Serious lack of greeens... What ones do you like best?

2»

Replies

• zeoplum
    zeoplum Posts: 2 Member
    I keep baby spinach on hand for wraps so I like to make a quick salad from just that. Dice up a little onion, throw in some unsalted sunflower seeds (great source of monounsaturated fats) and add a little vinaigrette and it's super easy and only about 115 calories!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Spinach, brocolli, green beans, peas

Those are my go-to greens. I also eat white potato, corn, & soy beans daily.
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    kale people keep saying that whats it taste like? Just like any other greens?

Kale has a very distinct flavor and is very crunchy like. I like it, but it's not the easiest to grab and get right in my experience.

can you get it from walmart??

Most likely. I've seen it there before. But in NYC we don't have a wal mart. I don't think Kale is going to be the answer you are hoping for. Fresh Baby spinach is easy and I eat it daily with carrots on a wrap. I couldn't live without it.
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    I really like cabbage and Brussel sprouts. Brussel sprouts when fresh and not over cooked are VERY tasty. My husband disagrees but he does like them better roasted than over cooked like so many others do!

never tried them raw hmms

Not raw. Just not over cooked. Cut them in half. Spray them with a fine mist of olive oil or cooking spray. Add salt and fresh cracked pepper and maybe garlic powder. Cook in the oven in a single layer on 375ish until the edges start to get a little crisp (Not black!) which is about 35 minutes maybe. Note that this does NOT work with frozen. You need fresh. Frozen has too much water loss.
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    I love brocolli and green beans, steamed. raw sliced cucumbers, with the peel still on. And asparagus is good, too.
  • Tashax0
    Tashax0 Posts: 1
    Green beans, Broccoli, Cabbage, and Brussel sprouts (when in season) are a few favourites of mine!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    My favourites are cabbage, peas and green beans...I sometimes make a mix of all of them and lightly steam them for a snack..yum.
  • I have been doing a spinach smoothie in the morning with almond milk, peanut butter, and banana. It's pretty yummy. Sometimes I add protein powder especially after I work out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I like most greens. Beet greens, collard greens, kale, turnip greens, mustard greens. I love 'em. Cooked with a little olive oil and a lot of fresh garlic is my favorite. But steamed and topped with a little low sodium soy sauce and slivered almonds is quite yummy too.

My favorite cooked is collard greens. I could eat them every day. My husband likes kale best. I don't care much for mustard greens alone because I think they are bitter, but they are good mixed with another green.

For salads I like the lighter stuff like spinach or arugula. These are great if tossed into a stir fry just as you take it off the heat so that they wilt, but not so much that they get slimy.

I also like to use greens cut into thin ribbons in wraps instead of lettuce. And they are really good mixed into marinara sauce.
  • mmachick2011
    mmachick2011 Posts: 55 Member
    Spinach. It is affordable and is super-duper full of good ingredients. I put it in my smoothies, scrambled eggs, and use it instead of lettuce in my salads.

does it taste better raw than canned? canned spinach makes me gag. IN YOUR SMOOTHIES O.O whats that like?

Not gonna lie... the thought of canned spinach made ME gag too!! It is fine in smoothies- no taste change at all... just looks... odd.
  • PurpleCoyote
    PurpleCoyote Posts: 24 Member
    I'm a bit of a fan of greens, I love peas and green beans, but I'm a huge fan of asparagus, green peppers, any kind of cabbage, leeks, spinach and I do really like pak choi too. Mmm hungry now :)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    I really like cabbage and Brussel sprouts. Brussel sprouts when fresh and not over cooked are VERY tasty. My husband disagrees but he does like them better roasted than over cooked like so many others do!

never tried them raw hmms

Not raw. Just not over cooked. Cut them in half. Spray them with a fine mist of olive oil or cooking spray. Add salt and fresh cracked pepper and maybe garlic powder. Cook in the oven in a single layer on 375ish until the edges start to get a little crisp (Not black!) which is about 35 minutes maybe. Note that this does NOT work with frozen. You need fresh. Frozen has too much water loss.

must try it :D
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Spinach. It is affordable and is super-duper full of good ingredients. I put it in my smoothies, scrambled eggs, and use it instead of lettuce in my salads.

does it taste better raw than canned? canned spinach makes me gag. IN YOUR SMOOTHIES O.O whats that like?

Not gonna lie... the thought of canned spinach made ME gag too!! It is fine in smoothies- no taste change at all... just looks... odd.

ok sweet so going to try it :D
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

IMO canned greens should be outlawed. They are overcooked to the point that they've lost most of their nutrition and taste slimy. Frozen is good because they don't need cooked further, just warm and eat. But fresh is best. And they cook up in just a few minutes so canned doesn't really save much time.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 644 Member
    My favourite green veg is peas and green beans I think. I could eat peas with every meal, there is no other veg that passes that test. When I was a child my mum used to have to hide the green beans until I'd eaten some of the other food or I would only eat beans. These days unfortunatly I live away from home and in a flat, so no more fresh form the garden beans for me =( which is the reason I'm less keen on them now unless i'm at my parents'.