Going over always with sugar

Options
FoodPwnr
FoodPwnr Posts: 153 Member
I had a half a pear with my overnight oats for breakfast, and a half a granny smith apple with my lunch...I constantly go over on my sugar...I thought fruit was suppose to be goood....sigh...do I cut out fruit? I have opened my diary for tips...cause i'm at a loss

Replies

• columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say not to worry about the sugar. But for me it makes a difference. You can look at my diary. I don't eat fruit, corn, sweat potato's, sweet peas, or bread 6 out of 7 days a week. I have a cheat meal on Fridays. But i still stay at or under my calories on the cheat meal day.
  • sarahp333
    Options
    Fruit is good for you, even if there is sugar, especially since fruit provides fiber. While dieting I try to keep the fruit to 2-3 servings a day. But if you are hungry and it's the only healthy snack you have on hand, it's ok to go over a bit - just try to eat it in the morning or lunch time, that way you have all day to burn the sugar off.
    Certain fruits have more sugar and calories than others - like a banana may have a lot of both, watermelon or any melons relatively low. Melons are mostly water so you can be a little more flexible with eating them. Since the fruit sugar is natural I would just concentrate on the calories of whichever particular fruit you are eating.
    I'm not sure how you're measuring your sugar, but maybe there are other items you're consuming that have hidden sugar? Some vegetables like red peppers and onions can have some sugar too.
    Hope that's helpful
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/398155-how-much-fruit-can-you-eat-on-a-diet/
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I had a half a pear with my overnight oats for breakfast, and a half a granny smith apple with my lunch...I constantly go over on my sugar...I thought fruit was suppose to be goood....sigh...do I cut out fruit? I have opened my diary for tips...cause i'm at a loss

If it were me I'd just use some common sense with food selection (for example, eat a varied diet with lots of vegetables, fruit, lean meats, and on occasional treat, as opposed to a diet where all your carbs come from pop tarts) and beyond that I wouldn't worry about sugar intake assuming you are not diabetic.

I would remove sugar from your tracker and start tracking protein intake.

Lastly, the timing of your carbohydrate intake doesn't matter even if that piece of fruit you eat causes short term fat storage. If you are eating in a caloric deficit, over the course of time fat oxidation will exceed fat storage. That small amount of fat will be oxidized for fuel at a later time.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • lisanorman6
    lisanorman6 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

If it were me I'd just use some common sense with food selection (for example, eat a varied diet with lots of vegetables, fruit, lean meats, and on occasional treat, as opposed to a diet where all your carbs come from pop tarts) and beyond that I wouldn't worry about sugar intake assuming you are not diabetic.

Lastly, the timing of your carbohydrate intake doesn't matter even if that piece of fruit you eat causes short term fat storage. If you are eating in a caloric deficit, over the course of time fat oxidation will exceed fat storage. That small amount of fat will be oxidized for fuel at a later time.

AGREED!

I took a look at your diary and you don't seem to consume high levels of refined sugar. I agree that you might consider just removing the tracking for sugar and really track your protein. I would advise against cutting out fruit (I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV) since it provides nutrients that your body needs and will crave if you cut it out. Personally, I have a sweet tooth and fruit really helps to curb that.

I think it's important along this journey to allow ourselves some grace. It's easy to get caught up in tweaking a zillion things, thinking that if you just do this or cut that out, there will be a magical drop in weight. Yes, cutting out unhealthy things, etc is appropriate. But after reading your journal I'd say you're doing very well. Don't be a slave to the numbers. You are doing fantastic!
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I try not to stress about sugars coming from fruit. Sugar is sugar, but REFINED sugar is a much bigger enemy. Fruit has so many more nutrients that are doing GOOD things for your body, whereas something like a chocolate chip cookie has sugar but not many nutrients. Fresh fruit is much better than alternatives when it comes to sugar intake. I go over my sugar almost daily because of eating fruit with breakfast and in a post-workout smoothie. I HATE seeing those red negative numbers, but as long as it's coming from such a healthy source, I just have to get over it.
  • Martin1946
    Options
    Fruit sugar is the best for you, like anything in moderation

Don't go for added sugar foods
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options

i agree with this. I don't watch sugar. I do limit refined sugars though.
  • BenChase
    BenChase Posts: 169
    Options
    pretty much what everyone else is saying, long story short (in terms everyone understands) you have simple sugar complex sugar, and fiber - simple is any sugar you add to anything,and makes your levels spike and then shoot way down = bad for you - complex is found in fruit ect.... it's "natural" sugar and will keep your levels more steady throughout the day = not too bad for you..... last week my ideal sugar was 484 and i had 1755 which = -1271 for the week.... i'm still right on track where i want to be, because i eat ALOT of fruit, it's not bad for you and don't worry about it so much as long as you are doing good on your other goals ;)
  • FoodPwnr
    FoodPwnr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice and the links were very helpful reads much appreciated
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

I'd say keep the fruit and cut out the bread. Fruit is way better for you, and comparitively fewer calories overall than bread/oatmeal/etc.

Agree with the above: don't bother tracking sugar separately - track carbs. And definitely track your protein!
  • Towny15
    Towny15 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi,

I've posted this in a couple of other places on here because I found it so helpful.

This:

http://www.fdf.org.uk/publicgeneral/gdas_science_Jul09.pdf

is a good read for the science and research behind the UK's daily recommended values for calories, fat, fibre and sugar - it's only a 2 page fact sheet but it's explicit as to what the recommended breakdown of sugars should be.

Basically, it's 11% of your food energy from "Non-Milk Extrinsic Sugars" (i.e. all added sugar in processed foods, fruit juices, etc. I call it "naughty" sugar!), 7% from "Intrinsic Sugar" (natural sugar from fruit and veg) and 2% from "Milk sugar" (dairy).

Assuming 2500 calories a day for me (on a non-workout day) (and that 1g sugar = 4kcals), that's 68g from "naughty" sugar, 44g from fruit and veg and 12.5g from milk.

For a woman on 2000kcal/day, that equates to:

55g naughty sugar
    35g from fruit
    10g from milk.

The figures were designed like this to take into account the 4-5 portions of fruit and veg we should be eating. I just tweaked my sugar values in MFP to match the extrinsic value above (68g in my case), and then I know that if I have my 5 portions of fruit and veg and no more than 0.5-1pint of milk a day I don't have to worry about the sugar in them.

It also means that if you exercise and burn more calories, your sugar allowance goes up and MFP increases it to reflect this.

Hope this helps - it put my mind at rest because there's a lot of contradicting info on the net!

James