Diet & Exercise All Week And Put On 2 Lbs?

Options
I've been following a strict diet and exercise routine all week and put on 2 lbs. I don't get it, I completely eliminated all junk foods, alcohol, etc. I'm eating 2000 calories a day, and do cardio for about an hour an yet I'm gaining weight? I see now why people give up on diets. I'm 220 lbs and want to get down to 185-190 lbs but at this rate I'll weigh 300 lbs. How am I putting on weight??

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Read the article " why the scales go up from new workout, please read" I think that's the title of the thread in this section...explains a lot!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It's been a week.

It's more than likely water gain.
  • lpowelllaw
    lpowelllaw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's weight from muscle you're building from the exercise. That's why most trainers will tell you not to judge how much weight you're losing by the scale, but by how your clothes fit.
  • sarahleeroy
    Options
    The scale can be so misleading...I weigh myself every day, and there are some fridays where I do weigh more than I did on the last friday, even though overall I am losing weight. No the weight is probably not muscle from the exercise because putting on even one pound of muscle takes longer than one week, and no you have not stalled out your metabolism. It's water, which fluctuates all the time.

A few weeks ago I was concerned b/c I had lost about 3 pounds, then slowly I crept up to 4 pounds heavier than that lowest weight. I kept on doing what I was doing, not allowing myself to get discouraged, and then bam, I was down those pounds again plus some in a few days. I knew I had lost the fat, but the water weight wasn't showing it on the scale. I had also been a little constipated which I'm sure played a factor in it too.

Don't get discouraged! Keep doing what you're doing and you will see a change in the scale. If you still don't see any change in the next week or so, then you might need to make some adjustments like lowering your calories or carbs.
  • fkrohn
    fkrohn Posts: 1
    Options
    When I was in college and went out for the field hockey team, I gained 10 pounds, solid muscle, and was skinnier than ever. Don't lose heart! Muscle weighs more than fat. It also burns more calories, so a moderate weight gain can be a good thing when you start a program as you have described.
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The scale can be so misleading...I weigh myself every day, and there are some fridays where I do weigh more than I did on the last friday, even though overall I am losing weight. No the weight is probably not muscle from the exercise because putting on even one pound of muscle takes longer than one week, and no you have not stalled out your metabolism. It's water, which fluctuates all the time.

A few weeks ago I was concerned b/c I had lost about 3 pounds, then slowly I crept up to 4 pounds heavier than that lowest weight. I kept on doing what I was doing, not allowing myself to get discouraged, and then bam, I was down those pounds again plus some in a few days. I knew I had lost the fat, but the water weight wasn't showing it on the scale. I had also been a little constipated which I'm sure played a factor in it too.

Don't get discouraged! Keep doing what you're doing and you will see a change in the scale. If you still don't see any change in the next week or so, then you might need to make some adjustments like lowering your calories or carbs.

This is me! minus the constipation.. lol.. I started mfp a month ago at 1300 calories and did cardio 5 days a wk and didnt lose 1 pound and then i uped my calories to 1600 because i was starving and tired all the time and started losing weight. Then i started doing ripped in 30 and have gained the weight back i just lost the wk prior! Its very frustrating at times for me because you see people losing tons of pounds and im like im working my butt off and not losing the pounds.. I have been losing inches though but i still want the pounds down and am wondering how long that is going to take to happen..
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Don't lose heart! Muscle weighs more than fat.

No...it doesn't...1 pound of fat and 1 pound of muscle weigh exactly the same...
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It is NOT muscle gain in a week. It is likely to be fluid. Your poor muscles working out every day and not recovering, they're going to be inflamed (swollen with basically fluid) to try and repair them. A small bottle of water weighs a pound - just imagine how little water that is spread around your whole body. If its any consolation, Ive been exercising really hard most days for 3 weeks now, and eat 1200kcal, and Im up slightly. Most days my muscles are achey. Just KEEP GOING!!! You can do it and you will see results in time. I know its frustrating (I am the same situation) but it has to come off eventually. Good luck!
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

No...it doesn't...1 pound of fat and 1 pound of muscle weigh exactly the same...

Here we go again :D:D:D
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

No one is disputing that. It's really sad that you can't understand the meaning of this very simple statement.

Also, he did not put on 2 pounds of muscle in a week.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options

No one is disputing that. It's really sad that you can't understand the meaning of this very simple statement.

Also, he did not put on 2 pounds of muscle in a week.

Au contraire I disputed the statement that muscle does not weigh more than fat. It's really sad that you can't separate the two issues. Go troll another post
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    measure yourself with a tape measure and think about getting a fat caliper. the scale is not the best way to measure yourself and your progress.