F for First Day of Crossfit

Options
So I failed to complete my first session of crossfit. I got extremely dizzy during: the ball throws with a squat, the burpees, and learning how to hold a bar (starting in a squat). The dizzy feeling went away if we moved on to something else (like jumprope, box jumps, or running), but when we got to learning how to lift it became too much and i had to go sit down outside. (really awkward on your first day, I tired to hang in there but definitely did not want to pass out.)

I finally got standing again and my knees felt so weak, I told the trainer that I was just going to go home. He asked me "Are you sure?" I felt even more embarrassed saying "Yeah I'm sure"

It was really hot that day, 99 degrees, but everyone else there seemed just fine working out in the weather.

Any advice for try number two?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You will know that you won't do worse !!!
  • OtterAmber
    OtterAmber Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You will know that you won't do worse !!!

I surely hope not! :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is TOUGH! Most people have a scaled down workout for their first few weeks even. Don't give up. It gives a great introduction to weight lifting.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    So I failed to complete my first session of crossfit. I got extremely dizzy during: the ball throws with a squat, the burpees, and learning how to hold a bar (starting in a squat). The dizzy feeling went away if we moved on to something else (like jumprope, box jumps, or running), but when we got to learning how to lift it became too much and i had to go sit down outside. (really awkward on your first day, I tired to hang in there but definitely did not want to pass out.)

I finally got standing again and my knees felt so weak, I told the trainer that I was just going to go home. He asked me "Are you sure?" I felt even more embarrassed saying "Yeah I'm sure"

It was really hot that day, 99 degrees, but everyone else there seemed just fine working out in the weather.

Any advice for try number two?

It was your first day.... and they had you do all that?! :noway: Do they not have an on ramp course they put you through to gauge your current fitness level? That doesn't seem right if they just through you into the WOD expecting you to do it all your first day...
  • OtterAmber
    Options
    It was your first day.... and they had you do all that?! :noway: Do they not have an on ramp course they put you through to gauge your current fitness level? That doesn't seem right if they just through you into the WOD expecting you to do it all your first day...

No, It was an on ramp class there were four of us. He taught us proper form of everything, we did it once, then two in a row, ect up to 5 times.We rested maybe 5 - 10 seconds before starting the next set in the assent. Then we moved on to the next thing. Like for the box jumps he put people on smaller boxes if they couldn't jump as high. I don't think there was anything else he could modify...? He didn't really do much to gauge our fitness... apparently mines not great.. ha!

It was a fairly basic class. We did foam roll, 400 m jog, 5 sets of wall throws, 5 sets of purpees, 5 sets of box jumps, ~5 minutes of rope jump, 5 sets of learning how to stand and do weight lifts (with no weight) in about 25 minutes.. possibly less, when I got in my car it was only 30 minutes after we started. After I sat down they started a real workout. It looked like they were doing some form of what we had learned. Maybe he went to fast?
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options

No, It was an on ramp class there were four of us. He taught us proper form of everything, we did it once, then two in a row, ect up to 5 times.We rested maybe 5 - 10 seconds before starting the next set in the assent. Then we moved on to the next thing. Like for the box jumps he put people on smaller boxes if they couldn't jump as high. I don't think there was anything else he could modify...? He didn't really do much to gauge our fitness... apparently mines not great.. ha!

It was a fairly basic class. We did foam roll, 400 m jog, 5 sets of wall throws, 5 sets of purpees, 5 sets of box jumps, ~5 minutes of rope jump, 5 sets of learning how to stand and do weight lifts (with no weight) in about 25 minutes.. possibly less, when I got in my car it was only 30 minutes after we started. After I sat down they started a real workout. It looked like they were doing some form of what we had learned. Maybe he went to fast?

Don't measure yourself even by the others in your ramp up class - measure you by YOU.

Try the next class, take breathers whenever you need (and definitely if you feel dizzy!!!), and keep at it. You'll start to see improvements - being able to do something you couldn't before, doing it longer, etc. Take it at whatever pace YOU need.

Good for you for starting it up, it can be really intimidating to start a new exercise! :)
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Sounds to me like they should have given it another day before going at it like they did. They really should have gone a lot slower on the first day to really see exactly where your level of fitness was at. But don't worry. My first day at CrossFit I was only supposed to do the warm up to see how fit I was. (you had to be able to do the warm up 3 times through before you could join in a WOD)…. I threw up before even making it half way through just one round of the warm up…:laugh: lol. but now I am a total badass :wink: So don't feel too bad, we all start somewhere!
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    could it have had anything to do with what you ate or didn't eat before the workout? That always plays a big part in how I perform....but with that being said....I think for you to get as far as you did the first day is admirable!!!!
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Sounds similar to how I felt the first day of my first boot camp. It was through the university rec center and everyone else was a fit college student, while I'm a 34 year old not so fit woman who had just given birth 6 weeks prior; so I wasn't anywhere near their level. Just push yourself as far as YOU can go and don't worry about what everyone else is doing. Stick with it and I'm sure you will notice your endurance increasing in no time.
  • OtterAmber
    Options

Sounds to me like they should have given it another day before going at it like they did. They really should have gone a lot slower on the first day to really see exactly where your level of fitness was at. But don't worry. My first day at CrossFit I was only supposed to do the warm up to see how fit I was. (you had to be able to do the warm up 3 times through before you could join in a WOD)…. I threw up before even making it half way through just one round of the warm up…:laugh: lol. but now I am a total badass :wink: So don't feel too bad, we all start somewhere!

Actually I when I got there the girls I was with had done Day 1 already so I would do Day 1 next time I went meaning we were doing day two.

Well I guess I am not the only one hitting the wall. It felt like it when I was there, with everyone looking at me.:embarassed:
  • OtterAmber
    Options
    could it have had anything to do with what you ate or didn't eat before the workout? That always plays a big part in how I perform....but with that being said....I think for you to get as far as you did the first day is admirable!!!!

Thank you! :happy:

I was afraid of eating too close to the workout because I get sick, next time I may try to eat a shot block when we start.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If you are working out in the morning, I would add more protein and carbs to your breakfast, at least an hour before.
  • OtterAmber
    Options
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Sounds similar to how I felt the first day of my first boot camp. It was through the university rec center and everyone else was a fit college student, while I'm a 34 year old not so fit woman who had just given birth 6 weeks prior; so I wasn't anywhere near their level. Just push yourself as far as YOU can go and don't worry about what everyone else is doing. Stick with it and I'm sure you will notice your endurance increasing in no time.

Thanks for the advice!
  • OtterAmber
    Options
    If you are working out in the morning, I would add more protein and carbs to your breakfast, at least an hour before.

Usually on long runs I do eat a few hours before. I worked out in the evening, so adding on a snack a few hours before would be a good idea.