Too much protein?

Options
Okay I have a question. I'm sure people have asked it before, but I just want a direct answer. I seem to always go over my protein allotment, even after I've entered my workouts! Some people say they find it difficult to hit their protein level, but I seem to never have that problem. I'm a pretty healthy eater, and eat lots of greek yogurt, pb, and chicken. Should I cut back on it a little?

Replies

• csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Help me! I need to eat more protein. What do you eat? Is your diary open?
  • sharkfrenzy
    Options
    No, but ill open it so you can take a look!
  • barbcouperus
    barbcouperus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    personally I think the protein levels MFP gives are way too low...the kinds of protein you're eating are lean, so I think it's fine to go over the amount. I think the numbers that you really need to pay attention to are the sugars and sodium...not protein, especially when you're getting in the lean forms that you are. You need the protein to repair your muscles and keep you fuller longer etc.
  • Barberini
    Barberini Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    People have their diaries set to different levels, so at 15% (the MFP default) it would be easy to hit your target, but at 40-50% it is hard. It depends what your diary is set at, and what your goals are, you can adjust this in the goals settings. I am doing p90x so I want a lot of protein in my diet. I have 3 protein shakes a day and still don't reach my target of 50%.
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You should look thru some topics on protein to figure out how much you ACTUALLY need. MFP is very low, my goal for protein is only about 60 grams, but I calculated that I need about 170 grams for my body weight. This is really hard, even with shakes.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Going over with Lean Protein is not a bad thing. As stated above, feel free to adjust the amt in settings.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    the protein goals in MFP are set too low. My doctor recommends a min. of 60 grams to prevent hair loss and maintain muscle mass while losing weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can change your settings to increase your protein goal, otherwise you MFP's recommendation as a minimum 15% of total calories is pretty low. I like to get 25-30%, up to double the MFP recommendation.
  • Csurviver
    Csurviver Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was going to say 65g is on the Livestrong website. I asked my doctor since I only have one kidney now and I am suppose to watch my protein intake. You know I never really got a straight number from my MD or my kidney doctor So I have been researching this also. I have been sticking to 60 to 65g and my labs are just fine!
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    No stress going over your protein target. It's more a minimun to be reached, than a maximum to stay under ;)
    All in moderation of course, but unless you're way over 100g a day, I wouldn't think of it as a problem.

Edit: Unless you have any medical problem of course, but that you would know better than us :)
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I try to have at least 100 grams of protein a day-- and I also find that I keep my hunger in check when my carbs and protein grams are very close in number. I don't worry too much about the fat, because I'm getting it from healthy sources, but it's usually around half of those numbers. I like more of a 40/30/30 balance, with protein being the highest.

That's also when I have the best weight loss.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I eat six meals a day and each one includes protein.

I limit my pb, I use that for my healthy fat rather than a source of protein but I do not eat it everyday.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I was told to double my protein goal every day. And I don't even lift weights or anything. Troll my diary. I'm still losing weight like it's going out of style, so I think you're fine.

Also, by increasing my protein, I don't eat nearly as may carbs, and go *slightly* over on my fat percentage. It is just how I have found my body to work best. I have never been really heavy into carbs, and I try to make sure it is healthy fat.

I'm sure someone can tell you about the percentages rule for fat, carbs, and protein.

Long story short, don't worry about protein as long as you are under on your carbs OR fat. :flowerforyou:
  • sharkfrenzy
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate your feedback. I thought I was doing all right, but just needed a little reassurance :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    But you're a shark frenzy! There's no such thing as too much protein for you!
  • sharkfrenzy
    Options
    But you're a shark frenzy! There's no such thing as too much protein for you!

Haha clever. My obsession with sharks should totally follow me into my daily eating habits...ha

And this may be a silly question...but I haven't explored this site to its full extent yet...and I don't know how to change my food settings (to increase protein levels). Someone wanna help me out? :)
  • start121
    start121 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into this very recently for a lot of different reasons, but as some people were saying earlier you can change the % of your enery coming from protein. If you search you can find the recommendation to calculate exactly how much protein you should be having - because of my activity level for me it's 1.2g/kg of lean tissue. If I remember correctly I think for the average person it was less than a gram/kg of lean tissue. So if you are really curious about how much is too much for you, check that out :-)
  • annelleh
    annelleh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found this calculator on the Kashi website when I was surfing the web earlier today. It does indicate that the default settings based on your calories per day on MFP under Goals, may need to be manually adjusted up. http://www.kashi.com/articles/231
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Unless you're at risk for certain health issues you should be fine with your healthy choices. However, if you have an issue liek kidney stones a doctor may require a lower amount of animal protein.

I'd say to eat what makes you feel good and gives you results. Use your common sense, because so far it seems to be working for you!
  • sharkfrenzy
    Options
    I found this calculator on the Kashi website when I was surfing the web earlier today. It does indicate that the default settings based on your calories per day on MFP under Goals, may need to be manually adjusted up. http://www.kashi.com/articles/231

Funny thing is, I just found the same one about 20 minutes ago!