Insane co-workers

Options
Need some advice:

I have started set day fasting and yesterday, a fasting day, a girl here at the office (probably 300+ lb) literally was SHOUTING at me about how stupid it is and how I'm young and how if she were my size, she'd eat anything she wanted. It was so offensive. I really didn't know what to day so I just turned away from her and put my headphones on. By that time she had the whole department riled up. Now they're treating me weird! Today is an "eating" day and they're all poking fun at me about how it must feel nice to be eating and "look, Helen's normal today," etc.

I don't think any of what they said was meant with good intention, it was pretty harsh.

I guess it's my fault for even mentioning it in private to my friend. Obviously I should have known these nosy broads would eavesdrop.

I tried to explain that the fasting was as process for me to become reacquainted with the honest feeling of hunger, and I likened it to draining a battery all the way to empty in order for it to hold a better charge, but they just talked over me. I became a soapbox for them to stand on.

I really have no desire to alienate myself from my coworkers but I also have no desire to be abused.

What do you guys do when people say really stupid things to you about your journey?

Replies

• titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sucess is usually the best revenge. Use this as motivation to stick to your guns and watch their jaws drop as you shrink before their eyes. :)
  • leannehoggdodd
    Options
    mmm well you must do what works for you but not eatinf anything in a day is not good for you - maybe they are worried about your diet?

By her saying if she was your size she would mean anything would indicate some kind of compliment and your crazy no food days are perhaps un necessary?

Your diet is up to you and perhaps you should keep it to yourself but hobestly if one of my friends wad doing what your doing I would probibly tell them off too......

Its just not healthy darl - detoxing is fine but starving youself is not.
  • BrazenHarpy
    BrazenHarpy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Being mean to you is a way for them to keep from reflecting on what's holding them back from making similar commitments. It's way easier to berate someone for trying to be healthy than it is to make a lifestyle change :P.

Personally, I'd just ignore it. You're doing what you think is best for your body, and your success will speak for itself.
  • helen0616
    Options
    mmm well you must do what works for you but not eatinf anything in a day is not good for you - maybe they are worried about your diet?

By her saying if she was your size she would mean anything would indicate some kind of compliment and your crazy no food days are perhaps un necessary?

Your diet is up to you and perhaps you should keep it to yourself but hobestly if one of my friends wad doing what your doing I would probibly tell them off too......

Its just not healthy darl - detoxing is fine but starving youself is not.

I did not "not eat." Set day fasting (Google it) involves 500ish calories on your fasting days of non-processed, preferably liquid, intake. Then on your feeding days, you replenish. It teaches self-control and reminds us that most of what we feel throughout the day is not really hunger but boredom or craving.

I am a size 14. I am not thin, I am overweight, and I do need to lose weight.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, but I am lucky enough to have coworkers who support my choices. If they have that much of a problem you should sit them all down individually if you have to a spell it out for them. They are only mad and think you are doing something horrible until it works and they see a difference and then they will be tripping over each other to get your advice on doing the exact same thing. Do what YOU want to do and sit back and enjoy them eating their words later on.
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's time for a new job!
  • leannehoggdodd
    Options
    Hey sorry didnt mean to offend you I have never heard of fasting thought it meant not eating! In that case carry on hun and tell your work buddies to piss off!

They probs jealous seeing you make a proper effort whilst they carry on getting bigger!

X
  • helen0616
    Options
    Hey sorry didnt mean to offend you I have never heard of fasting thought it meant not eating! In that case carry on hun and tell your work buddies to piss off!

They probs jealous seeing you make a proper effort whilst they carry on getting bigger!

X

All is well.
  • helen0616
    Options
    Today is fasting again - I think I will just not mention it. At all. To anyone. : )
    Have a great Friday everybody!!!!
  • CupcakeHarpy
    CupcakeHarpy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I kinda see where you are coming from. I just generally don't like it when someone comments on what I'm eating. I had a salad once and I ate it with dressing and someone said "doesn't that defeat the purpose?". I was mad because at that time I wasn't even watching what I was eating. So... since I'm fat, I wouldn't enjoy eating a salad? If I eat salad, then I must be on a diet and therefore stupid for putting dressing on it? I was taught at a young age to keep my eyes on my own plate. I wish others had the same manners. I don't do any type of fasting, but it doesn't mean that I wouldn't try it one day. I don't do low fat, but it might work for others. To each his own.