Is it normal??

Options
So everytime I workout on the elliptical my feet start to tingle and go numb about 15min in....is this normal? It freaks me out

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Did a trainer show you exactly how to use it? I'd be worried about a back problem.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Could be a sciatic nerve being pinched. Maybe you should see a doctor. I have sciatic nerve issues from time to time and see a chiropractor to get adjustments.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with numbness and I realized I was wearing terrible shoes.
  • kaedaza
    kaedaza Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    no iv never had anyone show me but it seems pretty simple, yea I'll def. go ask a doctor about it. thanks =]
  • kaedaza
    Options
    my shoes are cheapos from wal-mart...so that could be it!
  • Catie_v2
    Catie_v2 Posts: 67
    Options
    I have made this observation myself - and talked to my trainer who said it is very common. And a lot of it has to do with the tendency for people to put most of their weight on their toes and none on their heels (think of how you use your foot when walking up stairs). The only recommendation I have received is trying to use your entire foot when on the machine and every few steps wiggle your foot around to get the blood flowing again....I have found it frustrating as I could stay on the machine longer if only my feet would hold out!!!
  • kaedaza
    Options
    good idea, do tend to put weight on my toes. I know its always my feet that go first! so frustrating
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I found I was tieing my shoes too tight! I loosen then when I get on the elliptical.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    get better shoes! and if the tread starts to wear even slightly, it's time to replace them.
  • Journalartista
    Journalartista Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree about the shoes. The first few times I did it my feet went numb. The I decided to try a pair that are about a half size to big and no numbness!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    It happens to me all the time! Used to be after 15 minutes, but after loosening my shoes I can go for about 45 now before they start tingling/losing feeling. By that time I'm usually bored anyway and take it as a sign that my body is also bored.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Loosen your laces. Your feet are swelling.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem, think it may just be from your foot being in the same position for and extended period of time. Check that your shoes aren't tied too tightly also!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem before...it eventually went away. I did get new shoes so maybe that's why. It's annoying I know!
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have found that lengthening the stride on my machine helps with this problem. Maybe it just causes me to use my whole foot better instead of just the toes.
  • rainbowbright3
    rainbowbright3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I have that problem too and am curious to see how it turns out.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Yep happened to me when I first started using it. I started lifting my heels on the up stroke and that fixed it. It feels a little awkward at first but you get used to it.
  • Heatherjg0419
    Heatherjg0419 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with numbness and I realized I was wearing terrible shoes.

^this
  • kittenmcgowan
    kittenmcgowan Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yeah my sister and I get the same thing, and it is mostly to do with how we use our feet. We have a horrible habit of putting the weight on the ball of our feet, rather than evenly distributed across the foot. The main thing stopping us from fixing it is the simple fact that it's EASIER to go on your toes, and uses your butt and thighs lots more if you use your heels more. But basically, do anything on your feet long enough and you'll lose feeling in them.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need better shoes - but in the meantime, loosen your laces or google different ways to lace your shoes - it really does make a difference.