Back is sore and stiff after Tae Bo each time

Options
I have digenerative disc diesease and usually only have pain through standing for long preiods without moving or sleeping and not moving much. I have been working out for 3 weeks and doing Billy Blanks This is Tae Bo video twice a week for 45-65 min.

After every workout my back is killing me and find it hard to sleep that night. I looove the video and is kicking off some serious calories but any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong or better yet some strength/core training to get myself stronger in that area? I should mention that the other 4 days a week I excercise I'm doing 30-45 of my own mix of strength/toning excercises with small intervals of high cardio between each set.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    If your back is killing you, then it's probably not exercise you should do.
    Stop Tae Bo for a week or so. If the pain subsides, then it's obvious that it's something you shouldn't do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Stef0325
    Stef0325 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Darn, I was hoping someone would say there was a magic set of core toning stretches and excercises I could do to get stronger. I hate to quit Tae Bo, I love it. Any alternative martial arts that would produce the cardio/strength training combo?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Darn, I was hoping someone would say there was a magic set of core toning stretches and excercises I could do to get stronger. I hate to quit Tae Bo, I love it. Any alternative martial arts that would produce the cardio/strength training combo?
    Because you have to tilt your pelvis at certain angles to kick (especially round houses and front kicks), the back will bear a lot of torque. You may try kicking at a much lower intensity, but that may usually take away the actual "fun" of doing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Stef0325
    Stef0325 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well if makes any difference my back is fine today it's just the few hours after I do Tae Bo and sometimes while I sleep. But today it's like nothing happened. I think I have discovered a few of the moves that may contribute to my back pain. I'll take your advice on trying lower intensity.
    Thanks!