Need some advice re: walking and my knee

Options
Quick background: I'm 41 years old, 5'6" and started at 255. Over the past year (later this month is my MFP anniversary) I have lost 62 pounds. My exercise of choice is walking on my treadmill. I started out slow (3 mph for 15 minutes) and now I am up to 3pm for 60 minutes, several times a week. There are some days I only go 30 or 45 minutes, but there are some days I can go longer.

Wednesday of this week I did 60 minutes on my lunch break, and then did another 45 minutes in the evening. When I woke up on Thursday, my right knee felt funky. It doesn't feel iike sore muscle...it is one specific sore spot on the edge of my kneecap. It hurts most when I go UP stairs.

So...my question is this...should I push through the pain? If I just need to get used to longer distances, I am fine with pushing through. But if pushing through is going to screw something up permanently, I don't want to push through. Anyone out there (fitness trainers, etc) have any advice for me?

thanks!

Replies

• PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    When it comes to knees I don't think "pushing through the pain" is a good idea. I tore up my left knee years ago and to this day it still hurts like hell if I put too much pressure on it. Have you tried wearing a knee brace to see if that helps with the pain?
  • AmandaH04
    Options
    I have horrible knees, no cartilage in either of them, arthritis in both of them and bursitis in my right connecting tendon of my knee, so I don't fool around with my knees at all. My ortho dr said, swimming or biking and keep my walking to a minimum. My suggestion is giving your knee a rest, maybe a day or two. Can you take up another exercise? I know your body gets used to your exercises and you need to switch it up every couple of weeks. I never do the same workout, I switch it up all the time. I push myself harder some days and others I don't. My exercise of choice is swimming, my body feels the best in the water :0) I know my advice isn't helping much, but I suggest not pushing your knees. You need those knees. Go ride a bike, its easier on your knees at least for a day or two, of course then your butt will hurt, hahahaha. Love you girly, hope you figure out what it is and make it work for you!
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Is the sore spot on the outside lower edge of your knee cap? if so it could be IT band tightness. Other option is something called Runner's Knee, and that usually presents on the front of your kneecap. For IT band what helps is specific stretches (google I.T. Band stretches and you'll find them). For any other soreness the secret with knees is ice (10 minutes 3-4 times a day) and rest 2-3 days or until pain subsides. also you want to take some kind of anti-inflammatory (personally, I prefer advil).

I'll be you haven't damaged anything, you just have an overuse injury. If so, if you rest it rest it it'll get better. If it doesn't improve within a week, then you want to consider going to see someone.

I personally don't advocate knee braces. What you need to do is make the supporting muscles more strong - knee braces make them atrophy. If you are going to wear one, make sure it has a cut-out for your kneecap. Without that the kneecap can't track right and you will make things worse.