chilren and sharing your food

Options
This is a big problem with me.. I have 8 children.. and if i have something different on my plate or eat at a different time then they do.. and they see me eating.. they want bites of my food... of course this isnt so much the older ones.. but the younger ones ecpecially with the 2 year old.. dont want to tell him no.. one he would wonder why all of a sudden mommy doenst want to share with me.. 2 they do try new things.. this way... 3 .. i dont want them to learn to be greedy for food...

but the problem is.. i measure my food.. and if i dont eat them.. and they take bites.. i dont get my calories ... and i dont know exactly how much i have consumed!./... if i put extra on my plate.. thats to tempting for me!!!1

what do i do????/

Replies

• tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    maybe make a little bit extra, but don't put it on your plate. Then if they want some they can still try it. :flowerforyou:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    yea! Make extra of what you are eating and put in on a different plate on the table. Calling it the sharing plate or whatever and tell your kids you made it expecially for them to try!
  • yessie75
    yessie75 Posts: 152
    Options
    first of all, WOW! 8 children! what a blessing! I agree with the sharing plate idea. They're still trying your food but not taking it from your plate. My problem is I want to eat my 2 year old's left overs!
  • clheide
    clheide Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with what's been said. And my kids know by now if they ask me for a bite of something on my plate, I will tell them no. It's already been measured and logged and it's mine! There's usually extra, so I just tell them to go get their own!

=) charity
  • sftbutterflykiss
    sftbutterflykiss Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    WOW.. didnt expect all the quick responses.. yes.. I have thought about that... its really not all the older children.. its the younger 2 the now 5 and almost 2 year old.. the 5 year old.. is getting better..

its hard to tell the 2 year old.. "its mine" because he is already doing that with his toys..trying to teach him to share..lol.. but I will try to make a bite or two extra for him.. when i make something

thank you so much for your responses.. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I usually have the opposite problem. Ceasing the consuming of my childrens left-overs was one of the first changes I made. I either save it for later, or toss it. But don't eat it.

I have a two year too. Just be firm with him, he has to start learning sometime.
  • loriguegel
    Options
    You could always ask them if they'd like to try what your going to have, ahead of time. That way you don't have the temptation to eat the extra you made, in case they don't ask for any. If they say "No thank you Mommy" they don't want any, or they're not hungry, but yet still ask when your sitting eating your meal, you let them know that you gave them a chance, and now the answer is no.
  • jandie
    jandie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I can understand not wanting to use the word "mine" What about saying "this is Mommy's" and offering the little ones fruit or a spoonful of peanut butter? You aren't being greedy with your food, just setting boundaries.

Having said that, I do love the sharing plate idea! :flowerforyou:

297898.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter