do you like to eat it slowly?

Options

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    i recently read an article saying that thin people generally eat slow. i'm just wondering if that's true because i like to eat fast!

I don't have anything scientific to add, but from personal experience, my sister, who has always been thin, eats much slower than me. I will be done eating and looking for more to eat, when she is about 1/4 of the way through her food. This was always a problem for me at restaurants that had things to eat on the table, like chips and salsa, because I would then polish those off while waiting for her.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I eat so fast my plate spins. I wish I could slow down.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yeah I like to take my time and also take pictures of what I eat.
  • crystal_darling
    crystal_darling Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I eat slow. I've always eaten extremely slow.
    Everyone who has ever eaten with me will comment on the fact that I eat really slow.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I think that there might be truth to it. I have heard that it takes your body like 20 minutes to get the "im full" message from the brain to stop eating. Thats great if you take at least 20 minutes to finish a meal. But if you anything like my boyfriend, its more like 3 minutes. So then it wouldnt really work.... That and if youre like me I ignore the I'm full message so that makes that theory not work either.

But then again I know a few overweight people that eat incredibly slow.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It takes me at least an hour to eat lunch b/c I'm too busy typing to all you lovelies to lift the fork to my mouth.... and I'm not thin, so that whole concept is bogus.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I eat ridiculously fast...like finish my lunch in literally 3min or less kind of fast. You'd think someone was going to take my food away by the rate I eat. I portion out my food and if I'm still hungry, I make sure I wait a while so my body can catch up to the food and I can tell if I'm really still hungry, otherwise with my fast eating I'll eat too much and feel disgustingly full soon after.
  • ErB56
    ErB56 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am an extremely slow eater. I think some of it relates to 'why' you eat. We had one of those 'know your style and your co-worker's' tests years ago at work. One of the questions was do you eat because you are hungry or do you eat for the experience. It was a 1-10 scale thing. It got me thinking. I am a very slow eater because I LOVE food (which is also why I am here on MFP!). I eat for the flavor and enjoyment much more than simply because it's 12:00 and time for lunch. If I eat quickly, I miss out on all the fun!
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I call BS on this idea. I eat nice and slow so I savor every bite..................and I ended up with a big *kitten*.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I eat fast, and lots. I have nothing of value to contribute though, unfortunately.

Disappointed!
  • MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    I like it slow, rhythmic.
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i recently read an article saying that thin people generally eat slow. i'm just wondering if that's true because i like to eat fast!

I never ate slow even the 30 some years I was thin
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I always eat slowly, yet I gained over 100 pounds over 15 years. So take it for what it's worth.
  • katymcd81
    katymcd81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I practically inhale my food...I am making a conscious effort to chew properly and eat slowly though.

I have found eating slowly does two things for me: I feel fuller at the end of the meal than I would have if I'd chomped it, and by chewing properly (and therefore not swallowing so much air, and digesting my food more fully rather than having it part-digested and fermenting in my gut :sick:), I don't bloat nearly so much, which is important for me, having IBS. So I can definitely see how the 'thin people eat slowly' thing would work.

That said, my husband is also a quick eater and he can eat whatever he likes. :grumble:
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I like to eat it nice and slow at first, but then I tend to speed up and end up getting into a nice rhythm........ Now I'm hungry.
  • _Thanatos_
    _Thanatos_ Posts: 166
    Options
    This is one of my problems. I eat far too fast. It's just instinct to me. Once I dig it, it's go time.
  • bossladyday
    bossladyday Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love eating slowly. I started doing it way back when when I did the atkins in the 90's and still do :)
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I can't eat slowly. I don't think its possible lol
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I have always eaten very slowly and I have been chubby for many years. I know people of all sizes who eat at all different paces. I wish I didn't eat so slowly because I can't take a quick 30 min lunch...I am just too slow.
  • kaa02c
    kaa02c Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The rate at which you eat has nothing to do with size. People eat fast and are thin. There are people who eat slowly and are obese!