I'm sitting at a desk all day what should I do?

Options
So I am sitting at a desk all day for 8 hours and this is when I want to do something I just want to go outside and run (of course I can't do that I am at work lol) So while I am at work is there anything I can do that's some what a exercise but won't make me look like an idiot behind my desk! lol

Replies

• shannonj8489
    Options
    I'd like to know too!
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump.. always in the same boat
  • Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I usually use my breaks to go for a walk around the building.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I look like an idiot daily. Squats, chair dips, skullcrushers with a weight I brought, desk push ups, Even a burpee here and there......
  • lorik325
    Options
    I googled exercises at your desk and found this article. Some are practical some arent. And it depends on if you are at a cubicle, etc. I need to start doing something while Im at work asap!!

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/exercise-at-your-desk
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Get rid of your chair and use a swiss ball instead. You'll be making tiny movements all day long without even realizing it.
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I actually built a unit for my desk that raised it so now I have a stand up desk! I stand all day now!! I built it out of shoe racks.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't have an office or a cubicle. So I take the long way around to the printer when I need to get something, stand up to answer the phone, and I get up for a 5 minute walk every hour.
  • MissJenova
    MissJenova Posts: 258
    Options
    Honestly, just clenching your muscles can be a big help. It helps tone them and it's almost like squeezing a stressball!

My co-workers and I also do some minor exercise at certain points through out the day. Squats, push ups, lunges, even arm circles! Those might be out of your range, but it's just a thought. If others are doing it with you it won't look so strange :tongue:

You can even extend your legs while sitting and keep pointing your toes to flex your calves. Or do dips on your chair! Or get up once every hour or two just to walk around a bit.

Good luck!!
  • jfatheree78
    jfatheree78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm in a cubicle so I can get away with some stuff. I do leg lifts and chair crunches and I do some stretching exercises like neck rolls, arm circles and shoulder shrugs.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I sit at a desk all day too, I try to run in a morning or evening and do cardio as often as I can, feel free to add me, also read my blog RE stuff I've done, I'm no fitness freak either.

GOOD LUCK X
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Are you in an office? Or is your desk visible to others?

I've read about under-desk equipment, but I've never gotten any because I wasn't that committed to my lifestyle changes at the time, and they look pretty expensive. Currently, I just get up and walk around whenever I need something, rather than calling or emailing (unless, of course, the people I'm communicating with are not in the building). I dance in my chair a lot, and I fidget.
    http://www.squidoo.com/under-desk-exercise
    http://fitbie.msn.com/slideshow/lose-weight-before-noon/slide/11
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I sit somewhat forward in my chair so that my weight is mostly on my thighs, then I lift one side of my butt off the chair and then the other, that works my obliques. Drink a lot of water so have to get up and go to the bathroom frequently. When in the bathroom, go in the handicap stall which has lots of room and do some wall pushups and a chair squat with my back against the wall, hold as long as I can.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Get rid of your chair and use a swiss ball instead. You'll be making tiny movements all day long without even realizing it.

I agree with this one - I use a ball too. It's good to start slow though...try it for an hour a day then work up to more. It's great for strengthening your core and improving posture too
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I get up every hour and go to the bathroom for 3 minutes to do jumping jacks or running in place. Doing that for 8 hours will help you work out for 24 minutes.
    I also make sure I park futher away from my building to get more steps in.
    Every time the phone rings I stand up and talk.
    I go and ask my co-worker if I have a question about something instead of emailing her.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too. So I like to take a walk on my lunch just to stretch my legs and get some fresh air and I also get up frequently and take a walk around the office. I don't consider this exercise though. I work out when I get home. That's when I have the time to get in a serious burn.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot so I walk to the bathroon. I exercise before work and take a lunc b reak out of the office too. I also take classes on the evenings and weekends so I do the best i can.

I tnought about getting something to pedal under my desk but i asked around and it didnh't seem like it would help much.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I googled exercises at your desk and found this article. Some are practical some arent. And it depends on if you are at a cubicle, etc. I need to start doing something while Im at work asap!!

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/exercise-at-your-desk
    Thanks for that! I am fortunate enough to have my own office upstairs, so I can do most of those things without anyone noticing. The store's manager's office is right below me, though, so he might start wondering what the heck is going on up here if I'm doing jumping jacks in my office!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I vote for the Swiss ball chair. It does sound interesting.

Here's a neat article from a medical journal.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1924654/
  • bethmakesmusic
    bethmakesmusic Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You know I talked to my doctor about this and he suggested doing 2 sets of ten leg lifts every hour. You do it while you're sitting in your chair. just straighten your leg and lift it up as high ans you can while flexing your abs. It's worked great so far! Coupled with the rest of the eating better and other exersize i lost 2 inches around my waist in the last month!