When to weigh

Options
So I have been using MFP for about a month now. I have not been weighing myself too often, but when I weighed myself about 3 days ago I had lost 5 pounds.. I stuck to my calorie goals the next three days and when I weight myself today I was 4 pounds heavier.. I know you weight can fluctuate throughout the day but both times I weighed myself it was in the morning before I had anything to eat or drink. This kind of makes me think that the five pounds I thought I lost is not real. Does anyone know why my weight would change so much? When is the best time to weigh yourself and how long should you wait before each weigh in?

Replies

• faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the cause, but I can say that I have experienced this too. Any info would be helpful! My thought is that they are poo pounds. What are your thoughts?
  • NikkiTheRazor
    NikkiTheRazor Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This happens to me often as well...I weigh myself in the morning before I have anything to eat or drink. Some days I weigh as low as 133, sometimes as high as 137. I want to say it could be "poo pounds" as faefaith said, but it might also be water weight too. I'm not entirely sure :\
  • SarahNicole1227
    Options
    Also, if it's around that time of the month, you'll weigh more from bloating/water retention that goes away afterwards.
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal. I get on the scale pretty much daily, sometimes multiple times a day. I think it's interesting to see the fluctuations. However, I generally only record my weight on a monthly basis and I've noticed that I've been losing about 4-5 pounds per month overall. So I think it helps to to look at it from a less than daily perspective. Try to go a couple of weeks or a month at a time before you officially record your weight and see if that makes a difference. I still hop on the scale frequently, but I'm not as freaked out by the daily fluctuations.
  • NikkiTheRazor
    NikkiTheRazor Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal. I get on the scale pretty much daily, sometimes multiple times a day. I think it's interesting to see the fluctuations. However, I generally only record my weight on a monthly basis and I've noticed that I've been losing about 4-5 pounds per month overall. So I think it helps to to look at it from a less than daily perspective. Try to go a couple of weeks or a month at a time before you officially record your weight and see if that makes a difference. I still hop on the scale frequently, but I'm not as freaked out by the daily fluctuations.

I need to start doing that instead of hopping on the scale every day and being either overjoyed or severely disappointed. LOL