Foods that aren't "worth" the calories

Options
Have you noticed that there are foods that you used to eat all the time, but now think about eating, and decide, "Nah, it's not worth the calories"?

I've found this with wine, a lot. Often I'll think about pouring a glass, and then think about other things I could eat for 100cals, and decide against it. I do the same thing with chips, nuts, and even with cheese, which I usually LOVE.

What foods are you passing on these days?

Replies

• mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Cookies, fries, hamburgers, bagels, pastries in general, regular chips
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Beef burgers-I usually opt for homemade turkey burgers instead

French fries--if I indulge I choose the sweet potato fries

cakes, chocolate bars--I try to minimize these , not always on track

other than that I just adjust my portions/workouts and enjoy the food
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    -Alcohol and soda, don't want to drink my calories
    -Cookies, cake and ice cream, well sometimes
    -Bananas, it used to be my go to fruit but now I opt for the others with less cals and carbs
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    The biggest change I have made is the liquids I consume.

I used to have the occasional coke, lemonade, fruit juice.

Now? I consume water, sparkling water, diet coke and diet lemonade.

I have also made minor changes to the meats I eat -

In regards to fish, I make the occasional exception of salmon (if it fits in to my calorie goal for the day). I used to eat salmon a lot more regularly - not so much anymore. I eat more snapper now as it is not so calorie dense.

I try to eat red meat only once or twice a week and only eat kangaroo as it is lower in fat than cow which means less calories ^_^

Turkey is also leaner and contains fewer calories than chicken, so I eat turkey whenever possible.

I hardly consume rice, pasta or any other form of hard carbs at night time because they seem calorie dense to me. Instead, I pile my plate up high with veggies :)
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Definitely soda. I've become very conscious of calories I drink. I'm a big wine person also, and I've cut back on it as well, but I tell you what. If work's been hella awful, I'm having my darn glass of wine. lol.
  • emjay1971
    Options
    Same here, wine and beer. I enjoy sampling different kinds, but have passed a few times lately because I'd rather eat my calories.

Also regular soda.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    Oh and I also used to consume vodka with red bull when I went out drinking

Now I have diet coke and vodka (not the nicest) OR soda water, slice of lime and vodka (I drink this one more often)

definitely makes an impact on your calorie consumption when you have 5-8 drinks in one night.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Energy drinks and pop.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    soda, anything that comes in a box, or you can get from a drive thru.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    fast food PERIOD:sick: , totally not worth the calories, when you can make the same thing at home for way less calories:bigsmile: .
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Juice
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Soda
    beer
    french fries
    donuts
    danish
    any pastries
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Now that I try to make a point of eating more whole foods, a lot of processed foods I used to love just taste bland/'fake'.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It's not the calories, but the sodium. I've been Jonesing for cottage cheese.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Pasta, pancakes (though I miss them), fried foods, pastries/baked goods... They may taste good but they're not worth the bull.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The convenient and fries. I never was in to sweets or soda but potato chips was my snack enemy!
  • Clardi777
    Clardi777 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Office birthday cake! I have 7 co-workers with birthdays on different days in August and they all bring in cake! So far I have gracefully declined 3 of them but may indulge in a small piece for my birthday on the 20th!
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Potato chips and pasts!
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Most fast food, other than the occasional Wendy's salad or Moe's Joey Jr.

And breakfast biscuit sandwiches. It has to be a really, really special day for me to have a Bojangles meal.

Mostly though, I just try to cook more at home and not stress.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I recently got diagnosed with type2 DM and in addition to looking at the calorie content of food, I have to be aware of the carbs..OMG an eye opener big time with carbs.

I don't drink juices, stopped eating regular bread products (I get low cal/low carb), pasta/rice, desserts (cakes/cookies/brownies), chips. (I will get 100 cal packs if I feel the need).

I will fit things into my food plan that I want to have but I'm scrutinizing everything a lot more than I ever did and deciding if it is indeed "worth" eating for the amt of cals/carbs it has.