Juice Fasting....

Options
I just started a juice fast (really just to detox my body and start the year fresh). My goal is to fast at least 10 days. Has anyone ever tried it, were you successful?

Replies

• amccarville
    Options
    10 days.....that seems like a long time to fast. I have only ever done 1 day, with 6 days of really low calories.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I think 10 days is a lot as well. I would start with a couple days, or even one day. Especially if you've never fasted before.
  • BethJJ12
    Options
    From what I have seen online many people do the juice fast for 30 days! I figured I would die before I made it that long! LOL. I will try a few days rather than 10, especially since it's my first fast. Thanks for the insight ladies! =)
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    I just started a juice fast (really just to detox my body and start the year fresh). My goal is to fast at least 10 days. Has anyone ever tried it, were you successful?

I wouldn't recommend it simply for the fact you're feeding your body a basic solution of fructose (sugar) over a span of ten days. Considering that fructose is the carb rush of fruit without natural fruit fiber or bulk, you're feeding your body a continuous supply of sugar, which doesn't provide much satiety or other nutrients. You may be drastically reducing your caloric consumption in a day, but you're also keeping your blood sugar at higher levels by consuming the fruit juice (sugar).

If you're going to try a fast, may I recommend a more basic means of doing so - intermittent fasting, basically fasting for a window of 18-24 hours. Intermittent fasting is a way to control blood sugar, reduce blood pressure, regulate hunger, and cleanse. An example of how to do so is fast from 6pm (after dinner) to 6pm the next day. Essentially, 12 of those hours are "easy" hours - the four following your dinner, and the 8 or so you spend sleeping and waking. During these 24 hours you are not to consume anything but water or herbal (decaf) tea. The reason being that you don't want to introduce sugar into the bloodstream or you've essentially ruined the benefit derived from fasting in the first place - controlled blood sugar.

I only recommend IF-ing if you are feeling sluggish or have not been eating proper diet. I really don't feel it gives anyone an edge on weight loss or should be used as some "diet", as some tend to overeat once they break a fast. However, after you've consumed a larger than normal meal or after a round of holiday eating, it may be a helpful tool to regulate your blood sugar and pressure. Keep in mind that many medical tests involving blood work are recommended in a fasted state.

For more information on the benefits of IF - check out Brad Pilon's site, Eat Stop Eat - http://bradpilon.com/ Take it as you may.
  • bubbles6
    Options
    I just saw a Dr. Oz show last night about eating too few calories. It is NOT a good idea to do that because you stop your metabolism from working properly. It almost shuts down. You may lose weight quickly by doing that but you will just gain everything back once you start eating again. I think 10 days is way too long and by the looks of it, you have a small child to care for...I would seriously consider just doing one day of a juice diet with maybe a small meal in the evening. You wouldn't want anything to happen to your health as a result of drastic measures and then not be able to care for your child. ( I have tried that juice diet before and I lost weight but I was weak and dizzy for most of it and never did it again...scared the bejesus out of me and I'm not a slim person). Good luck!
  • BethJJ12
    Options
    Well I was going to juice both fruits and vegetable so that I wasn't intaking just sugar from all the fruit. But it is a good idea about the intermittent fasting. Hmmm...you gave me alot to think about! I appreciate your thoughts...
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    First, you're denying your body protein. That, in and of itself is bad news. You are also denying yourself essential fats. This is a problem as well, as healthy fats are required for proper skin, hair, nail, and brain activity, not to mention fat soluble vitamin transport (among other things). Also consider that you will most likely be well under your fiber intake. Even if the fruit/veggie is fresh squeezed, you aren't receiving the fiber you need in the quantities you need. Lastly, remember, juice is basically (even if pulp is included) a partially digested form of food, which means the nutrients in there are absorbed and used quicker than normal, which means less satiation (feeling full), so you'll probably feel hungry a lot of the time.

After all that, you have one more thing to think about, after about 5 days with too little protein and calcium, your body starts to leech protein from your muscles and calcium from your bones in relatively large quantities to satisfy energy requirements, this means you're actually physically becoming weaker, and lowering your metabolic rate in the long term, so now you're making it harder to lose weight and become healthier in the future.

Note, these aren't opinions, these are the medical facts of what happens on a starvation diet, which is what a juice fast is (less than 50% of your maintenance calories is technically called a starvation diet.). Will it cause permanent damage? We don't know, but based on medical studies done, probably not if you are other wise healthy, but will it hinder progress? Almost definitely.
  • bambi5014
    Options
    I have read too, that you have to be careful with fasts and detox juice diets. Your body can go into starvation mode (even with regular dieting and not meeting your calorie intake for the day) which slows your metabolism. I took a diuretic to shed some water weight and have a jump start on my weight loss. I enjoy food too much to ever deprive myself totally, and when I want a few extra calories I just exercise much more. Please be careful. It looks like you are a mom. Especially if you are breastfeeding, I would highly recommend NOT doing the fast. Good luck!!
  • BillZ
    BillZ Posts: 4
    Options
    I investigated this a few years ago and came to the same conclusions as represented in the advice above. Although juice fasting may seem like a quick fix for an extremely short term, the net results can have negative impact on your overall health. I decided against it then and would not recommend it for anyone now.

You are better off following the biblical advice of "all things in moderation" and simply employ a balanced program of calories, carbs, and proteins with 6-8 glasses of water per day. Be sure you have a high fiber content in as many foods as you can find and your system will heal itself, in effect, self-cleansing and purging of all toxins.

I have implemented this type of routine over the last calendar year and have been rewarded with a weight loss of over 30 pounds by simply using a tool like MyFitnessPal to control my intake of quality foods. Good luck with your personal plan.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I investigated this a few years ago and came to the same conclusions as represented in the advice above. Although juice fasting may seem like a quick fix for an extremely short term, the net results can have negative impact on your overall health. I decided against it then and would not recommend it for anyone now.

You are better off following the biblical advice of "all things in moderation" and simply employ a balanced program of calories, carbs, and proteins with 6-8 glasses of water per day. Be sure you have a high fiber content in as many foods as you can find and your system will heal itself, in effect, self-cleansing and purging of all toxins.

I have implemented this type of routine over the last calendar year and have been rewarded with a weight loss of over 30 pounds by simply using a tool like MyFitnessPal to control my intake of quality foods. Good luck with your personal plan.

Here here! And congrats Bill!
  • BethJJ12
    Options
    Wow! I have totally rethought this whole thing based on everyone's insight and will not do the juice fast any longer. Seems as though I really am putting my health at risk and it is definitely not worth it, especially considering I have a 9 month old son to care for! I will set up a regular exercise routine and go back to my mainly vegetarian and raw food diet. Thanks everyone!!