How many lbs of fat are you trying to lose a week?

Options
Just curious... I'm not sure whether to set mine lower. Currently at 1 lb per week but it's tough not to be impatient.

Replies

• trisha671
    Options
    1lb a week is reasonable if you are eating right and exercising atleast 2-3x. I'm trying to lose 2-3 lbs a week. I'm working out 6x week.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The rate that you can lose fat depends on how much fat you have on you. If you have 30lbs or less to lose, then don't do 2lbs per week. Generally, 2lbs/week is for people with more than 30lbs to lose, 1.5lbs/week is good for 15-30lbs to lose, 1lb/week is good for 5-15lbs to lose and 0.5lbs/week is for 5lbs or less to lose. Those are just my own general guidelines though, other people will tell you different things.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at your pictures and wondering what fat you need to lose? What is your BF%? You look pretty lean. If you are trying to drop lose last few % of BF, they come off very slow.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    0.7/week. My doctor wants me on 0.5, but I feel like that's way too slow when the recommended healthy weight for my height is a good 35 lbs away and my goal is 10 lbs above that anyway.
  • cathiaflock
    cathiaflock Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    As much as I can, lol. Isn't that all our goals. :bigsmile:
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    2 lbs. a week, but I'm obese.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    A quarter pound a week. :laugh: I'm just a tiny bit below maintenance, as a buffer for the times when I don't bother logging.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I'm set to 0.6 lbs a week, but I don't seem to even make that. Lately it's been around a lb a month, and i still have 18 lbs to go, grrrr
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose 1lb per week. I do it this way because I know it's probably the healthiest route in many ways. I can have the least amount of muscle loss going slowly and my skin has enough time to catch up with all of the changes. I have been doing this since September 1st of last year, and so far my skin has handled it pretty well, I think. Sometimes I do get impatient, but then I think of the reasons why I am going nice and slow. It's supposed to be a lifestyle change anyway for me.
  • ppatricia81
    ppatricia81 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    im trying for 2lbs a week, but i have a lot of weight to lose.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    As much as I can, lol. Isn't that all our goals. :bigsmile:

Actually, it's not for some of us. If you lose as much as you can, you can lose a lot of lean mass and muscle tissue as part of that weight loss. Some of us are trying to lose fat and retain lean muscle. When you are doing that, it's not really about how much weight you can lose. It's about developing your muscle structure and burning off fat. Doing that, you can only lose so much fat in a given time frame. it's slower but more healthy in the long run.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 2 lbs/wk. I am actually eating at a deficit for 2lbs/wk weight loss but I realize because of muscle, the scale may not budge at first.. so far its been between 1.5 - 3 lbs/wk. I aim to lose like between 20-30 of fat weight
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    1 lb a week... been losing slightly more than that. When I go back to school in a couple of weeks it will get more difficult again.
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree! I have to keep reminding myself to be patient, that it took years to put the weight on, and I should feel lucky that it'll take less time to get it off.

On the other hand, for me, this is not a diet or temporary program. This is a lifestyle change, so I expect to forever be logging the foods I eat so I can stay informed. I don't want the heartbreak of gaining it back once I have so proudly lost it!!

Also, you don't want to lose weight too quickly or you'll have too much excess skin to deal with- gotta let the skin come down with the fat...

Look at the success page and read some of the stories there- they are TOTALLY encouraging and motivating for me :)

Oh to answer your question, I'm going for 1.5lbs/week.
  • Westman67
    Westman67 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    2lbs/week. I still have a ways to go.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Set at 0.5 lbs/week but I'm breastfeeding so I'm actually dropping closer to 1 lb/week.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    .5lb a week since I'm 10lbs from GW. My weight loss has only averaged .8lbs a week so it's been a slooow journey.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I am happy with my 2 lbs per week. Since I started out so obese, my Dr. and Nut have approved this.

I am also fairly closely monitored :)
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options

That would be awesome haha I mean if it were mostly fat