How often should I weigh myself and at what time of day

Options
I know some people may find this question quite juvenile, but I am really new to this. How often should I weigh in and what is the best time of day to get a consistent figure?

Replies

• RunningMatt77
    RunningMatt77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Weight in every Two weeks only, some people weight themselves to soon and lose motivation. weight in either on saturday or sunday, I find early morning empty stomach works best for me.
  • tara_seay
    tara_seay Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Monday morning. I like to see the progress every week, and it keeps me on track.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week first thing on a Saturday morning. Honestly, it doesn't matter when you weigh yourself as long as you weigh yourself at the same time (and try to keep it under the same circumstances- so for example I always weigh myself after going to the loo first thing) every time.

I'd be tempted to keep it to just once a week/once every two weeks otherwise you may become a touch obsessed about the numbers! Don't forget to get a tape measure out and measure yourself too: if you do a lot of exercise you'll be surprised how the inches can fall off even if the scales aren't showing dramatic results.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest not more than once a week, every couple of weeks would probably be fine.

First thing in the morning (on the same day; eg every 2nd Monday ) after you've gone to the bathroom.

Assuming that you're also adding a fitness element to your program you should also consider taking measurements periodically. The number on the scale never tells the whole story.
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works best for you. Personally, I weigh myself every morning and keep a spreadsheet with a trendline. I do an official weigh-in once a week and measure myself every other week.
  • jbgf03
    jbgf03 Posts: 6
    Options
    Cheers guys. I think first thing Saturday after a bathroom visit will be a great idea. Monday wouldn't work as i am usually running around like a headless chicken or not awake enough to remember anything.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the person. This is what works best for me.

I weight daily first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom, BUT I only log my weight weekly on Fridays. You will absolutely see fluxuation during the week. I stick to a pretty standard weekly workout and food schedule so Fridays are generally my lightest days. I also found it really helpful to measure weekly and take pictures monthly.

If you'll panic if the number goes up on certain days DO NOT weigh daily. I'd go with every other week in that case.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself before my morning workouts, so 3x per week. I always weigh myself first thing in the morning, naked and after voiding.
  • rementis
    rementis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself every six hours, after a heavy meal and a huge jug of water.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works best for you. Personally, I weigh myself every morning and keep a spreadsheet with a trendline. I do an official weigh-in once a week and measure myself every other week.

Glad to know I'm not the only nerd with the spreadsheet and a trendline. :)
  • vbarrient
    vbarrient Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Brand new to Myfitnesspal. I weigh every 2-3 days. Keep me on track!
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Glad to know I'm not the only nerd with the spreadsheet and a trendline. :)

I stole the idea from another nerd! As long as the line is creeping downward with each new input, I don't worry about individual data points much.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am also a daily weigher, BUT I also realize it is important not to live and die by that number every morning. I am just hard wired to be kind of a stat junkie.

I also find it fascinating to compare my eating and activity records for any given day to a weight gain or loss and see how it affects things. It helps me see the bigger picture and be less neurotic about and unexpected number, lol!
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'd love a good readymade spreadsheet to track my weight!

Oh yah... I weigh every morning upon waking after going to the bathroom. I generally only enter my progress when the scale moves down unless I sustain a gain for at least 3 days, then I will enter the gain. That's happened a couple of times but I am happy overall with my loss so far.
  • rmn1972
    rmn1972 Posts: 20
    Options
    Even though I have only been on MFP a few weeks, I find it more inspiring for me to weigh no more often than once a week. Daily fluctuations drive me nuts but it seems that weekly weighins always show a downward trend