Question about the Fitbit

Options
Hello everyone. Before I purchase the Fitbit...I have a question. I scoured the entire Fitbit website, but couldn't find my answer. I know that the Fitbit is a pedometer and can track a lot of things, such as steps taken, stairs climbed, minutes slept, etc. But...can it track calories burned by weight lifting? Is it also a heart rate monitor? I need a device that will tell me how many calories I burned during the times that I lift weights.

Thank you for helping me out with this...

Jin

Replies

• jjtyrrell31
    Options
    I just bought one recently and I am still getting used to it. It is not a heart rate monitor, so you may want to consider another device if that is important to you. Good luck!
  • cubanken
    cubanken Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was reading up on it and I dont see where it would keep track of that. That's why I didnt get one. It has accelerometers in it similiar to any new smartphone (android or iphone), so if it does, and you have a smart phone you could find an app I bet and save some $$$
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    1.But...can it track calories burned by weight lifting?
    2.Is it also a heart rate monitor? I need a device that will tell me how many calories I burned during the times that I lift weights.

Jin

1. kind of...you can record an activity in your account, but the device itself won't track
    2. not a heartrate monitor
  • rachelroma
    rachelroma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi... it's not a heart rate monitor. While you can manually enter activities during which time it will estimate calories burned and adjust your step count, it gives an estimated number of calories burned during a specific activity (not taking into account heart rate). I love my fitbit, but if you're looking for something with a heart rate monitor, fitbit isn't it.
  • HotDog1969
    HotDog1969 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Jin, I have a fitbit and I love it but it sounds like you would be better off with a standard HRM. The fitbit really is for increasing and monitoring your activity levels; mainly walking and running and it has no way of monitoring your heart rate. It does guess at calories burned based on the amount of effort and speed you are walking but it will not register things like weight lifting, cycling etc as they are not the right type of movements.

I have a fitbit and an HRM to cover all bases.
  • lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's not :ohwell: I recently ruined my fitbit by stupidly jumping in a pool while wearing it :noway: It is not waterproof! And the rice trick didn't work for me :( Good luck! Be sure it's something you really want before investing in it.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    It is not a heart rate monitor.
    Most likely will not be accurate during weightlifting sessions as you are not taking many steps.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not a heart rate monitor.

It probably isn't very accurate during strength training sessions, although I still use mine during my sessions because I do interval training with cardio in between each set.

That being said, I LOVE my FitBit!!
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I recommend a HRM I have the Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor (Pink/Purple) that you can get on Amazon for $65, if you plan to really start working out, dont waste your money on a fitbit (though they are cool) get a HRM that will have an accurate account of your workouts. Up to you, but since you want to know how much you burn lifting, the fitbit wont help, the HRM will.
  • jinlopez
    jinlopez Posts: 38
    Options
    Thank you all so much for responding so quickly and for such informative advice/answers.

I think I'll wait on getting the Fitbit...and look more into heart rate monitors, then... I run on a treadmill and can track calories burned that way....so I guess I don't really NEED a Fitbit. But...since I've started incorporating weight training into my routine...I need to know the calories burned.

Any suggestions on a reliable heart rate monitor?

Jin
  • jinlopez
    Options
    I recommend a HRM I have the Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor (Pink/Purple) that you can get on Amazon for $65, if you plan to really start working out, dont waste your money on a fitbit (though they are cool) get a HRM that will have an accurate account of your workouts. Up to you, but since you want to know how much you burn lifting, the fitbit wont help, the HRM will.

THANKS!!! Looking it up now!!! :)

Jin
  • jinlopez
    Options

THANKS!!! Looking it up now!!! :)

Jin

Wow!!! It even LOOKS pretty!! Lol....

Ok...so....if I could get a few more suggestions so that I could compare....I'd greatly appreciate it.

Jin

p.s. You all are so wonderful!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    I've had my fitbit for well over a year and it is mostly for running and walking. There other times where I have lifted and it'll get a good calorie burn reading on it and other times It'll act as if I haven't gotten off the couch. If weight lifting seems to be more your style of exercise, i'd go for a heart rate monitor.
  • Jesi0725
    Jesi0725 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Agreed!
  • jennewbury
    Options
    Hi Jin,

I just got the Motoactv by Motorola (3 days ago) and I love it (have only taken it off to sleep!). It counts my steps daily and It tracks how many calories that I burn a day through that.

It also comes with a heart rate monitor, GPS and MP3 player. I thought it would be too much for me, but I am LOVING IT! You can custom set workouts such as for weight lifting.

I love the website as the device sincs when you are in wireless range. You can then see everything charted, compete against yourself, compete against others and set work outs.

Its a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the garmin and it works great. Might have too many gadgets, but its a fun tool to use.

The only complaint I have is, when I am listening to music, tracking with the GPS, using the heart rate monitor and speed the battery only lasts for 8 hrs. :)

Jen
  • jinlopez
    Options
    Hi Jin,

I just got the Motoactv by Motorola (3 days ago) and I love it (have only taken it off to sleep!). It counts my steps daily and It tracks how many calories that I burn a day through that.

It also comes with a heart rate monitor, GPS and MP3 player. I thought it would be too much for me, but I am LOVING IT! You can custom set workouts such as for weight lifting.

I love the website as the device sincs when you are in wireless range. You can then see everything charted, compete against yourself, compete against others and set work outs.

Its a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the garmin and it works great. Might have too many gadgets, but its a fun tool to use.

The only complaint I have is, when I am listening to music, tracking with the GPS, using the heart rate monitor and speed the battery only lasts for 8 hrs. :)

Jen

Hi Jen!! Looking at it now!! Thank you. :)

Jin
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Before I purchase the Fitbit...I have a question. I scoured the entire Fitbit website, but couldn't find my answer. I know that the Fitbit is a pedometer and can track a lot of things, such as steps taken, stairs climbed, minutes slept, etc. But...can it track calories burned by weight lifting? Is it also a heart rate monitor? I need a device that will tell me how many calories I burned during the times that I lift weights.

Jin

no but you can enter your info for it on the site, what it sounds like your looking for is a hart rate monitor
  • jinlopez
    Options
    Hi Jin,

Jen

Hi Jen!! Looking at it now!! Thank you. :)

Jin

Jen - this thing is truly impressive. I'd probably just go for the 8gb, since I don't really need space for music. A teeeeeensy bit pricey...but...definitely looks worth it. Thanks again!

Jin
  • gizjos30
    gizjos30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i know weight watchers came out with one that monitors heart rate and you can go swimming with it