Running belts, bags, etc. What do you use?

Options
Just curious on what everyone uses to keep their hands free during running. I need my water, keys and cell phone, but I can't stand to have anything in my hands. I do have a cell phone band that goes around my arm but that is annoying if I need to look at my phone or skip a song etc (hard to get to). For now I am forfeiting water because I don't want to hold it. Of course, I just hold my keys. What works best for you, do you use a fanny pack or some other method? I tried the drawstring bags that go around your shoulders and hang on your back but those are annoying when you start to run; I cannot take the flopping. I'm leaning towards a fanny pack but wanted to see what everyone else is doing first.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    "Fanny pack"... giggle...(sorry, I had to get that out first... ask an Aussie or a Brit if you don't know why I'm giggling).

OK, now I'll get sensible!

For shorter runs (under an hour) I don't carry water, so I usually just take my phone in my back pocket (I deliberately seek out running pants with a zipped back pocket for my phone). If I need to carry keys or cash on shorter runs I use an SPI Belt. I don't like this for my phone though, as I find the phone is too heavy and jiggles around.

For longer runs (over an hour) I have a Nathan Triangle waist belt - this holds a 600ml water bottle and has a small zipped pocket that can fit a card or some cash and a couple of gels.

If I keep running long distance I will probably get a Nathan Fuel Belt (or something similar) that holds a couple of smaller water bottles, then I can take my own sports drink and won't have to carry gels.

(Edited because the bizarre censorship on this site can't cope with the word SNlGGER - meaning "giggle".)

Hey, that's the one I have too (below).
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I use a water fanny pack:
    temporary-4.jpg

And an armband for my cell phone. AND a towel tied to my wrist with a large hair elastic to wipe the sweat from my brow. I'm all trussed up!

The fanny pack isn't truly a fanny pack- it sits high around my natural waist, so the water is in the small of my back. It doesn't bounce around.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I don't wear anything on runs under five miles or so. Above that, I wear my Nathan belt which has two 10oz bottles for water and a pouch large enough for a cell phone. It also has an inner pocket inside the pouch that velcros closed as well as a small pocket on the outside of the pouch as well.

I normally have plenty of water left, even after runs of 12-13 miles from the two bottles. I put my keys in the inner pocket and my Clif Shot Blocks in the main pouch. (I keep my phone in my pocket because sometimes I like to take it out and check my pace on my RunKeeper app and it's easier from my pocket.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use a Fuelbelt. It has two water bottles and two pouches. You can buy add more bottles and pouches as needed.
    I'm looking for something I can carry for short runs because I have to keep my inhaler with me. It's too hot, even at 5am to run without water.
  • alsaxon
    alsaxon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • alsaxon
    alsaxon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    temporary-4.jpg

And an armband for my cell phone. AND a towel tied to my wrist with a large hair elastic to wipe the sweat from my brow. I'm all trussed up!

The fanny pack isn't truly a fanny pack- it sits high around my natural waist, so the water is in the small of my back. It doesn't bounce around.

This is exactly the bag I was looking at. I think I'll buy it since you like it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    temporary-4.jpg

This is exactly the bag I was looking at. I think I'll buy it since you like it.
    Just FYI- the pocket is really small- it certainly wouldn't fit my cell phone. It fits a key, a gu packet, and a couple dollar bills- tightly. There's a separate little tab thing to put ID info on. you might need an add-on pocket for a cell phone if you don't use an armband.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    "Fanny pack"... giggle...(sorry, I had to get that out first... ask an Aussie or a Brit if you don't know why I'm giggling).
    Or South African - one of my best friends is from Cape Town, and whenever I said the word she would gasp! LOL I had to train myself to not say it, but it was tough because our kids were little and I would tell them to "sit down on your fanny" all the time. :tongue: Such an innocent word for us!

As for carrying stuff when I run - I use an armband for my phone. I don't usually need to get at it once I start, I have a running playlist and don't need to skip songs. My Runkeepr app gives me audible updates on my time, distance and pace, so no need to look. I don't need to carry keys since I am able to run close to home and can get in the house with a code for my garage door, but the times I drive somewhere for a trail run, I usually stick my key behind my phone in the armband, or I have a small belt, the Nathan Shadow Pack (which was also really great at Disneyland for holding credit cards, ID, cash, and my phone!). If it's a long run or really hot out, I take my Runners World Cruising Bottle http://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-RW5698YE-Cruising-Bottle/dp/B003ZYJTGY It has a strap and fits right in my hand so I don't even have to grip it. It only holds 12oz and I usually only fill it half full, plenty for a few sips and to just wet my mouth, or dump on my head if needed. It also has a zip pocket on it for stashing keys. Only other thing I always take is my Road ID which has all my info and emergency contact numbers on it if something were to happen & I couldn't speak for myself.

I found my armband, water bottle and the belt at TJ Maxx, each was under $10. I have seen the Nathan water bottle belts there as well for a lot less than regular retail.