Tough Mudder?

Options
Anyone training for Tough Mudder...or done one? I am training now (even though event not until 2013) but i figure i need all the training i can get! Anyone got any training tips or experience to share? I figure there has to be more people out there who have done a TM or planning one?

Replies

• lilgemforgets
    Options
    bump!!........anyone????
  • merd0210
    merd0210 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am training as well, my brother and I are planning on Austin in April. Right now I do kickboxing/strength training and a crossfit class. I dont run right now as I am in roller derby season but plan on starting back up around christmas and hope to get up to at least 10 miles (I don't know if this is possible but im going to try). My crossfit trainer told me I shouldnt have a problem doing tough mudder as long as I keep up with my current exercis level but I am REALLY worried about the 12 miles of off and on jogging/running as I have NEVER been a runner.

Again bump, anyone out there done tough mudder and can give us suggestions.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm eyeing the Tough Mudder in Atlanta next April. I'm really starting at zero with any cardio/running right now, so I've told myself if I can do a respectable 10k by mid-October when the registration fee goes up another notch, then I can sign up and get more "serious" about other training.
  • CiarraCA
    CiarraCA Posts: 56
    Options
    I havent done one, but my co-worker is training for one he has started by running 2 miles per day and strength training.
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    By brother in law did it last year in Oz. He says to mainly work on running about 6 miles. Even though the course is 10-12 miles you have to queue for so long at the obstacles that you recover quickly for the next bit of running. (Does that make any kinda sence??) I am still going to try to build to run 10 miles though. I have only been running 2 weeks and did 4 miles yesterday so getting there! Although the jump to 10 will be huge!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I really want to do a Tough Mudder. I just don't want to travel a long way to do one. I did a Warrior Dash last April and it was great!! It was in the state I live in. Mississippi. I plan on doing it again next year and try to beat my time....I'll still keep my eyes open for a Tough Mudder close to me.
  • greenbox06
    greenbox06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am training for it right now. Will be doing the one in AZ in Feb. 2013. I train 5-6 days a week.

Day 1: Upper body strength train mainly focusing on back with as many pulls ups as I can do. Then I run 3 miles with the last mile being interval running ( this will help increase the distance since I am a little out shape my run is only 3 miles it will increase to 5-6 with intervals more frequently

Day 2: Run as far as I can no intervals. Core body training

Day 3: Similar to day 1

Day 4: Similar to day 2

Day 5: Full body strength train. Bicycle for 30 mins then run 2 miles( 1 regular 1 interval)

If there is a day 6: it is usually just dedicated to running.

The main thing about the tough mudder is you will be using a lot of core muscles. You will have to lift you body weight quite a few times. That is why I concentrate on pull ups unassisted and other core exercises. I use a lot of free weights too.

If you notice I am far from my weight goal. A month ago I made the decision to stop with a weight goal. I keep missing them and get discouraged. So I decided to find an event that would challenge me and train for it. I don't care how much weight I lose while training for it because my goal is to complete every obstacle at the tough mudder.

My co-worker said the same thing about the running portion of the event. Even though it is 12-13 miles there is a lot of down time at the obstacles. However you should strive to run at least 10 miles. That's what he told me

He says it's hard but I can't imagine it being harder than basic training for the Army. :happy:

Sorry for the longer post hope that information helps

Jonathan
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm planning on doing it!

Can't wait!!

Doing two mud runs in a month to get the feel for the mud run thing.
  • SlimPossible8
    SlimPossible8 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Training here for the October 2012 Carolinas event! Im doing Insanity right now. Got about 3.5 weeks left, when its over i plan to work on the running (up to 6 miles), strength training, and Plyometric exercises. Im really excited ive wanted to do this for over a year but there was not an event close enough to me. NOW THERE IS! Yay!
  • jshort152
    Options
    I currently have two clients training for the tough mudder and my advice would be three HEAVY metabolic resistance training workouts a week with one or two cardio days to get your conditioning up as well as muscular endurance for all the obstacles, hope this helps! :)
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I did the Warrior Dash and am getting ready to do 5k The Hard Way and Dirty Girl. I started by doing the C25K program and lifting/core work. The BIG thing that I didn't prepare for was the hills. I could run the 5K no problem, the hills put me under. So I say toss in outside running or that awesome stair treadmill thingy at the gym.

Get ready to impress yourself. I looked at a lot of the climbing stuff like I was insane. When I made it over, I was insane with happiness. Get em!!!
  • BenChase
    BenChase Posts: 169
    Options
    i am currently training for my first race of any kind, it's a new race called conquer the gauntlet, which is basically as far as i know, just like tough mudder but only 4 miles- 30 obstacles right now i run 4 miles 6 days a week-do insanity 6 days a week- and do a bootcamp 2 days a week- 1 day of rest a week, which falls on a 10 hour work day so it's more or less just an "easy" day, so far i've been doing great and feel like i will be ready in 6-7 weeks or so when race day comes around, i will probably look into tough mudder sometime next year after i train for a longer amount of time :)
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I'm a long way out fitness wise but I AM going to do one. I am determined. It just looks too awesome (and hard) not to do. I may send some of you add requests, I'd really like to follow you and see how it turns out. Exciting!!! :bigsmile:
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you advice! I am currently working mainly on building my fitness, then in a month or so will get back on the weights too!! Gotta be able to haul my *kitten*!!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I would love to do one of these, but that's a long way off for me. If you're looking for a good training plan, have you considered the Tough Mudder Boot Camp?

http://toughmudder.com/tough-mudder-boot-camp-training/
  • janey2607
    janey2607 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first Tough Mudder in May 2013, have a half marathon to do beforehand in 6 weeks time then getting some serious boot camp style training going on. They do have a training plan on the website though.

Can't wait!!!!
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am mine is on Sunday Sept 23. It is a 5k which I'm ok with but worried about the military style obstacles in the mud...lol
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Okay...so I'm signed up for next June in Colorado. Luckily (or unluckily), my husband did it this year, and I went with to cheer him on, so I know what I'm in for! Currently I'm doing bootcamp three days a week and TRX one day. It's been too stinkin' hot to run outside much! So now I'm starting to sign up for some 5Ks to make myself get out and run. I might do a half marathon a month ahead of time, just to prove to myself that I can go 12 miles - although a marathon 12 and a Tough Mudder 12 are very different! I will probably up the TRX to gain more upper body strength in the fall/winter, but I'm trying to get a bum shoulder healed up before I push it farther. After watching it - upper body strength is a HUGE key. But most importantly, is your team. These obstacles are designed for a team, not for time.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I've done it and the most helpful training would be for endurance and for the upper body for sure :)