Serious lack of greeens... What ones do you like best?

Options
I eat mostly lettuce when it comes to greens. I am not very sauvy at this yet and would love some new options :)

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Spinach. It is affordable and is super-duper full of good ingredients. I put it in my smoothies, scrambled eggs, and use it instead of lettuce in my salads.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Spinach. It is affordable and is super-duper full of good ingredients. I put it in my smoothies, scrambled eggs, and use it instead of lettuce in my salads.

does it taste better raw than canned? canned spinach makes me gag. IN YOUR SMOOTHIES O.O whats that like?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've tried a couple of mixes at WalMart recently by a company called Marketside. One is called Herb Mix and includes chards, cilantro, spinach, baby romaine, radiccio, arugala, dill and several other greens/herbs. The other is called Half & Half which is half baby spinach and half spring mix. Both make great fillers for a wrap or good salads. Just check the expiration dates as they sometimes have them still up on the shelf even if they expire in a couple days.
  • bebeelynn
    Options
    If you add spinach and kale to your protein shake with 1/4 of an avocado and 1 whole (or half) a frozen banana, it is sooooooo good, you don't even know that there are veggies in there. If you add some unflavored protein powder that is always a bonus.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I've never tried canned spinach, so I have no idea what it tastes like. Raw spinach in smoothies is flavorless, all you taste is the fruit. My favorite spinach smoothie recipe:

1/2 cup lowfat plain yogurt or kefir
    1 orange or 1/2 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup pineapple chunks
    1 stalk of celery
    a small handful of fresh parsley
    1-2 cups of baby spinach leaves, packed
    1/2- 1 cup of ice

Blend until a beautiful brilliant green color and enjoy. It is light and refreshing and not too sweet. It is my go to drink when I feel a cold coming on as it seems to really rev up the immune system.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Fresh spinach is nothing like boiled spinach. It tastes good as a salad and in a lot of stuff. I think there's something odd about it when it comes out of a can. Granted, I prefer most of my veggies flash frozen.
  • meeper123
    Options
    well I am going to try all this worse thing that happens is I dont like it right? I bet it will be great and I LOVE smoothies :D
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli! Steamed or added to stir fries. I'm obsessed with it! <3
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Broccoli and baby spinach leaves are my favorite greens. I quit eating regular lettuce a long time ago. I only use baby spinach in my salads now and on sandwiches.
  • meeper123
    Options
    I love broccoli! Steamed or added to stir fries. I'm obsessed with it! <3

OH yeah! I like that too.... why didnt I think about it
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOVE baby spinach

Arugala,kale,green beans, zucchini,asparagus and green peppers make up the rest of the green veggies I regularly consume
  • meeper123
    Options
    kale people keep saying that whats it taste like? Just like any other greens?
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I really like cabbage and Brussel sprouts. Brussel sprouts when fresh and not over cooked are VERY tasty. My husband disagrees but he does like them better roasted than over cooked like so many others do!
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Kale has a very distinct flavor and is very crunchy like. I like it, but it's not the easiest to grab and get right in my experience.
  • baturtle
    baturtle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Swiss chard! (fresh -- very fresh is best). I usually wash, then put them briefly in boiling water, drain off the water. Then heat some olive oil with garlic and a bit of crushed red pepper flakes, and stir fry. Yummy!
  • meeper123
    Options
    I really like cabbage and Brussel sprouts. Brussel sprouts when fresh and not over cooked are VERY tasty. My husband disagrees but he does like them better roasted than over cooked like so many others do!

never tried them raw hmms
  • meeper123
    Options

Kale has a very distinct flavor and is very crunchy like. I like it, but it's not the easiest to grab and get right in my experience.

can you get it from walmart??
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    i love green veg. Spinach, broccoli, green beans, peas, all at the top of the list for me.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I make a ham and kale portugese soup. It's just a broth with ham, diced potatoes, and kale that is cooked just long enough to wilt it and make it tender. Even my kids like it. They call it curly leaf soup.
  • AliSmith2915
    AliSmith2915 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've honestly never tried Kale raw, but cooked Kale is great! I add it to soups (I have a copy-cat recipe for Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana that uses it that is AMAZING and tastes just like it). I should try it raw sometime...