About middle age

Options
I don't know why, but I will be 40 soon and I would like to know if I am middle aged yet. There is such a stigma at least in my own mind about being middle aged. I want to be still considered a young person, not middle aged. There seems to be so many limits to being middle aged or at least approaching it.

Would this view of the stages of life be accurate or inaccurate?
Babyhood birth to 3 years
Childhood 3 to 17 years
Adulthood transition 18 to 21 years
Young adulthood 21 to 34 years
Early midlife 35 to 44 years
Midlife 45 to 55 years
Later midlife 56 to 65 years
Senior/older age transition 65-70 years
Senior and older 70 and above

According to this stage, I am middle aged. Am I putting too much stress on myself?

Replies

• holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    What are these limits you speak of? My drivers license says I'm middle aged but I sure as hell don't feel like I am. Age is just a number. Quit stressing over a number..
  • sassydebbie67
    Options
    Yes you are Stressing your self out about it.... I am 45 and i feel like i am in my 30s ..Not body wise but mind wise.. Don't let the numbers get you down it how you feel inside....
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I'd rather grow old than the alternative.

Age means nothing.

An old bull and a young bull were standing on a hill looking down on a valley full of cows. “Hey”, says the young bull. “Let’s run down and enjoy one of those cows…”

“No”, says the old bull. “Let’s walk down and enjoy them all.”
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    What are these limits you speak of? My drivers license says I'm middle aged but I sure as hell don't feel like I am. Age is just a number. Quit stressing over a number..

^^^^This. Who cares about the limits? I'm 40 and feel like I'm 16 half the time. Seriously, I've learned since turning 40 nine months ago that a lot of stuff about being "middle-aged" is in my mind.
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'll be 50 in a few weeks.

Embrace what you have, enjoy the maturity that goes a long with being older.

While there are things that youth brings, that are also things that maturity and age brings.

It's just another stage of life.

It's a number. I fortunately feel better at 50 than I did at 40.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    DO the math....if avg lifespan is 72....middle age is actuall 36-38....so you, like me...are OLD!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

I was stressing this past birthday - but I have realized that age IS only a number. I think I'm in the best shape I've been in since the Air Force. :happy: No more stress....
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and I am middle aged...I don't feel it and really don't care. I have learned from what I have lived through. As a youngster you heard older folk say if I had only known what I know now, back when I was a kid. Well that's me I know that I have plenty more to learn and plenty more to teach. Embrace your age and all that you know, exercise and eat healthy to feel younger than you are. Even after just this summers lifestyle change I feel like I'm in my 30's...now shooting for 20's. Good Luck
  • geral4479WECHANGED
    Options
    :laugh:
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I am middle aged and fabulous, I am also a Grandma. Its all about being marvellous and nothing to do with when you were born
  • dirty_blonde
    dirty_blonde Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use to freak out about getting older...approaching 40.
    Getting older use to scare me

Then a friend of mine who was 23 yrs old with a 3 yr old daughter died of cancer. She would have given anything to grow old and watch her daughter grow up.

I no longer worry about getting older. I am thankful for each passing day the lord grants me with
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hey, my 40's were the best time of my life!! I just turned 50 and it gives me new insight!! :flowerforyou:
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    30 years to grow up
    30 years to live
    30 years to coast and eventually die
  • rumor23
    rumor23 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the knowledge I have today with the body I had 20 years ago. I would be a force to reckon with!
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm 42. I'm very happy with where I am in my life. I don't have to change diapers anymore. I don't have to worry about paying rent. I don't have to worry that I won't get hit on in the bar. I don't have to deal with bars. I don't care if my makeup isn't just perfect. I love meeting new friends but if someone doesn't like me I really couldn't care less. I'm comfortable with who I am. I know who I am. I know what I want and I'm reaching my goals. You couldn't pay me to go back to being in my 20s again. I wouldn't mind a do-over but I wouldn't want to just re-live it. I'd want to change a few things (like buying Apple stock 20 years ago! :laugh: )
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Don't care about labels!
  • kay930
    kay930 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am 40 years old and I don't feel old at all. Your age is really just a number. My sister died a year ago and she was only 37. I think that was very young. She could have had sooo many years to live. Try not to focus on how old you are. Try to live your life to the fullest and try to live it happily. Don't stress over it.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I use to freak out about getting older...approaching 40.
    Getting older use to scare me

Then a friend of mine who was 23 yrs old with a 3 yr old daughter died of cancer. She would have given anything to grow old and watch her daughter grow up.

I no longer worry about getting older. I am thankful for each passing day the lord grants me with

Instead of obsessing about your age... count your blessings. It's a much more positive way to look at things.
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'll be 50 in a few weeks.

Embrace what you have, enjoy the maturity that goes a long with being older.

While there are things that youth brings, that are also things that maturity and age brings.

It's just another stage of life.

It's a number. I fortunately feel better at 50 than I did at 40.

This!

I just celebrated 49 and proudly wear my age as a badge of honor. 50 here I come! You are only as old as you feel.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Old is always 10 years older than my current age. And middle age? Well, I don't have time to think about that because I'm too busy working toward achieving my goals. I suggest you do the same.