About middle age

Options
2»

Replies

• Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Middle age starts at 61 because of modern medicine (if you are lucky enough to live in a place with great medical care).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment (122).

and why should my middle age be determined by the average?
  • galegalek
    Options
    Yes you are stressing about this too much. My opinion...50 is the new 35, 40 is the new 30. and on and on and on. I am 55 and sometimes burn right on past the 30 somethings...lol only because I don't stay out as late as they do!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and in the best shape of my life! I worried more about getting old when I was younger, now I agree with the other posters that advise you to enjoy your age, live life to the fullest. We never know when it will end, and we need to cherish every moment!
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Old is always 10 years older than my current age. And middle age? Well, I don't have time to think about that because I'm too busy working toward achieving my goals. I suggest you do the same.
    You're my age so I can agree with that. :laugh:
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Very good post, thanks for sharing your concern... lots of good points of view...

My only thing I can contribute, if it can be called contribution, is that all the previous answers gave me some new perspectives and that was very nice of you all.
  • mmeddleton
    mmeddleton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 now. I'll let you know when I reach "middle aged".
  • gin_gin
    gin_gin Posts: 184
    Options
    you're as old as you wanna be, keep a young spirit, and surround yourself with lively people
    and you'll forget your age, I do lol
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but I will be 40 soon...

Not for three years, you young whippersnapper.

Now get off my lawn!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Age is truly a number. I have NEVER been in better shape or in such an empowered state of mind as I am now. It can only get better. So...screw the "middle age" "golden years" monikers. I'm doing this thing called LIFE my way!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'll be turning 50 next month and I feel awesome! Mostly because of being on MFP, working out a lot, and worrying too much about things my younger self used to worry about. One piece of advice though -- keep working out through your 40s. I pretty much stopped doing strength training for much of that decade (did some cardio) and not only did I gain a bunch of weight, but even scarier, my butt fell! And I can tell you, it's been a b%#&ch to get back up! But it's getting there!
  • summergrl17
    summergrl17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    so true :laugh:
  • summergrl17
    summergrl17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's not about age, its about how much JOY you choose to live your life with. I'm more joyful now than when I was 40. And so much more than when I was in my 30's - spent that decade depressed. I hope to be more joyful in 5 years when I'm 60. Enjoy every moment that God has given you, be kind to those around you and be grateful for every day. Oh, yeah, and a good sense of humor really helps!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but I will be 40 soon and I would like to know if I am middle aged yet. There is such a stigma at least in my own mind about being middle aged. I want to be still considered a young person, not middle aged. There seems to be so many limits to being middle aged or at least approaching it.

Would this view of the stages of life be accurate or inaccurate?
    Babyhood birth to 3 years
    Childhood 3 to 17 years
    Adulthood transition 18 to 21 years
    Young adulthood 21 to 34 years
    Early midlife 35 to 44 years
    Midlife 45 to 55 years
    Later midlife 56 to 65 years
    Senior/older age transition 65-70 years
    Senior and older 70 and above

According to this stage, I am middle aged. Am I putting too much stress on myself?

I'm turning 40 in Dec. as well. Hence getting my stuff together health wise. At least it's not for a holiday.. ??
    My friend has a theory, "you're only as old as the boobies you feel" I'm ok with that. Age is just a number, your mentality is different!

You're not old 'til I'm old, and I'm NOT old! I tell that to my husband and few friends a bit younger than me all the time.
  • sleonardbranson
    Options
    Stop stressing out...I'm 40, middle aged as you call it...40's are the new 20's......Live life and stop worrying about turning 40.....Be happy, live healthy and enjoy life!!!!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Enjoy! You are young!!! When you're turning 45 like me you'll wish for 40 again lol.

Seriously, I have known people in their 20's act old and I've known people in their golden years really out there living and acting young which I think is great!! So just enjoy!!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Really?! 40 is the new 20? Well hot damn!! i'm only 25 then!! haha
  • blakeevan04
    blakeevan04 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm 42. I'm very happy with where I am in my life. I don't have to change diapers anymore. I don't have to worry about paying rent. I don't have to worry that I won't get hit on in the bar. I don't have to deal with bars. I don't care if my makeup isn't just perfect. I love meeting new friends but if someone doesn't like me I really couldn't care less. I'm comfortable with who I am. I know who I am. I know what I want and I'm reaching my goals. You couldn't pay me to go back to being in my 20s again. I wouldn't mind a do-over but I wouldn't want to just re-live it. I'd want to change a few things (like buying Apple stock 20 years ago! :laugh: )

Wow, great attitude.... I need to start thinking this way!
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    For me, age is just a number.
    I never thought I was "middle aged", although I am 38 so technically I should be. Sometimes I still feel like a teenager! And I think I get it from my father.

Case in point: Last night, at 68 years young, my pop got into his helmet and race gear and burned rubber down a racetrack in his top fuel dragster. So, WTH!

Of course I wish I had my 20-something year old metabolism, but hey I have my health, and much more wisdom and maturity. :D
  • crystaltate4
    Options
    as my hubby and i always say ur as young as u wanna be or as old as u make urself