perhaps 2- 15min videos --one right after you get your daughter off to school and one after dinner --my 3 and 5year olds love to do the jillian videos with me--and count my crunches or push-ups
    have your daughter ride her bike while you walk

just some ideas!!
  • ChiFortunate1
    ChiFortunate1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can do at home work outs like I do. I'm doing P90X currently and it works like a charm, or maybe Zumba or whatever. You could do it on your lunch hour since you're at home. You can get nice and sweaty and no one is there to care, LOL!! :smile:

21371726.png
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    this is a tricky one but i wud say when its play time for your daughter make it something active. I love to see my aunt and her daughter doing yoga together its cute and call it bonding time :)

or try to get out on the weekend with her and go swimming... thats my 2 cents

and remember losing weight isn't all about exercise, its mostly what u eat
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    this is a tricky one but i wud say when its play time for your daughter make it something active. I love to see my aunt and her daughter doing yoga together its cute and call it bonding time :)

or try to get out on the weekend with her and go swimming... thats my 2 cents

and remember losing weight isn't all about exercise, its mostly what u eat
    ^^^^ This! I don't believe exercise has to be structured "gym" or "DVD" time. Do some super active, super fun stuff with your daughter. Not only will you be getting exercise but so will she and you will be building some amazing memories for her!
  • mocchioni
    mocchioni Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I found this little peddle machine at the local big box store that starts with a W. It will fit under my desk and i can exercise my legs while I sit at my desk. I think it was about $20 or so. Maybe some arm weights that you can lift or carry around with you.

Keep the faith and soon something will wok for you.

Mark
  • greeneyes1014
    Options
    h!
    ur day sounds like mine minus the child... i work full time.. starting school and i have a bad back which prevents me from doing much excersize.. up until 2 months ago all i could do was walk.. when i wasnt in pain.... its hard to lose weight without excersize.. i tried everything.. weight watchers, adkins, reasrching online and to be quite honest none of them worked. i finally decided on finding a nutritionist. not one of those that tries to sell you pills and powders and crap.. but one that went over my eating habits, my foods, my health.. she took everything into consideration.. and made a food menu.. she gave me 3 or 4 differnt choices per meal.. acceptable snacks .. explained where my portions should be.. and i lost my first 16 lbs just off of her menu.. obviously i changed things around as i got to know what worked and as i tracked on here what kept me within my numbers.. now that ive had surgery i can do a bit more especially in therapy.. but it is possible to lose without excersize. maybe try to find yourself a nutritoinist.. i have found some easy inexpensive recipes that i use for breakfast and lunch.. both u and your child could eat ..id be more than happy to share :smile:
    as for excersizes.. later after the sun cools off and you childs homework is done.. take a walk together.. if they fit in a stroller throw them in there and go for it. .. even 20 minutes a few days a week.. helps.. also drink lots of water... inbox me for any recipes or tips.. im more than happy to share Good luck hun
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm also a single parent working full time. I got an elliptical; that helped a lot, since it meant the ability to grab a quick workout at random times -- and it's QUIET, so no waking up the munchkin. Before she wakes up, while she's napping on weekends, after she goes to bed, while she's eating dinner -- these are all workout opportunities. She's used to it enough now that I often hop on there while she's playing.
    She also likes to lift weights with me; she's got a cheapo pair of super-light bright plastic dumbells and likes to copy me. And she's better at yoga than I am. There are ways to work out around the kid, and to work out with the kid. A mix of both is where I feel best.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I am not a mom, but I do work from home in front of a computer all day..... though I do have time to exercise, I still sneak extra activity into my day....

I am on the main level, but go upstairs to use the bathroom every time I have to go (which is a lot since I drink so much water)
    I take the dog out frequently - which requires me to go up and down the basement steps
    I clean house and do laundry during slow times for work and before work.

Little stuff, but it does help.... I also cook a lot, and all that standing and moving around the kitchen burns calories.

Sunday was a rest day..... I cooked several dishes that day but just chilled at home all day.... still burned 2300 calories!
  • jerseyjenus
    jerseyjenus Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I work from home as well and my lunch hour is all about me and working out. I just started Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD which is only 25 mins and then to cool down, I walk or run around the block.

Jillian Michaels DVD is relatively inexpensive.
  • NearAlarm32
    Options
    When it comes to cooking, check out emilybites.com. She has a lot of awesome recipes that are healthy and yummy. Most of them might be kid friendly too.

I also work from home. This is why I started my lifestyle change. After a year and a half of working from home, I gained almost 60 pounds and was not stopping.

Unfortunately, I live in a one bedroom house and my office, kitchen, and bathroom are all within 5 feet of each other. I can roll my desk chair to the kitchen to get a drink!

I started standing while working. If you can, raise your keyboard and monitor. At least it gets you on your feet.
  • StephJB1221
    Options
    DVDs are great I just finished p90x and now going to do insanity... I don't have time for a gym or a babysitter to be out running around so I get my workouts in early morning while they sleep or evening after they get to bed ( earlier is easier bc I'm exhausted by the time my night is done lol)
  • jbyesh
    jbyesh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Im not the pinnacle of success as u can see (im actually seeing a doc to figure out why the weight wont budge despite diet/exercise). I DO know a little something about lack of time for exercise! I work FT outside the home, have 2 kids, & go to college at night. :) I have made 3 important changes. I realized that if i really wanted to work out, the only way to do it is for me to get up an hour earlier. So i work out @ 4:30am. Yes, it sucks, but it was literally the only way to get it done. So i do videos (p90x) I also have begun taking my lunch. I was giving my employer an xtra hour/day! My health is more important & they r required by law to give it to me. The place has yet to collapse while I'm gone. :) So now i also walk 45-55 mins most days. Last, i park furthest from everywhere. For me, when dieting wasnt working, it became a matter of "how bad do u want it?" I want it bad enough to do thget up at 4:30..