Whats the key points of weight loss?

Options
Hi everyone today is my 1st day with fitness pal, and I was wondering what is the key idea, when looking at your daily food and excerise tracker and the net after the subtraction. Eat more, work out more, eat less, what is the main idea when looking at your calories, should it equal zero or how does it work

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eat until your "calories remaining" number = 0.

The number MFP sets (plus extra when you exercise) is the amount you should aim for - in order to stay healthy while you lose weight.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Eat until your "calories remaining" number = 0.

The number MFP sets (plus extra when you exercise) is the amount you should aim for - in order to stay healthy while you lose weight.

X2. Eating majority of your calories (within plus or minus 5% of the goal) seems to be about the most important factor.

But if you have a bad day and go way over don't sweat it or beat yourself up, enjoy the beer or cake or whatever and get back on track tomorrow.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Burn more fat and calories than you consume.

Edit to add ... on a consistent basis over a long period of time.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    1. Just keep going.
    2. Log everything. Even on bad days
    3. Be patient
  • spazz_face
    Options
    Ehhh. I dunno I think if you eat till calories remaining is close to zero you can be more inclined to gain weight, if you are exercising also. I eat my initial set amount of calories but I do not eat back the ones I gain from work outs, so i always have a fairly high number of "remaining calories" at the end of the day, even though I eat 1200ish a day.
  • Ruger2506
    Options
    Ehhh. I dunno I think if you eat till calories remaining is close to zero you can be more inclined to gain weight, if you are exercising also. I eat my initial set amount of calories but I do not eat back the ones I gain from work outs, so i always have a fairly high number of "remaining calories" at the end of the day, even though I eat 1200ish a day.

Only eating 1200 calories a day? You are seriously starving yourself and in the end you gain fat and suffer mentally. The bodies functions require way more than that just to maintain normal day to day living.

I am one of many examples. Eating 2000 (no workout day) to 3000 calories (heavy work out day) and have lost 55+ pounds in 7 months.
  • allisonshaw710
    allisonshaw710 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Don't forget to make your food choices healthy ones! Fruits, veggies, lean meats, legumes whole grains!! Be careful of eating too little. When I first started MFP had me at 1200 cals a day (for 2 lbs/week loss), but I wasn't losing at that level...apparently going into survival mode and not eating enough. I increased my cals to 1500 / day and doing much better now.
    And I agree, if you go over - log it anways. Don't sweat and make the next day count!!

732086.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Drink 8 cups of water a day.

Get up and move!

Eat at least 1200 NET calories. Probably a good bit more depending on your goals and stats.

Everyone has bad days.

Don't quit on yourself!!

You didn't gain it in a day, it's not going to come that fast!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone today is my 1st day with fitness pal, and I was wondering what is the key idea, when looking at your daily food and excerise tracker and the net after the subtraction. Eat more, work out more, eat less, what is the main idea when looking at your calories, should it equal zero or how does it work

Key of weight loss?

Eat less, move more.
  • Ruger2506
    Options
    The eating healthy brings up a good point that nobody shared with me when I started. While eating healthy you need to eat a TON of food to get to your caloric goal. You feel full but have a lot of calories to still eat. You feel lke you are eating just to eat.

So trying to find a rhythm helps. Me....I eat a lot of small meals through out the day. A lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, PB and J have a lot of protien, good fat, and calories. So I can eat more quality and less volume.

It is a learning curve.

I still go out and treat myself to an ice cream cone, beer, Buffalo Wild Wings, etc. i didn't stop living. I just found a way to make those calories fit into my life and goals.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    There is no need to starve yourself. Throw out the idea that the only way to lose weight is to starve yourself or eat some pathetically low number of calories.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Only eating 1200 calories a day? You are seriously starving yourself and in the end you gain fat and suffer mentally. The bodies functions require way more than that just to maintain normal day to day living.

I am one of many examples. Eating 2000 (no workout day) to 3000 calories (heavy work out day) and have lost 55+ pounds in 7 months.

I agree. I eat about 2000 calories a day, eating back my exorcise calories. You have to fuel your body. Also I've found, at least for me, you have to play with it a little. See what works for you. But yes the basic idea is to eat the calories MFP tells you, and eat back your exercise calories until you equal out to around the zero calories left, give or take. Log everything, and get a good support group. :)
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Drink 8 cups of water a day.

Get up and move!

Eat at least 1200 NET calories. Probably a good bit more depending on your goals and stats.

Everyone has bad days.

Don't quit on yourself!!

You didn't gain it in a day, it's not going to come that fast!
    1. Just keep going.
    2. Log everything. Even on bad days
    3. Be patient

If you have a bad day there is always the next day.. Enjoy life and drink and be merry life is to short..
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This answers more than your extended question, but here have been my keys to success so far:

*Drink lots of water. Lots and lots. More than 8 glasses if you can. Cut out soda. Drink hot tea!
    *Eat as clean as possible. I didn't realize how much "food" we buy from the grocery store isn't actually food. It's created in a lab. Load up on your fruits, veggies, whole grains, and proteins.
    *Eat your healthy fats and eat your carbs. There are a lot of carbs in fruit. There is a lot of fat in nuts. This is ok!
    *Lift weights! More muscle = higher metabolism = more calories burned. You won't bulk up, and strong is sexy!
    *Don't let one bad day ruin it. Get back on track the following day.
    *Don't let the scale determine how well you think you're doing. Take measurements, weigh in once and a while, and just keep going. It will all happen!

Good luck!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Hard work!!!

Dedication!!!