Am I doing low-carb wrong?

Options
I've been doing a low carb diet according to this book I bought and they keep saying how within 24 hours you can be feeling really **** and by day three you should feel weird and day four and five are awful. Everyone says low-carb sucks. But literally I think I've been doing it right and I feel as right as rain - Im not constipated or feel gross. I have a tiny headache but thats probably because I didn't drink enough today. Am I doing something wrong? I feel exactly the same as when I started, I don't even miss carbs that much even though I was a total carb-queen before.

Here is my food diary for the last two days

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo49/capital_me/Picture8.png

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo49/capital_me/Picture5.png

Replies

• vidchick73
    vidchick73 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm doing low carb/high protein to get that ketosis thing going but my carb intake is managed with shakes and limited vegetables daily. The way the dietician explained it to me is that the first few days there might be some problems, headaches, tired, etc. On day 1, I did have a few headaches but nothing that I needed to medicate for. On day 2 I felt good enough to assemble a new kitchen cart, but I was a bit tired, too tired to exercise. Day 3 and 4 I was tired, day 5 I was back to normal, albeit a bit cranky because everyone around me was eating real food.

I can't say that I'm really missing the carbs either. The shakes satisfy the need that I have for something sweet. What I miss are the savory carbs, mostly something like potatoes. The smell of french fries still drives me over the edge and I'm in my third week of doing this.

The only standout that I am noticing with your food diary and mine is the amount of fat. I have about a third to half the amount of fat that you have. Of course,I'm not eating much meat these days, my fat comes from the shakes. Maybe make leaner choices in meat and the try to eliminate cheeses? The caloric intake and protein you get from the cheese may not be worth it just due to the fat? And maybe try to up the fiber intake with some more green veggies?

Oh man, I love cheese. I think my colleague is eating a grilled cheese sandwich right now. Ugh.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I was craving carbs because i was thinking about it for a few days but I felt fine when I first started. My husband on the other hand felt like he was sick for like a week and a half, then all of a sudden had energy and felt great. It probably depends on the person I would think.
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed so no one will be able to tell if you're doing low carb right or wrong. Are you eating a lot of fruit still?
  • ForTheLastTimePlease
    Options
    No fruit at all - and the links I put in are screenshots of my diary :)
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    aha! Silly me:) I had the carb flu hard for around 2 weeks, but I was still eating a few carbs here and there. When I completly went off carbs doing the Whole30, I was good.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    You're doing everything right. You're getting plenty of fat (which your body needs for fuel now), enough protein and your carbs are low enough to enter ketosis if that's your goal and you keep eating this way. Not everyone experiences the same degree of "carb flu" symptoms and one of the ways to minimize them is to get enough salt which you probably are from the bacon and bologna.

Good luck and I hope you have much success. :smile:
  • ForTheLastTimePlease
    Options
    Okay, well thanks :) I guess I just really want this to work and I'm trying really hard but it feels too easy! Maybe because I'm living alone right now and I got rid of all temptation... I dunno.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    I had a longer adjustment period, probably because I started out just trying to eat under 100g of carbs which was just too much but it really is easy. It's great. lol
  • lienna1
    lienna1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I really dont think low carb is the only option, you need carbs to fuel muscles, i just dont have alot after 2pm
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    I really dont think low carb is the only option, you need carbs to fuel muscles, i just dont have alot after 2pm
    Judging by your ticker you've had much success so you've obviously found what works best for you. Congratulations on your fantastic achievement. :smile:

Do you really think low carb is so popular now that people think it's the only way to lose weight, though? From my perspective, it seems just the opposite -- everyone seems to ready to tell me it's dangerous, unhealthy or stupid. Sometimes all three.
  • sarahelen1
    Options
    Hey I am new, but heres my 2 cents for what its worth, I lost 50 pounds on atkins in 2002.... I kept it of until the past 3 years, havent really changed too much of what I eat but the weight started to come back, I immediately did a really strict carb intake and I gained more weight, I joined here to change it up, I dont think you are doing anything wrong, I think people worry about the "potential" side effects when they start, but they dont happen to everyone, YOU ARE LUCKY , plain and simple!!! Good Luck