Children's lunch box ideas

My 4 year old starts a new preschool on Monday. Would love some healthy lunchbox ideas and recipes. Thanks in advance

Replies

• nyteyz82
    nyteyz82 Posts: 43
    Sultana's? lettuce and cheese sandwiches on wholemeal or brown bread? anything small and easy to eat i guess
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Have you tried giving your child some cut-up veggies? Carrot sticks or baby carrots, or zucchini slices would be good.

If he likes crackers, perhaps some whole-wheat ones (like Wheat Thins) with some cheese.

Cookies? Perhaps some cookies with dried fruit in them (cranberries or raisins work well).
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Look into bento recipes.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    I have a 5 & 6 yr old, here are a few ideas my kids like:

Home made chicken strips (made with chicken, egg wash and crumbled special K.) With mustard to dip.

mixed veggie bag with homemade tzatziki sauce (Greek yogurt, cucumber, fresh dill, lemon juice, dash pepper)

wheat thin crackers with cheese and chicken or turkey

Build your own soft taco/burrito (put Childs favorites in mini separate containers or bags, I usually do chicken, rice, black beans, veggies)

The last thing I do isn't too healthy but it's good for a quick meal:

half hot dog wrap in puff pastry such as croissant and cook a croissant directions require. mustard or ketchup dip.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Oh forgot one more:

kabobs. You can place whatever you want on a stick and kids will love it! I usually do a few combinations: French toast pieces with strawberries and bananas. Chicken with their favorite fruits and veggies (mine like those baby corns, pineapple, and cucumbers). Cheese and meat together is always good too. If your kids eat like mine they usually like dip so I'll put yogurt for the sweet kabobs and mustard for the savory :)
  • barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    It's good to get them to make it with you and give them lots of encouragement for making healthy choices :D Yoghurt with some mixed fruit like grapes /blue berries to mix in, pitta bread with salad etc on so lots of fresh and not too much processed and little portions of several different things that can be picked at because you often find they don't eat as much as you think they will but have something on hand for a snack when they come through the door . I know mine is always 'starving' when he comes home x