Protein amount?

Options
Uh oh I had 25 too much protein!! What does that mean? I thought protein was good?? I have 190 calories left for the day.

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine...I'd worry more if I was over on calories and fat, maybe a little if I was over on carbs. I go over on protein frequently, but stay under my calories.
  • leochick35
    Options
    Happens to me too. But I still stay under the calories. I just need to learn my food and make better choices in the protein department. Seems like you can only have one good protein meal or you will go over. Hey, we are doing it, that is the most important right??
  • weddedbliss
    weddedbliss Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That is right, we are doing it!! Yay us!! Thank you ladies!!
  • dcy007
    dcy007 Posts: 6
    Options
    I go over every time but it's better than going over on fat or calories. I went over by about 12g.of fat a few days ago but realized it was because of the 1/2 avocado I put inmy salad, now I just use 1/8.
  • dcy007
    dcy007 Posts: 6
    Options
    This site has been so good for me as far as support and tracking my food intake...Thanks ladies!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Protein's good for you. Don't sweat it!
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I go over on protein too! I posted a similar thread to this just yesterday...I went over my protein by 24 grams yesterday and 21 today.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    dont worry about it mfp has protein % set low
  • runkerirun
    Options
    I am new here, but I immediately noticed the same thing and it irked me. I workout pretty hard so I went in and edited the nutrient tracking section and did a custom format. I put protein at 25% of my calorie intake and now it tracks more accurately to what I believe is a healthy level for me. I try to eat anywhere from 1-1.5 gm protein per kilogram of bodyweight. So you may want to go into the section where you can edit which nutrients are tracked and customize yours as well. I also bumped up the fiber requirement to 25 gm a day.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with some extra protein. My macro nutrients are set for a 35% protein intake which is approx. 180g per day on a 2000 cal intake. Some people that are carb sensitive actually get benefit from a slightly higher protein to carb intake ratio. Right now I try & maintain a 35% protein, 45% carb, 20% fat balance, and a refeed day (calories to maintenance levels) once a week to maintain lean muscle mass.

Don't forget, not all fats are bad...some are healthy & essential like the Omega 3, 6 & 9. Try to reduce saturates, and ELIMINATE trans fats.
  • viliberty
    Options
  • viliberty
    Options

I agree. My protein intake should be 70, but here it is 55. I still have a little difficulty, am usually a little over 55, but not over 70.
  • Hopey1994
    Hopey1994 Posts: 307
    Options
    i'm usually over by between 10 and 25 g every day. don't worry about it. As long as your meals are well balanced, a little extra protein isn't bad.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I am new here, but I immediately noticed the same thing and it irked me. I workout pretty hard so I went in and edited the nutrient tracking section and did a custom format. I put protein at 25% of my calorie intake and now it tracks more accurately to what I believe is a healthy level for me. I try to eat anywhere from 1-1.5 gm protein per kilogram of bodyweight. So you may want to go into the section where you can edit which nutrients are tracked and customize yours as well. I also bumped up the fiber requirement to 25 gm a day.

Could you explain how to do this? The only thing I can find to change is what nutrients to track. I can't find a way to change the percentages.
    Thanks.
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    Uh oh I had 25 too much protein!! What does that mean? I thought protein was good?? I have 190 calories left for the day.

i also have have set custom goals for the amount of protein/carbs/fat, you can change it under goals, custom. i think the amount of protein set is way too low and fat too high. i do 40/40/20 (occasionally i switch it to 35 protein, 40 carb, 25 fat for a break). good luck,
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,742 Member
    Options

Could you explain how to do this? The only thing I can find to change is what nutrients to track. I can't find a way to change the percentages.
    Thanks.
    Under "My Home," click on "Goals," then "Change Goals," then choose "Custom" ("Guided" is the default) and click "Continue." That will take you to the page where you can customize the percentages of your daily nutritional goals.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    you can change it under goals, custom. i think the amount of protein set is way too low and fat too high. i do 40/40/20 (occasionally i switch it to 35 protein, 40 carb, 25 fat for a break). good luck,
    [/quote]
    Thanks. I did it!