Whey Protein

Options
Hi everyone, I have a question about Whey Protein and Protein shakes in general. I notice that a lot of people are drinking these after workouts. I haven't been and I'm curious of the benefits of doing this. I run on average 16-20 miles per week, do spinning, and CrossFit workouts weekly as well. I'm at my goal weight (sometimes below sometimes above) and I'm trianing for a half marathon in September.

I guess I'm just looking for feedback on the protein shakes and what the benefit is.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'll sometimes have one after a particularly strenuous workout; I find that I'll have less soreness the next day. Plus, when money is tight and I can't afford my usual protein sources, it helps me get in the protein without throwing off my other macros.
  • El_guapo22
    El_guapo22 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    The reason to drink a protein shake after a workout is because after training especially weight training there is an anabolic window of about 30 to 60 minutes. In that window your body is primed to rebuild muscle damage and begin the process of repair the damage you have done to your body. I would think that after your crossfit workout that would be the perfect opportunity to drink a shake.

The fact that people drink whey after is not only because it's a fast digesting protein and gets into your system quicker it's mainly to hit the time window and build muscle. Whey is not better than whole food but most people can't get the 40ish grams of protein that quickly after a workout. It's a convince thing I guess. at least for me it is.

Hope that helps not an expert by any means but just some information.
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You don't have to if you don't want to; I do so because it is an easy way to get some protein in after a work out, and ... I like them.
  • happyonetwentyfive
    happyonetwentyfive Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The dr. told me to get Whey To Go. I'm 70 yrs. and, basically, in good health. Just started on mfp to lose about 15 lbs and improve overall strength. Any advice with Whey To Go, etc.?
  • happyonetwentyfive
    happyonetwentyfive Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oops! I posted the previous comment re Whey To Go under my mfp - instead of my hubby's! It's his question.
  • Barberini
    Barberini Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The reason to drink a protein shake after a workout is because after training especially weight training there is an anabolic window of about 30 to 60 minutes. In that window your body is primed to rebuild muscle damage and begin the process of repair the damage you have done to your body. I would think that after your crossfit workout that would be the perfect opportunity to drink a shake.

The fact that people drink whey after is not only because it's a fast digesting protein and gets into your system quicker it's mainly to hit the time window and build muscle. Whey is not better than whole food but most people can't get the 40ish grams of protein that quickly after a workout. It's a convince thing I guess. at least for me it is.

This ^^^, plus it helps me 1) stay full, and 2) get a better macronutrient split for my goals.
  • tuckerbutter
    Options
    It also helps the muscles not be so sore the next day. This combined with stretching helps a lot for this.
  • cardiolvr
    cardiolvr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Trainer told me that you should always refuel with protein after a workout that is strenuous...more than an hour. So, if I just do a 45 minute cycle class I don't but if I do Cycle and then Body pump, I do. Just be careful with the calories if you are doing shakes at the gym, I usually get the smallest and get one with about 25g protein. I have heard your body cannot absorb more than 30g at a time.
  • El_guapo22
    El_guapo22 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    True you can have more protein that you can't digest but I think it's a bit more than 25. But most proteins are blends which mean they will be obsorbed at different rates. For instance you'll have whey which is fast egg or soy proteins and cassien protein which is slow digesting all in one powder. So most powders will keep your digesting for a few hours. Need to check labels.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

False. Nutrient timing does not matter. Protein shakes are not required or counterproductive. See this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131821473&p=678321011&viewfull=1#post678321011 and in relation this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123915821
  • billyh333
    billyh333 Posts: 213
    Options
    You can get some really great whey protien cheap.2 pounds of super advanced whey from Walmart its made by body fortress and also sixstar nutrition those are some of the top companies 14-18 bucks
  • billyh333
    billyh333 Posts: 213
    Options
    very true it was always believed that you should take protien in your golden hr but it can't be proven that it helps as long as you get your calories in that day weather its in a 12 hr window or even 6 hr window

False. Nutrient timing does not matter. Protein shakes are not required or counterproductive. See this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131821473&p=678321011&viewfull=1#post678321011 and in relation this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123915821
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options

Agreed. Nutrient timing is just another BS tactic supplement companies use to get you to buy their products.

Whey protein is the fastest digesting protein, yes. But its still protein. Whey digests at a rate of 10 grams per hour (casein even longer). So much for getting all 40g of that shake within your "anabolic window" of one hour.

OP - whey and other protein shakes are great for helping you meet the protein requirements of your diet. Whey is a high quality protein supplement that can supplement or replace a meal occasionally. It will help your muscles recover quicker from strenuous exercise, just as any healthy nutritious food would.

Getting your nutrients from food is preferred, but whey and other nutritional shakes can help you out in a pinch in case you dont have time to prep a full meal.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Agreed. Nutrient timing is just another BS tactic supplement companies use to get you to buy their products.

Whey protein is the fastest digesting protein, yes. But its still protein. Whey digests at a rate of 10 grams per hour (casein even longer). So much for getting all 40g of that shake within your "anabolic window" of one hour.

OP - whey and other protein shakes are great for helping you meet the protein requirements of your diet. Whey is a high quality protein supplement that can supplement or replace a meal occasionally. It will help your muscles recover quicker from strenuous exercise, just as any healthy nutritious food would.

Getting your nutrients from food is preferred, but whey and other nutritional shakes can help you out in a pinch in case you dont have time to prep a full meal.

Moar trooth
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I add it to my smoothies to make me feel fuller especially when I'm pinched for time before a workout. I like the whey protein the best and get a $50 container of it once a year, but I've gotten smaller ones a few times over the year which have cost less. And that way, you get to try more flavors and brands. I've had soy and spirulina too.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I use hemp protein instead of whey, mostly just to make sure that I hit my protein for the day. Also, I add fresh fruit and yogurt to mine because that makes it yummy. :happy:
  • benne1992
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!