Don't Know How to Move from Weight Loss to Muscle Building

Options
Help! Any advice is appreciated! I am thinking about changing my focus from weight loss to building muscle definition. I have never done this before and I don't know how. There are so many different schools of thought, it seems, which has left me confused. Some say cardio, while others say no cardio. Some say increase calories to build, while I still have some weight to lose, so I don't really want to add calories. I've also read that the weights should be so heavy that I can do no more than 8 reps in a set and twice a week.

Where do I start?

I am 5'7", 46, female and about 10 pounds from my goal weight.

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Don;t get too confused. This isn't rocket science. :wink:

Get on a program, like New Rules of Lifting for Women, and follow it. There is cardio in there. Cardio isn't going to kill you...some people on here tend to be very rigid with their opinions.

Here's an easy way to think about it - lift weights 3x a week, do cardio 2-3x a week (HIIT is great for burning fat and saves you from boredom), and eat to support the routine, so another 2-300 calories a day on the days you workout, on top of your regular maintenance calories. Give it 4-6 months and you will see good results.
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I personally don't do cardio when in a muscle-building phase. You should take in 100-200 Calories above maintenance to build muscle. Some say you can't both lose fat and gain muscle but I'm giving this a shot. As far as rep ranges, I think the important thing is to stress out your muscles enough so that they grow, i.e. don't stop at 8 reps if you haven't even felt the burn yet.

At any rate, your mileage may vary since all of our bodies are different. Perhaps try bodybuilding.com and choose a plan that works for you. Here's a link:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan-muscle-building-over-40-female.html

Good luck!
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested in this as well. I've heard New Rules of Lifting for Women and 5x5 are good programs.

My problem is that I'm worried I'm going to have a hard time eating more calories, since it seems counter intuitive. I understand the basis behind it, I'm just worried that I'll start gaining fat, which of course is the opposite of what we want to do.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Help! Any advice is appreciated! I am thinking about changing my focus from weight loss to building muscle definition. I have never done this before and I don't know how. There are so many different schools of thought, it seems, which has left me confused. Some say cardio, while others say no cardio. Some say increase calories to build, while I still have some weight to lose, so I don't really want to add calories. I've also read that the weights should be so heavy that I can do no more than 8 reps in a set and twice a week.

Where do I start?

Pick a goal, fat loss or muscle building. If it's fat loss maintain a consistent caloric deficit, if it's muscle building maintain a consistent caloric surplus and lift heavy things. Either way, it'd prob be a good idea to incorporate a solid resistance training routine into your exercise.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    So, it sounds like I can't build and lose at the same time. :-( Bummer
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

Where do I start?

Pick a goal, fat loss or muscle building. If it's fat loss maintain a consistent caloric deficit, if it's muscle building maintain a consistent caloric surplus and lift heavy things. Either way, it'd prob be a good idea to incorporate a solid resistance training routine into your exercise.

This is great advice.

Personally, I focused on getting to my goal weight first. I had a small calorie deficit and still strength trained (heavy weights) but my main focus was maintaining muscle while losing fat.

Last year after I reached my goal weight I decided to add muscle. I ate in a surplus, continue lifting heavy and gained weight (fat and muscle) It's pretty much impossible to gain muscle without some fat as well, but then that's what cutting is for after: to cut body fat while maintaining muscle.

Cardio is a personal choice. It's not necessary but you might choose to do it either for fun, or to maintain cardiovascular health. I am quite active in daily life so fitness wasn't a problem. I also hated traditional cardio so I never did any. The main issue with doing cardio while adding muscle, is that people don't eat enough to account for the extra calorie burn, so they never end up gaining any.

Good luck!
  • TheTrimTim
    TheTrimTim Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too.

For me, I eat my calorie target (2000 cal/day) but I don't eat my cardio calories, which people tell me I should be doing.. The problem is that I just feel so full eating the 6-7 meals/snacks per day that I eat anyway.

I'd also appreciate tips and likeminded friends.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    You can't "build muscle" at the same time as losing fat per se, but you can start strength training while you are in a deficit (still losing) and still continue to look better. That is what I have done to lose 12 pounds so far. LIft heavy, eat near maintenance, some cardio when I feel like it. I have a lot more muscle definition but I haven't actually added muscle.
  • nomoreFA
    nomoreFA Posts: 40
    Options
    Years ago I lost 70 lbs by dieting alone. I didn't exercise at all. When I got to my goal weight ( it took me 9 months) I started working out a lot. I ran 20 miles a week and was lifting weights 3x a week. The problem is I started eating junk food again. I didn't gain the weight back right away, but after tearing the tendon in my quad muscle I gained 25 lbs. So now I am looking for ways to exercise without using my knee and still lose weight.

Thanks for posting this topic. I am interested to see how people respond to it.