Weight loss and alcohol

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm very confused about this topic. I've read that you're not supposed to drink alcohol if you're trying to lose weight. I've also read that it's ok. So I don't know what to do. I enjoy going out with my friends and having a few drinks, but I'm not sure if I should. If I do drink does that mean that I have to exercise more? Is there certain drinks that are ok? Any help would be very much appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is not only high in calories, it is also a poison. Do you know why you get hangovers? It's because alcohol is a toxin. If you drink too much of it, it will kill you. If you drink more than a very small amount (i.e., one small glass of wine a day) on a daily basis it can have long term effects on your body, including liver disease, heart disease, high blood pressure, reflux and nerve damage.

And we advertise it on television, billboards and bring it to nearly every event in our lives.
  • Robinsond61
    Options
    I love alcohol...& I've lost weight. During the 2 months I've been MFP-ing, I've had maybe 5 or 6 'party' nights with my college friends. Copious amounts of alcohol consumed & I'm still doing well. Just takes a day or two to get your body back on track, but it doesn't set you back too much as long as it's not a regular thing. IMO, eat light, drink heavy, and be merry
  • conkle23
    conkle23 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Actually one glass of wine a day is healthy for you, it has a lot of nutrients.

You should not drink any alcohol the day you intend to work out it cause of many reasons:

It makes you dehydrated.
    It increase fat storage's
    and depletes the body of minerals and vitamins.
  • BrazenHarpy
    BrazenHarpy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A single shot of vodka is about 100 calories. Your average Cosmopolitan (random cocktail choice) is about 230 calories for a four ounce beverage. Beer can be anywhere from 110 to 230, depending on the beer. Those calories can definitely add up.

I'm a pretty big fan of alcohol, so I didn't quit drinking when I started dieting. My suggestion is that you limit drinking to once or twice a week, and definitely be aware of the number of empty calories that alcohol is putting into your body.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If it's not something I can stick with for the rest of my life I am not doing it. This isn't a diet, it's a lifelong change. No way would I give up all alcohol. I like wine - I drink it, I log it, I make room for it in my diet.

Basically any really sweet, fruity drink is going to be the worst diet-wise. Red (dry) wine is good, you can make mixed drinks with diet soda instead of regular. Vodka or tequila with club soda, truvia, and lemon and/or lime is good. Beer cals add up. I prefer to drink a good craft beer instead of throwing calories away on crap beers and the alcohol content is higher so you don't drink as many.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    When I was younger and frequently went out with friends for happy hour etc, we used to say "alcohol doesn't count" when counting calories. But that's because we were often on crash diets (500-800 cals/day), ran like crazy (25+ /week), smoked cigarettes to cut our appetites, and we were young (faster metabolism). Now that I'm "old" and a lot healthier (though a lot fatter) I certainly count alcohol. A 6oz glass of wine is 150 cals and it turns to sugar (and excess sugar turns into fat). It's too bad because I love wine and I can really put it away, but I want to be fit and healthy more than I want wine. So when I do occasionally have a glass or two, I make sure to drink lots of water and definitely track the calories.
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine as long as you log it. I'm not giving it up, just cutting back.
  • heish7146
    heish7146 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I drink less often that I used to. I've always drank captain and diet. It's full of calories, but since I am limiting myself as it is, I am going to drink what I want. I do eat lighter on days I plan to drink. Go out, and have fun!
  • 44beanie
    44beanie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Vodka is what trainers recommend if you have to drink something. It's the least fatting of all as long as you don't drink it with juices. Diet 7up or tonic are suggested with lemon or lime wedge. But any trainer will tell you not to drink. It doesn't hurt as long as it is done in moderation.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Vodka is what trainers recommend if you have to drink something. It's the least fatting of all as long as you don't drink it with juices. Diet 7up or tonic are suggested with lemon or lime wedge. But any trainer will tell you not to drink. It doesn't hurt as long as it is done in moderation.
    Pretty much any hard liquor has the same calories as vodka.
  • Chriswind
    Chriswind Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I looked it up for my own benefits as well. I won't drink before a work out. I am a vodka drinker which I am told is one of the alcohols with the least calories. What I do to keep the calories low is mix with a no calorie beverage, like diet soda or water with lemon juice.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

If you go over you're maintenance cals because of the alcohol you drink then it will likely lead to weight gain. However, the next morning you will be dehydrated and the random number generator will most likely give you a lower number. Once you are rehydrated you will be back to normal.
  • ddeleonm09
    ddeleonm09 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone! :) its great to have all of this support. :)
  • laprovocateur
    laprovocateur Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any hard liquor has the same calories as vodka.

Incorrect:
    Patron Silver 69 calories
    Belvedere 64 calories
    Jagermeister 103 calories
    Grey Goose 69 calories
    Kettle One 69 calories
    Jameson 69 calories
    Crown Royal 69 calories
    Henessy 69 calories
    Bailey’s 90 calories
    Bacardi 65 calories
    151 rum 122 calories