How to break the habit of snacking at night?!

Options
I can be very good during the day and only eat selected things and selected portions, but once night time rolls around I can't help but want to snack!! I hate it and I know this is how I pack on most of the pounds... any suggestions?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Make it part of your plan. Save up calories and have planned snacks for evening.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Make it part of your plan. Save up calories and have planned snacks for evening.

This is what I do. I usually make a bowl of popcorn, or have a 100 calorie snack pack, or have a square of dark chocolate. This way I look forward to it.
  • alisonlk
    alisonlk Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I do the same. I've also tried to keep unhealthy snacks out of the house to help avoid temptation.
  • georgeaj2000
    georgeaj2000 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

A very good solution, plan your snacks in advance, in fact planning all meals is a very successful method for weight loss
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've found that waiting an extra hour to eat dinner and then getting ready for bed a bit early helps. That minimizes the time I'm not eating so I don't get hungry just sitting around watching TV. I'll brush my teeth and get in bed to read or watch a show instead of staying downstairs near the kitchen. The later I stay up, the more likely I'll snack.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Change what you're eating at night?

Seriously, this was a big down-fall for me and I just decided to give in to it. Instead of randomly snacking, I started to plan my day for snacks at night (cut some calories off each meal and save 'em for the evening). I then used those calories on foods that could be "snacked out" across an evening in small portions. Then I track those.

Within your calories and macros, not time of day, is what matters most.
  • amandatomicbomb
    Options
    thank you everyone for your ideas!!! they were great!! i'll keep them all in mind :)
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Planning snacks has helped me some, but one of the biggest things that has helped me was learning to knit (don't laugh). Seriously, I had a BAD habit of munching all kinds of crap in front of the tv for at least an hour most evenings. Since I took up knitting, my hands are occupied, so I physically can't eat while I'm sitting there. I can still watch my tv in the evenings and not snack. Plus, I've made a bunch of knitted stuff :-)

Even if it's not knitting, maybe try to find something to occupy your hands.