Strength training

Options
Hi everyone,

I am now getting closer to my goal weight and would like to started adding strength training into my exercise but not really sure where to start. I have a gym membership and currently just circle the weight machine but im sure there is a more effective way to do this.
I have heard of The new rules of weight lifting for women, but i live in Denmark so its not easy to get my hands on it and i dont have a lot of money to spend on getting it.

Any advice anyone can give me or any good websites i can use would be much appreciated!!

Thanks for all your help and support :D

Replies

• phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    Congrats on your success! I would start with asking some of the trainers at your gym. They can give you simple body weight exercises to start with, as well as tips on good form and preventing injury. As for websites, I like to look at magazine sites- fitnessmagazine.com, shape.com, etc have tons of work out ideas for when you want to change it up. I hope this helps!
  • melindenmark
    melindenmark Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks i will looking into those 2 websites. I will speak to the trainers at my gym, im nervous to do it as i will speak to them in danish (only lived here 2 years so im not great :P) but i just need to get over that and do it!
  • phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    Aaw yeah, I can relate to being in a strange place and afraid of being misunderstood, but I bet they'll be plenty patient with you. It's their job to teach, after all!
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    look up strong lifts 5x5 on the internet
  • melindenmark
    Options

dumb question but when i looked at this, it was all about men (just had a quick look) does it work for women to? any changes you made to make it more suited for women?
  • lisa28115
    Options
    women do it also

you just start at the weight you can lift and move up as you can
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options

dumb question but when i looked at this, it was all about men (just had a quick look) does it work for women to? any changes you made to make it more suited for women?

Yes it does work for women! Women dont have to train differently than men.
    I started out doing New rules of weighttlifting for women in december and just 2 weeks ago switched to 5x5, I like it much better (faster workout, less complicated and so on)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    Here's the MFP group :smile:
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I ran across this website one day and thought it was pretty neat. Hope you find it helpful and good luck!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lisa13.htm
  • lisa28115
    Options
    Google Jamie Eason's Livefit program. It's free and everything from nutrition to workouts are mapped out for you. You can use it as a loose guide to start and get your feet wet. It's a good program!

you can look at this ...but I like the strong lifts also
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a book that's probably the single best information resource about strength training that you will ever hope to find, and outlines a program in it that is quite similar to StrongLifts (tho IMO a bit better).
  • melindenmark
    Options
    Thanks everyone, i will check out all the things you have suggested. I have also made a appointment to talk to a PT on Wednesday next week so it will be good to go with some ideas of what im looking for :D