Help! Not doing very good!

Options
I have been keeping under the 1200 calories and exercisig daily, but my weightis going up and down within 2 lbs. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• traceyb68
    traceyb68 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I cant help very much as I do the same - youre not alone. On 1700 a day a 500 cal deficet plus excercise. Ill certainly offer support x
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating strength training in your workout. It gave me a kick up the backside as far as weight loss is concerned.
  • beth0672
    beth0672 Posts: 37
    Options
    You probably aren't getting enough to eat. Try eating a bit more and see what happens. MFP already calculates a deficit into the number they give you to eat.
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    Been there. I was stuck for a little while, too. I upped my calorie intake to 1500 and within a couple of days started losing again.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Nobody said to keep under 1200 cals.
    You dont know what you are doing.

This diet is destined to either fail or last forever.

Read this and PM if you have any Qs.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Hayleighs_mom
    Options
    Make sure your only weighing yourself once a week, (your weight fluxuates daily a few pounds). Have fun with your exercise, change it up, that way your working out different parts of the body each day. Make sure your eating a minimum of 1200 calories even after workouts (your body needs that much to fuel itself). If you are eating back your calories, I recommend purchasing either a fitbit or an hrm, because the burned calories on MFP are usually high estimates. Watch your sodium intake (I realized that was one of my huge problems). Try to eat less prepackaged meals (if your eating those). Make sure your having small, healthy snacks throughout the day. Hopefully some of that helps! :) Just be patient, unfortunately its a long process.
  • kirstyl1979
    Options
    Problem will be due to the keeping under the 1200 - you do need to eat to lose weight - if you are not eating enough then your metabilism becomes slow and stops burning of the calories becuase you are under nourished, perhaps try eating a bit more and aim for 1400 calories, that would work or at the very least make sure you eat all 1200 calories you are supposed to.

Excercise obviously a good help too although I haven't been doing any - just watching what I eat :-) good luck
  • jerseyjenus
    jerseyjenus Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was stuck on for a while and for two days upped my calories and I started to drink lots of water. I moved from 8 cups to 12 cups. Also, I found whenever I start a new workout routine my body likes to hold on the pounds. Then in a week or two it will start moving down again. Should open your dairy, so people can give you advice. It might be you have too much sodium in your diet.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    MFP had my cals set at 1400. For me that's too low. Why start with something I can't accomplish. I've played with the numbers and am now at 1610 - I exercise maybe 4 days a week and eat my exercise cals and am still losing weight. I'd venture a guess you're not eating enough. :bigsmile:
  • cwells8587
    Options
    I was the same way for a week or two, finally after sticking with 1200 calories a day and no less it finally started to work. Make sure you stick to it and give it time, you will see improvement soon, and also make sure to get at least 1200 a day, in the beginning I stuck to less than 1200 bc I thought I would lose it faster but it actually put my body into starvation mode. Once I started making sure I got at least 1200 in a day then it started to fall off easier, good luck!
  • AnitaS71
    AnitaS71 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of green leafy vegetables and drink tons of water. It helps eliminate 2 of the factors of major weight fluctuation, AND it's good for you! :-)
  • nymami
    nymami Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i think you are not eating enough. only weigh yourself once a week around the same time and add some strength training. i hope this helps.
  • jody2502
    Options
    Eat 1200 not under , drink plenty of water and measure yourself not weigh as it changes too much and only stresses you out.
  • 57silverfox
    57silverfox Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    nothing in the end it well work out just do a little cardo and have a little patence
  • deekod
    deekod Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Go vegan! I never thought it would be so enjoyable and also keeps me full of energy, sine I started vegan eating I have lost loads on just a few weeks!.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    You're always going to fluxuate, I do. For sanity sake, I always count the lowest number as my weight and only report it when it moves down. If you working hard, and I think you are, it will continue to move down. Strength training is a definate must, it will kick up your metabolism, define the muscles and make you feel amazing. Eat clean and satisfy yourself with a little something something that keeps the binges off and you'll see more results. I also never eat past 4pm...but that is me.

Good luck.
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It's been repeated above over 1200. My wife's goal was 1200, she was fluctuating in weight as well not losing. We bumped it up to 1500 now has been a steady 1lb a week for last month. Watch your sodium, hit your macros protien/fat/carbs. We all stall for weeks at a time, try adding in some resistance training really makes a difference. New rules of Lifting for Women is a great source of info.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Nobody said to keep under 1200 cals.
    You dont know what you are doing.

This diet is destined to either fail or last forever.

Read this and PM if you have any Qs.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This. Just do this.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Go vegan! I never thought it would be so enjoyable and also keeps me full of energy, sine I started vegan eating I have lost loads on just a few weeks!.

Food choice really has nothing to do with weight loss TBH.

Eating ANYTHING at a deficit will result in weight loss.
    I'm thinking shes just not nourished at all.
  • crazygracee
    crazygracee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Weight yourself once a week only, same time every week if possible. This gives you a better idea of your weight journey.

Also, make sure you have the right Calorie target - everyone is different. Your 1200 calories per day may not be enough for your body hence it is going into what we call "starvation" mode. When we starve, our body stores a high percentage of our food as "fat" and is harder to burn off. Our body needs this much to function properly.

But if we eat within / slightly over our target, the calories can easily be burned off by exercising. Most calorie target will mean a 1lb lost per week. You can check this by clicking on "My Home" then GOAL and changing goals - try to choose the guided goal first and see what your recommended calorie target is and how much weight you will lose a week for this. If you want to lose slightly more, just manually change your calorie target within a healthy limit.

Add exercise to this and you will be guaranteed more weight loss than the above.

My guided goal is 1200 calories (I'm 5ft short hence less cals!), which gives me 0.9lbs lost in 1 week. So I changed this to 1125 calories to give me a 1.1 lb lost per week. I then try to exercise and burn off calories by exercising at least 3x per week and so far I have been successful in burning off an average of 2 lbs per week with this approach. This approach may not be for you, so try and find what makes you happy and not hungry at the same time. I like to have a slow gradual weight loss (7-8 lbs a week is my target) so as not to jeopardise my health. By doing this, I can also ensure I can eat what I want from time to time (a treat a week is what I call it!) or ensure I enjoy family time, special events etc without constantly checking my calorie intake.

Watch your salt as well as too much salt retains water weight in our body which normally leads to "plateau" weight loss stage. If you hit this stage, a day of detox and drinking lots and lots of water normally helps. I try to detox 1-2x a month by attending sauna.

Best of luck!

Grace