Afternoon Snacks

Options
BLady44
BLady44 Posts: 50 Member
Hi All,

I am doing pretty good planning my meals but for some reason am having trouble finding a satisfying, and filling afternoon snack..

I tend to eat eggs / egg whites for breakfast, 0 % greek yogurt / blueberries for morning snack, salad with protein (tuna / chicken) for lunch.. dinner is the meal that changes consistently.. and I switch that one up.. I seem to do pretty good eating the same foods ..

But I am finding that mid afternoon I am HUNGRY and wanting sweets / a treat/ something..

Any suggestions?

Replies

• LovesAdventure
    LovesAdventure Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Banana with peanut butter and a drizzle of Hershey syrup
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers ice cream sandwich vanilla - 100 calories or
    VitaTop Muffin (several flavors) 100 calories
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I get really hungry in the afternoons around 3-4 at work. I usually have something with natural peanut butter- like a whole wheat tortilla that I put peanut butter on and roll up or celery and peanut butter. Holds me off until dinner!
  • BLady44
    Options
    I know I want a sweet treat, but I also want something that will be filling.. and hold me over until dinner time.. so maybe a sweet treat isn't the best.. maybe I should have more protein..?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist knows I tend to eat fruit as snacks, but she suggested that I swap out my afternoon snack for something protein. One compromise I have come up with is (it is surprisingly good) a half cup of 1% cottage cheese with cinnamon and splenda. Protein and sweet - Voila!
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    The afternoon snack is a challenge for me too. I'm usually pretty hungry by then. I try to make sure that I have some protein with my carbs. Apple and peanut butter, Special K crackers and Laughing Cow cheese, whole wheat pita chips and humus, pretzels and peanuts (weighed and/or measured), carrot sticks w/no fat ranch dip and 10 almonds--you get the idea. For me, this is not a good time to have a sweet snack--it doesn't keep me satisfied for very long, and then I want more of it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My current go-to snack is a cantaloupe. Other frequent snacks are carrots, bananas, oh, and Green & Black's 85% chocolate.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I get hungry, too, unless I have a very high protein lunch that can sustain me until dinner. I'd say it depends how many calories you can budget to your snack. I find fruit makes me feel hungrier for some reason. Adding protein and fat will help, but the calories can really add up, so be careful.

I've done:
    -apple and tablespoon peanut butter
    -crudite (raw broccoli, carrots, celery, cauliflower, etc.)
    -cucumber and bell pepper with a little hummus

Also, if you just want something sweet, try brushing your teeth after lunch and/or drinking some mint tea. I find that can help with the craving.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    watermelon! very filling and sweet! I think I ate 3 cups of it yesterday. :/

apples are also surprisingly filling.

I do love the cottage cheese idea already posted too. add some mandarin oranges!

or just some dark chocolate with strawberries.

snacks are endless. I live for snacks!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I find that half a baked sweet potato makes a good snack, or other veggies (yesterday I had microwaved purple carrots and they were delicious). Or a cheese and vegemite sandwich, cheese and crackers, apple, yoghurt, boiled egg, slice of cheese (bit of a cheese theme here isn't there?). Or some salted nuts - they are pretty high in cals but the fat makes them filling and the salt makes them feel like a treat. Or, what about soup (preferably home made) or a homemade savoury muffin (I make them with grated zucchini/ grated carrot, rolled oat and grated parmesan etc).
  • BLady44
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas.. I will definatley try some of them. :)
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    If you want something sweet AND filling, you should perhaps just combine two types. Something sweet and something filling.

For sweetness you could go for sweet fruit, like a banana, grapes, a fig, a nectarine etc.
    To fill up you could eat something with protein, like a babybell or a piece of other cheese, , a slice of turkey, a little bit of yoghurt, some nuts or something.
    You could also have some fruit with a small piece of dark chocolate.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    My new favorite snack is Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder. Just make sure you stir really, really well. It's incredibly high in protein and it tastes so good! Some people say it tastes like cheesecake in a bowl, but I use cinnamon roll flavored protein powder and it makes it taste like cinnamon roll frosting or cream cheese frosting. It's delicious.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    For afternoon snacks I usually have cottage cheese with pepper, veggies with ranch dip, laughing cow cheese with a few wheat thins, a peach, or some yogurt.
  • flasunshine46
    flasunshine46 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana. Tastes like Ice cream. About 100 calories. Or
    Sweet delights ice cream bar: ONLY 14 CALORIES, DELICIOUS!!
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you want something full with protein, but still sweet you can use Cottage Cheese as a basis! You can mix it with some sweet sugarfree liquid if you want to, like juice, or you can add some fruit pieces and nuts :) Healthy, and filling!