When to do strength training...

Options
I'm in the process of losing fat (by doing mainly cardio) but I also really want to start strength training to tone up. I'm just not sure if it's best do it while losing fat, after losing it, or if it even matters. Any advice? :huh:

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I think the best way is to have both cardio and weight training. :)

I wish I'd started weight training sooner, I'm now 'skinny fat', desperate to tone up. Would've happened a lot sooner if I'd combined weights and cardio. :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    do it now.
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another topic

"At first I started running, before I joined the gym. Once I joined the gym I started to do weights. I would suggest you do both at the same time. Although you will gain muscle, so the scale might depress you, just remember it could very well be muscle.

Muscle also helps you to burn fat. The more muscle you have the more fat you are capable of burning.

So my suggestion is to change your exercise routine on a regular basis. Your body becomes very efficient at doing things for example running. So to keep your body guessing, and to utilize all of your body components its great to do different things. For example running one day, rowing in the gym or on the lake the next, then maybe eliptical trainer on a hill climb setting, the next a bike ride, swimming another day etc. You can do weight training on those days as well. You can also do any classes your gym offers. I was nervous at first, but now I LOVE them! Especially body pump. Its a fantastic way to tone and get your cardio in one session!

Remember that REST is just as important as exercising. Your muscles need time to heal. Of course eat a healthy well balanced diet :-)"

so yea I do weights & cardio :-)
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    "The New Rules of Lifting For Women"

Get it. Read it. Live it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of losing fat (by doing mainly cardio) but I also really want to start strength training to tone up. I'm just not sure if it's best do it while losing fat, after losing it, or if it even matters. Any advice? :huh:

Yes, it definitely matters. You say you're in the process of losing fat, which is partially correct. You're actually losing weight, which is a combination of fat and muscle. Lifting, along with a high protein diet, will help retain muscle, meaning more of the weight you lose will be fat. And ultimately, that should be your goal.

So I say start lifting as soon as you can.
  • GrumpyAG
    GrumpyAG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can definitely combine losing fat and strength training!! It is said that a pound of muscle will burn between 30-50 more calories a day then a pound of fat will. However after a few weeks of strength training your weight lose may plateau but it doesnt mean your not losing fat it's just your body fat % will be dropping and lean % rising. This' when it's good to look at inches lost rather than worrying too much about weight loss...hope this makes sense!! :)

Oh and also strength training will in turn improve your cardio performance, so win win :)
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    do it now.
    you have yet to post something i disagreed with. also, pugs are awesome.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not needed for fat loss, a caloric deficit is. You can achieve that deficit from diet a lone or a combo of diet and cardio.

It is important to strength train so as you lose weight the majority is fat loss. If you don't lift, don't get enough protein and/or have too large of a deficit a large % of your wight loss will come from lean muscle. Strength training helps mitigate how much muscle you lose as you lose weight.

In other words, start lifting yesterday, and focus on that more than cardio.

The ealrier you start the lower your BF% will be at your goal weight.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Start it NOW! All the time is the best time to do it!
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    When to start? When you're ready. Seriously strength training has really good health benefits for women. It also tones you up really nice.
  • pag41989
    pag41989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend doing it now. Combining cardio and strength training will help you reach your goals :)
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

I have not read any other post in this thread so I am sure I am being repetative, but, NOW. If you wanna srsly do it right, check this out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Do it now. If you want a lean, sculpted look, start right away! I've been running and doing various weight/strenght routines in coordination. I love looking in the mirror and seeing my shoulders and biceps and quads. Do it now!!!
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not needed for fat loss, a caloric deficit is. You can achieve that deficit from diet a lone or a combo of diet and cardio.

It is important to strength train so as you lose weight the majority is fat loss. If you don't lift, don't get enough protein and/or have too large of a deficit a large % of your wight loss will come from lean muscle. Strength training helps mitigate how much muscle you lose as you lose weight.

In other words, start lifting yesterday, and focus on that more than cardio.

The ealrier you start the lower your BF% will be at your goal weight.

^^^^ This. He's also very knowledgable so I recommend friending him for advise :).