For weight loss, should I focus on carbs or calories?

Options

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    For me it's about the old, time saying "eat balanced nutrition". It's about hydrating enough with water(I shoot for 64 ounces but usually only do 48)and about regular exercise and a variety. Also as much variety in my meals so I don't get bored or tired of things.

I read again about some book or some "expert" opinion on not eating carbs, "there are no essential carbs" "carbs are the enemy" and I've heard the same over and over on fats and red meat. Someone is always out to sell a new idea or what they call a new, expert opinion. The media is peppered with get thin quick schemes, people have died because of many supposed short-cuts to good health.

With all the processed food plus junkfood out there, people have gotten in trouble, and the biggest culprit? Being sedentary in your everyday life. Check out how often you see anyone outdoors? Other than driving a car. Yes there may be a bunch in the gym.

I for one eat from every food-group including a slice of pie, cookies, icecream, applecrisp, a beer, a wine(bottle, kidding, usually 2 glasses). One goal I have is to never have to say "no, I can't have that cause I'm on a diet" or "I don't eat that". Eggplant, I don't like eggplant though, :laugh: I don't believe in abusing my body by depriving it anymore than I would abuse it by eating too much and not exercising. I hope I never do that again.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Your body needs carbs to thrive... There is no reason to avoid them like the plague... They fuel your brain and they're the easiest for your body to break down into useable energy...

What you need to focus on is a healthful, balanced diet. Watching your calories is key for weight loss, but properly fueling your body to do so is just as important. You need more carbs when doing cardio and more protein when doing weights. On average, you should aim for 30% fat, 30% protein and 40% carbs.

It doesnt really matter what you eat, but temember that calories are not created equal. There are so many sites on the net that discuss this: Check this out::::: http://www.nasm.org/hfpnpreview/article.aspx?id=3443

If you burn more calories then you consume then you will lose weight. But it is a good idea to balance your calories between carbs protein and fat to get proper nutrition.
    ^THIS^
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    "Don't count calories, make calories count" I would say yes watch your caloires, but also choose healthy carbs, whole grains, fruit & vegtables that are packed with fiber. If you must have bread, choose whole grain. It works for me & I have never felt hungry and have lost major inches in my belly fat.
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    For most "normal dieters" I would say calories. I mainly count carbs first then calories, but I was diagonised as a type II diabetic. So carbs are killers. To lose weight really to need to watch both and exercise. As my ticket shows I have lost 36 pounds and my A1C (3 month average of my sugar readings) went from 8.5 to 6.2 since April 8th to now, which is AWESOME! I still have a long ways to go and I will always have to count carbs, but I am up for the challenge. Good luck on your journey!!
  • conradhughes
    conradhughes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I see what you meant. Now would those calories partitioned to fat get utilized as energy during the valley periods between the intake of nutrition if one is in an overall calorie deficit? Also, is partitioning to muscle glycogen something that occurs only when completely depleted or is it an ongoing process with glycogen being expended through activity and getting replaced "on the fly" so to speak?

Assuming the body has a storage of fat to draw on, which it normally does of around 30000 cals+, during periods of insulin release, the body does two things - burns significantly less muscle and burns significantly less fat. Then it starts storing. It partitions where it is needed. If one is relatively active over a 24 hour period some muscle glycogen will be burned (it's just the extra-double-strength carb loading that occurs when glycogen is fully empty), which will then be refilled.

The amount partitioned to muscle and the amount partitioned to fat and the amount passed as waste will usually depend on leptin levels (a whole other horrible story which relates to the 'set-point' of bf%), as well as what's actually needed- so, your activity level.

It's basically impossible to eat anything that could end up as muscle glycogen without releasing some storage hormone (insulin). So for the few hours after you're done eating (anywhere between 30 mins and 2 hours essentially) you're in storage mode and won't burn much fat or muscle.

Afterwards, it starts shifting the balance and the body begins eating itself again. After 12 hours, your body fuel comes entirely from fat stores. Then the balance starts to shift towards protein while still burning more fat than muscle. Then at around 24 hours, you're burning pretty much solid muscle (hence eating a lot of protein). At 3 days, your metabolic rate starts to drop.

However. You don't need insulin to store glucose in cells- mass transit will do this too (I forget the terminology, but basically the principles of osmosis) if there's a lot of glucose in the blood and no insulin about. It just helps. Note, as a slightly related aside, that protein synthesis still happens in the muscle cells up to 36 hours after the muscle has been worked out (not always, but up to 36 hours).
  • conradhughes
    Options
    When I'm not working out, I'm pretty sedentary and 50# overweight (5'5" and 188 lbs) and have never had much of a metabolism. Ever. Doc checked my thyroid about a year ago and it's fine, and my health is good. Can anyone help with some ideas of what I may be doing wrong--? Should I see a dietician or something?

Thyroid isn't the only thing that controls the hypothalamus - also various different hormones. Get your blood sugar and insulin levels tested as you are probably highly insulin resistant and over-secreting insulin on top of that.

You need to stop eating at so low calories every day. Take a 1 week break in your diet and then re-work it out. Do 2 weeks at 800-1000 calories a day eating around 120 grams of protein a day and essentially as many vegetables as you like (except potatoes and corn) and see how you feel from there.

Be meticulous on your calorie counting when you do this. Get home scales if you aren't already using them- because you're eating more than 1200 calories a day. It's almost (almost) impossible for you to have done that for 4 weeks and gained weight- I will bet significant money on the fact that you are underreporting what you eat.

Good luck, and don't panic.
  • conradhughes
    Options
    I for one eat from every food-group including a slice of pie, cookies, icecream, applecrisp, a beer, a wine(bottle, kidding, usually 2 glasses). One goal I have is to never have to say "no, I can't have that cause I'm on a diet" or "I don't eat that". Eggplant, I don't like eggplant though, :laugh: I don't believe in abusing my body by depriving it anymore than I would abuse it by eating too much and not exercising. I hope I never do that again.

Too right!
  • gergie
    gergie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    omg, I feel sorry for you :( So many replies, so many diff ideas all good I'm sure.First let me tell you I know how it feels to track your food,work out and see little or no results. I t happened to me during a period of time in Weight Watchers,I was so discouraged but my leader told me week after week with no results to stick to it and it will work itself out in the end>She was right, when it finally started coming off, it came off big time! I remained at goal for a yr and a half but slowly started putting it back on. As for the cal vs. carbs, I was on Dr. Bernstein for 1 month and lost 27 lbs, great no doubt, but boy was I dizzy and zapped of energy...I had to quit cause I almost passed out several times. Not good!
    So my dear I say to you,count your calories continue to workout and everything will fall into place,just be patient. Good luck :D
  • lehmann75
    Options
    In my experience, carbs ARE calories. I follow my calories, but if I look at my typical day the carb counts are much, much lower than they were pre-diet.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Calories and a good balance of mostly healthy foods. If you have a medical issue that makes you sensitive to carbs, then you should limit them.

I think this is spot on - don't make this too hard for yourself by setting lots of complicated rules or depriving yourself of everything that you enjoy. I think it really comes down to only 3 things:
    1. eat a moderate amount of mostly healthy foods,
    2. exercise a bit - and
    3. keep on doing this for the rest of your life.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    So nice to see a carb/calories discussion that has stayed civil!

I think this is one of those things where people's responses seem to vary widely. I think most of this variance depends on whether or not we're insulin resistant but there could be other factors involved. So one really needs to test things out and see what works for them, imho.

For me, I can exercise intensely just fine on 40-70 grams/carb daily. This includes things like spin and boot camp classes. I have energy, feel great, etc. Below 40 grams/day, I do notice a bit of an energy slump. I'm fine for daily activities but hit a wall when doing the more intense exercising. I only need to up my carbs if I'm doing long-term cardio, i.e. bicycling 40+ miles/day. But if I up those carbs to have energy for that type of longer exercising, my weight loss stops or I can even see a gain. And I have to watch that I don't up too much because then I get sluggish, headaches, etc. It can be difficult to find the right balance.

Of course, others can eat mostly carbs, feel great and still lose weight.

Do some tracking to test to see which way works best for you.

Oh...some believe that you don't need to count calories when counting carbs. This has never worked for me. I have to limit both to be successful.
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm a low-carber, was following Atkins, but have started following the Primal Blueprint and can say that cutting out sugar and all processed foods and upping my protein consumption made me feel and function better. The carbs I eat are mostly from vegetables and some fruit and I generally keep the number between 30 & 50 grams per day. This has helped keep my blood sugar levels even throughout the day which keeps my energy levels and even my state of mind even. I don't think that people who don't have hypoglycemia (like me) would even care much about their blood sugar levels though. Of course, I also like to get plenty of sleep and also often exercise in the mornings (Power 90 and Tae Bo routines mostly) and that also helps to keep me focused all day at work. I am losing weight slowly, but steadily and feeling much healthier.
  • rhondagraymond
    Options
    I lost 26 pounds on a low carb weight loss diet (http://www.dukandiet.com/) , but I’d have to say it’s a little bit of both. You have to learn to count your calories while eating the right foods and getting a good workout in every day
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Focus on calories. Eat healthy and balanced.

There is lots of good advice in this thread (on protein, workout etc.)

My 2cents. Your body burns sugar. It's much easier to produce sugar from carbs than from fat. In order to transform fat to sugar your body is working harder. That's why your body absorbs less calories from fat than from carbs. Simple thermodynamics. In the end it's not important if you stick to your calorie goal and eat healthy.
  • healthymission92
    Options
    I cut out almost all carbs about a year ago. Lost all my babyweight. SO IT WORKS!

Went more than 10 lbs below my prepregger weight....and then binged hard. ON carbs.

Gained 30 lbs back.

Decided to add them back in but eat them in controlled amounts.

Once I was able to control my carbs, I then was able to get my calorie count under control.

Anyways that is what worked for me.

I think cutting carbs(especially the wrong kind) is a VERY good idea. I just took it too far. I even cut out the good carbs like fruit.(I ended up binging on bananas.)

I no longer cut out fruit. I eat plenty of veggies and eat things like breads and pastas and oatmeal in very controlled amounts. Not as much as in the past, but not taking them out of my diet either.

I did the same and cut out all fruit, was even wary of eating green veg at one point. Led me to binge and put on an extra 20lbs. Now I eat oatmeal etc I just focus on good carbs and cut out junk food. I feel much better!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Calories is much more important to weight loss. Eating the right amount, not just a low amount, is the key.

Obviously eating healthier is better for you in the long run, but you can still have carbs and lose weight as long as you are eating the right amount of calories.

:drinker:
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Its better to look at the over all nutrition of food if you want to be healthy in general, but you can lose weight focusing on either....First time I had a significant weight loss I counted calories, this time im looking more at fat, carb, and protein....First time i lost pounds, this time I'm losing inches....dunno if that helps you or not.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will get a variety of answers but i hit my goal weight purely by counting calories. i'm a carbo-holic and was pretty much over everyday in carbs however successfully lost a pound a week (which was my goal) and have been on maintenance for a year. Hope that helps and good luck!
  • sonshinelady
    sonshinelady Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How does one find out what their MAINTENANCE weight is? Obviously someone 5'7" medium boned is different than someone 5'4" and small boned. .... is there a good resourceful place to find this out?
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I read a few posts then got bored and didn't go any further. So here is my take.

First focus should always be calories. Too many calories and you will gain. It's a fact of life.

Second focus, clean up your eating. This part is coming from a Primal eater so my clean is different from others. I eat only meat, fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds and some dairy (no grains period and rarely legumes). Has it worked for me? Yup, I am now under what I weighed in high school over 20 years ago. Will I gain if I go back to eating carbs? Dunno, I 'm not going back. And here is a shocker to some, binging on anything will make you gain, not just carbs.

I am never hungry and all those that say you get lethargic and dizzy apparently have never done this way of eating. I can go hour plus on elliptical with no issues where 9 months ago I could barely walk up a flight of stairs. I am never tired (okay some days when I sleep 2 hours the night before I yawn a bit).

This is not a diet nor a fad. It is a way of life. It works for me, it works for many others. Will it work for you? It depends if you want it to or not.